New Jersey
Options

Unemployment and name change

A few days before our wedding I found out my company will be closing Jan 1. I will be filing for unemployment at that time, my question is what to do about my name change. Should I do it before I file? After? Or just wait to change until the unemployment collecting is over even though that could be quite awhile in this market.

If it makes a difference I will be hyphenating.

Thoughts?

Re: Unemployment and name change

• Options
    GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Im so sorry you got this news right before your wedding. If you do change it, make sure you do it everywhere before filing, ie: at work, on tax and bank statements, SS, etc. This way, it will be as simple as possible for UI to process your claim. I'm not sure how it works when a company closes and there is no one to verify with, but you'll want everything to be consistent in case UI denies your claim and you have to prove you are you for the duration of your employment. I'd probably wait until after, just to be safe. But that's just me... I think you'd be fine either way, especially if you hyphenate. Im in HR but don't work directly with UI; this would be my best guess. If you want, on Monday I'll ask our payroll manager who is the expert. HTH!
  • Options
    sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It shouldn't matter, because when you change your ss, it should automatically update your unemployment.
  • Options
    cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear about your work closing :(

It really doesn't take long to change your name. If you have your marriage certificate already, then it only takes an hour or so at the DMV, and then two weeks to get your new social security card. Then, just have your work update your tax info, and you should be all set. I think you'll be totally fine by January 1st if you change your name within the next month. (changing your name on your bank account is easy too. Just stop in at a branch with your ID and marriage certificate and they will change it for you immediately). So I'd personally just do it now.

• Options
    NJhousewife22NJhousewife22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh I just realized I have holiday plane tickets in my old name so I can't even change it until Jan 1 if I wanted to. THough I suppose I could change it immediately in January, THEN file for unemployment, but then that wouldn't match my payroll name. Hmmmm....what a pain!
  • Options
    cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_unemployment-name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:f1929e9a-7ebd-4845-a28e-8e8df9437302Post:627d6dae-f561-4b5a-8722-43a98f8ccc4f">Re: Unemployment and name change</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ugh I just realized I have holiday plane tickets in my old name so I can't even change it until Jan 1 if I wanted to. THough I suppose I could change it immediately in January, THEN file for unemployment, but then that wouldn't match my payroll name. Hmmmm....what a pain!
    Posted by NJhousewife22[/QUOTE]

You can still change your name now with Social Security and your driver's license, just don't change your passport yet. (You can use your passport for Domestic travel too. A passport = Driver's License for ID purposes).

I did that for my honeymoon, because it was booked in my maiden name so I just used my passport for ID. I had absolutely NO problems/issues whatsoever. (I brought a copy of the marriage certificate with me just in case, but didn't need it).
  • Options
    NJhousewife22NJhousewife22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_unemployment-name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:f1929e9a-7ebd-4845-a28e-8e8df9437302Post:ee50fe74-fd42-4c1d-b0f9-cfd80c092f78">Re: Unemployment and name change</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unemployment and name change : You can still change your name now with Social Security and your driver's license, just don't change your passport yet. (You can use your passport for Domestic travel too. A passport = Driver's License for ID purposes). I did that for my honeymoon, because it was booked in my maiden name so I just used my passport for ID. I had absolutely NO problems/issues whatsoever. (I brought a copy of the marriage certificate with me just in case, but didn't need it).
    Posted by cindyn9178[/QUOTE]

<div>ooh I may try this. I've always used my passport as my ID when I traveled (even in the US) so this may just work.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards