Registry and Gift Forum

Bridal Shower for People Not Invited to Wedding

We have decided to have a small wedding with only our immediately family, grandparents, and best friends. Most of my extended family doesn't know this yet. My grandmother (who does know that it will be a small wedding) insists that I have to have a bridal shower with all my aunts and friends. My fiance and I already live together and don't need anything other than money to be honest. I think it's extremely rude to invite people to a bridal shower who aren't being invited to the wedding. I feel like it will make me look greedy and I don't even want a bridal shower! I'd love some suggestions on how to handle this situation tactfully.

Re: Bridal Shower for People Not Invited to Wedding

• Politely decline the shower.  Tell your grandmother that you are having a small wedding and that it is inappropriate to invite people to a shower who are not invited to the wedding.
    Anniversary
  • Yes.  This:

Politely decline the shower.  Tell your grandmother that you are having a small wedding and that it is inappropriate to invite people to a shower who are not invited to the wedding.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_bridal-shower-people-not-invited-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:7b717a42-4ad0-47ef-aa3b-8096446f85b7Post:653e827e-de76-49df-9444-1363a912c77a">Bridal Shower for People Not Invited to Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have decided to have a small wedding with only our immediately family, grandparents, and best friends. Most of my extended family doesn't know this yet. My grandmother (who does know that it will be a small wedding) insists that I have to have a bridal shower with all my aunts and friends. My fiance and I already live together and don't need anything other than money to be honest. I think it's extremely rude to invite people to a bridal shower who aren't being invited to the wedding. <strong>I feel like it will make me look greed</strong>y and I don't even want a bridal shower! I'd love some suggestions on how to handle this situation tactfully.
    Posted by RayRay220[/QUOTE]

it will, most likely.

i would politely decline this shower. dont be afraid to. H and I declined a 'stock the bar' party that we were offered (we are not that close to the couple, and neither them nor anyone going to this shower would have been invited to our wedding) and TBH.....i think they just wanted a reason to drink and party (thats how they are)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_bridal-shower-people-not-invited-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:7b717a42-4ad0-47ef-aa3b-8096446f85b7Post:8370fac2-125b-4901-9214-7f2e1c28153d">Re: Bridal Shower for People Not Invited to Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're right on all counts. <div>
    </div><div>"Thank you, but I don't feel right about having a shower with guests who can't attend the wedding."</div><div>
    </div><div><strong> If she pushes.... "What about a dinner party/luncheon/etc after the wedding?"</strong>
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

</div><div>Yuupppp. Otherwise, just politely decline</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_bridal-shower-people-not-invited-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:7b717a42-4ad0-47ef-aa3b-8096446f85b7Post:608a4ee5-5989-4b82-9d82-4ee73c380ddd">Re: Bridal Shower for People Not Invited to Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Politely decline the shower.  Tell your grandmother that you are having a small wedding and that it is inappropriate to invite people to a shower who are not invited to the wedding.
    Posted by shortee426[/QUOTE]

Agreed. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks everyone!
  • While tradition says to decline the shower, there are exceptions.  If you do choose to host a shower, be sure to indicate on the invitation that the gests lists are separate. This will allow guests won't expect an invitation to the wedding and can shoose if they would like to attend the shower: http://theetiquettespot.com/bridal-shower-invitation-wording-private-wedding
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards