North Carolina-Outer Banks

Advise where to find a house..

Ladies I need some advise. I have been searching different websites for event homes to have my reception at for my wedding next May. My Fiance wants to have it anywhere BUT Duck, Corolla, and the souther shores area.  I can't find anything that is able to hold 75 + people. I did speak with one lady at a place about a house we loved and she blew me off pretty much she contacted me 2 times and and not said anything else back to me. I have sent emails and have not heard a thing. We are going down with his parents in a couple of weeks and to look at homes but I wanted to have a few homes in mind to look at before we went.

Anyone have any advise for me... I am stressing out and its only the beginning.. UGh!!

Re: Advise where to find a house..

• OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I gotcha girl...no worries :)

Try this one.  I called and they said it will hold up to 100 guests, so this may be perfect for you :)

http://www.joelambjr.com/rental/house.html?ID=907

I have actually been in this house and it has a lot of old Nags Head charm to it!  Threy are currently rennovating it so I'm not sure if that means all new furniture too but the nice thing is there is a separate HM house for you and FI.  you can call and ask what the rennovations are going to be like.

• OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011

You may also want to try  this one too:

http://www.outerbanksblue.com/rental/house.html?User=OBB4639&ID=330&Avail=&Stay=7

I dubbed this one "The Compund" b/c of how big it is, lol.  I'm not sure how many guests they allow so you would have to call.

The absolute easiest way to do this is to Google "vacation rental homes in Nags Head, NC" and it will bring up every single Mgmt. company down there and you can just call and ask which homes can hold 75+.

I will give you a heads up now, that there aren't a lot of them out there.  I don't want to be Debby Downer here, but just want to prepare you.

Are you thinking of having your reception at the house?

Ohhh...and where in VA are you from?  I'm in Richmond :)

• edited December 2011
    my fiance and i are renting from brindley beach.  they had quite a few house if i remember correctly that held 75 people.  you can check the availability online.  here's the website.

http://www.brindleybeach.com/WeddingSitesandAccommodations.htm

good luck!  i was very stressed at first as well.  it is all overwhelming.
  • hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Not sure if you are interested in the Hatteras Island area, but these are beautiful homes that I am pretty sure can accommodate 75+ people.  You'd have to call and ask them,  but they are very helpful.

The Love Boat - http://www.hatterasrealty.com/rental/house.html?ID=275

Croatan Ridge - http://www.hatterasrealty.com/rental/house.html?ID=421
    Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • LRPardyLRPardy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG just got home from the Woodmere!!  LOVED IT!!  The renovation was amazing and the place is just perfect.  All our guests fell in love with the place.  We had 26 people staying in the house and I believe that the property will allow for a tent.  The owners are trying to position the house as a wedding property and I think it would be something to seriously consider.  My husband and I stayed in the honeymoon cottage which was nice to be able to get away from everyone.   The great room comfortably held 30 people for dinner but we did not have a structured reception w/dancing; however, the land outside is perfect for a large group.

• kmburroughskmburroughs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG thanks for all the advise, I will have to check out the pleaces. I was alway all weekend and was not near a computer.. which was nice for a change..

I have gooled outer banks vaction homes and everything else I could think of but just getting over whelmed with all the places and homes.. and trying to contact them for a listed of event homes has not been fun eiter.

O I am in Midlothian VA...
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    See I looked at this house online and was thinking it was not up to date and that it would be a little out dated for my taste but I will have to check it out in person b/ i have seen  a lot of people say they had their wedding there.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Everyone keeps saying they love this house, I will have to check more into it, I have always seemed to skip right now this house b/c I thought it was just a bit outdated. But I will have to look into it. Someone was saying they were having renovations to it, were there nice or they did they not do them yet while you were there?
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    Km...I am from Midlothian too!  ;)

I think LRP was saying that the renno is complete and that it's gorgeous on the inside.  I was down there 2 weeks ago and they had crews there working on the house so they must have just finished it recently.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would love to see pics, I called Joelamb Jr today and they said that they just picked up the property and they didn't know much about it, which I think is odd, why dont you know about renovations. I  am headed down in 2 weeks so hopefully I will be able to look at it but I dont know if someone will be in there.  She was just telling me about the wedding they just had there, I am assuming that was you LRPardy.. 

I was thinking about having the reception at the house and the ceremony on the beach.. I really just want something fun and intimate for my close friends and family. 

O nice, Midlo as well, I assume you are having your wedding in the outer banks as well.. what are you plans?
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    If you call Joe Lamb the week before you go down in 2 weeks, they will more than likely let you in the house that morning since check-out is 10am and check-in is 4pm.  Most of the time, the mgmt co's are really nice about that kind of stuff.  If for some reason, you can't get into the house, still drive by and be nosey...no one will question you so it's good.  We do it all the time with different houses, lol.

Yes maam...I am 9/16/11 with an oceanfront ceremony at beach house in Nags Head and the reception is at 108 Budleigh in Manteo.  I fell in love the moment I walked in and just knew it was our venue :)

Woodmere has been around for awhile, but that's the great thing about it....it still has the Old Nags Head charm to it :)  I love all of the woodwork throughout the house. 

Let the mgmt co's do all of the work for you...that's what they are there for.  Just call them and ask which homes allow weddings/events and if they have any that can accommodate up to 100.  They can tell you a lot quicker than searching through house after house...etc.

Let us know what you decide to do :)

• LRPardyLRPardy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Holy crap are we all in Midlothian!?  I just moved here a few days before the wedding.
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011

Get our LRPardy!  That is too bizarre :)

I wonder if any of us have ever run into one another without knowing it?

Hmmmmmm......lol

• LRPardyLRPardy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, I've only been here since April 14th so not likely... lol  :D

Cheers,
    Laura
  • edited December 2011
    Hi!
    I know you said in your first post that you wanted anywhere but Duck and Corolla, but we have several event homes that can host up to 100 guests.  My name is Melynda and I work for Twiddy and Company.  If you think you might change your mind, please check out our event homes.  I am happy to answer any questions that you might have. 
    http://www.twiddy.com/weddings/homes.aspx

You can also email me directly at mwoody@twiddy.com.

Good luck with your planning!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm, I wonder if we have, well LRPardy said that she just moved here, but you never know.. I think I am going to go with the Woodmere. I have been looking around the internet b/c i want to see pics of someone who may have had their wedding.  Just so I can see how it will work out. Like I said I am going down in a couple of weeks so I am hoping that I will get a chance to walk though it, the lady told me that there be a wedding that week that I am coming down but she was going to talk to the bride, so hopefully she will be understanding and let me walk through a few days before the wedding obviously..
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    What day exactly are you going down?  Woodmere rents Sun-Sun so if you are going to be there Sun morning, you should be able to see it after whomever checks out and before the other group checks-in at 4pm. 

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So I went down to nags head ladies, and we went with the Woodmere. It is like a diamond in the rough as  my FML called it. :) I see so much we can do with it. My FI is not as excited b/c he likes "NEW" but I love the old nags head feel it gives. While I was there, they just had a wedding there and there was a wedding on the beach.. It was really nice.  

I just wanted to let you ladies know what I ended up with. Thanks for all the advise!! :) 
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    Yayyyy!!

I'm so glad you had a chance to take a look at it....I will now think of you everytime I ride by it ;)

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aw you r so funny!! I am super excited.. How are your plans coming along?
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    Things are going really good :)

June will be spent making the invitations to go out the first week in July, I need to finish flowers and figure out what these boys are going to wear.  Other than that, I think I am pretty much finished except for small things along the way like the OOT bags for guests. 

How about you?  How are other things coming along like catering, etc.?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards