Indiana-Indianapolis

Recently Engaged and in need of help!

I want to get started in planning but first thing first I need a reception location!  I have a caterer already but am having problems finding a reception site that doesn't cost a fortune.  I want to build my own reception my caterer is great and very reasonable.  I am in need of a hall that allows adult beverages, will allow outside caterer, and can fit about 200 ppl seated. 

I have looked into the different parks and recs, golf clubs, hotels, and halls.  Any other suggestions, tips, or ideas would be great!  I am def.  working with a small budget :) 

Has anyone ever heard of schools renting out facilities? 

Thanks!

Re: Recently Engaged and in need of help!

• edited December 2011
    Where are you located and do you already have a ceremony location?
  • edited December 2011
    yeah where are you looking like in what area? Valle Vista Golf Course in Greenwood is AMAZING! We also looked at The Columns and The Grafton Peak Ballroom both very nice places. I believe all three allow outside caterers but they all three have websites also.
  • edited December 2011
    knights of columbus allows you to bring in ur own food. if you dont mind me askinh where are you having yourceremony at? im n need of a pace
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_indiana-indianapolis_recently-engaged-need-of?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:611Discussion:5373104f-5bba-4ec4-8a95-bc887b091a00Post:4ec05452-a261-4834-9876-b43acc7f1381">Re: Recently Engaged and in need of help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]yeah where are you looking like in what area? Valle Vista Golf Course in Greenwood is AMAZING! We also looked at The Columns and The Grafton Peak Ballroom both very nice places. I believe all three allow outside caterers but they all three have websites also.
    Posted by mrskantz[/QUOTE]

Valle Vista and Grafton Peak do not allow outside caterers, I don't think Columns does but I could be wrong.

Has your caterer offered any venues they have caterered at before?  Are they on any lists of approved caterers?
  • EmmieLouVUEmmieLouVU member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well I am looking in the north part of Indy (Noblesville, Fishers, Carmel) and def the smaller maybe less pricey locations.  Like Cicero or Zionsville.  We want to either have our wedding at the Fishers or Carmel Catholic church.  We like both and attend both but never decided on which one to joined and now it looks like we are looking at about a thousand for the church.  So now i am questioning that too!  I called Forrest Park Inn and it's a great price at 450 but only holds 150 and I need 200! 
  • edited December 2011
    Schools (Other than coleges) Won't let you bring alcohol on site. That's why a lot of reunions aren't held at the school, because then you can't have drinks. Have you looked at Fisher's conference center? I'm not sure if they do ouside catering, but I went to a wedding that had the ceremony at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel and then the reception there (it's off of 69) It's a nice looking hall that isn't huge, and there's a hotel right beside it.
  • edited December 2011
    and with Catholic Churches, I found that most of them were around the 1000 range. I used to go to Sacred Heart in Cicero and I don't think they cost that much to get married there, and they might be able to work with you on not being members because it's smaller. And there's a hall attached.

Or what about Our Lady of Grace in Noblesville? They have a big hall attached too.
  • jpharisjpharis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, schools/universities do rent out their facilities. I had my reception at Anderson University. They would not allow alcohol but for us we weren't having any so that was no big deal. But definitely check into that, because they are usually great spaces and typically they let you bring in outside catering, etc.
  • PhotoMotoPhotoMoto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Which church in carmel/Fishers?  I used to belong at SLDM, we now go to SEAS which is where we got married.  They have a hall you can use and I don't know the costs if you aren't a parishiner.  it was $250 for the church for us as members.  Send me an email if your interested in SEAS (its at 106th and haverstick) My husband is a member of the knights there and I can have him get you some information or a contact name for renting the hall. (email link in siggy)

SLDM is free for parishoners (at least they were a year ago)  I don't konow about non members, but they have a hall also.

I didn't look before I typed this, when is your wedding?  SEAS is flexible with the "book a year in advance" rule as long as its with in reason, SLDM is not.

Good luck
  • EmmieLouVUEmmieLouVU member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone....

We actually are going with Our Lady of Grace in Noblesville and have become members.  Wierd we thought the church was farther away but really it isnt any farther than the others and my Grandma, Aunt and Uncle our members there as well.  We found out on Palm Sunday my Fi distant relatives belong there as well!!!  :)
  • mkiefer009mkiefer009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you need the best videographer?

• cherkimbroughcherkimbrough member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you please contact me?  I can help.  I'm a wedding planner!  317.258.5429
  • Jennings2012Jennings2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    War Memorial Downtown is the only place I know that is resonable and that you can bring in your own caterer
  • edited December 2011
    When you get to the point of looking for music, please check out www.heart2heartduo.com for classy, romantic music for the early portion of your reception.
    Good luck with all your plans!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards