California-Napa
Options

On to caterers...

Hi Ladies,

I'm starting my catering search and have 7 to choose from.  Like all wineries, I have to choose from their vendor list (which is perfectly fine with me).  I'm getting REALLY nervous about the prices.  What has everyone's experience been with caterers?  I'm working with approximately $3K for food, rentals, servers, etc, and we're having 50 guests.  These are the vendors I have to choose from, so any feedback from my fellow Knotties will be great!

Broadway Catering
Elaine Bell Catering
Melissa Teaff Catering
Park Avenue Catering
Piper Johnson Catering
The Girl & the Fig Caters
Wine Valley Catering

Thanks everyone!!

Amy
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: On to caterers...

• Options
    mooselissamooselissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Amy,
    Your list is very similar to the  caterers that I had to choose from. I got quotes from most of those and Park Avenue was by far the best value. Prices were coming in around $80-$100 per person (no alcohol included).

Good luck!
    Mel
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Mel!

I spoke to Park Ave yesterday, so now I'm just waiting for a quote.  It took over a week to get a quote back from Piper Johnson, and all together it was more than I expected.  Fortunately, I'm not in any rush.

I'm so glad to hear Park Ave is reasonable.  She was really nice on the phone, so I'm anxious to get the quote!!

Have a great weekend!

-A
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I had my tasting with Park Ave yesterday and we all really liked it (my MOH and her hubby where in town and they hosted all four of us). They were great by their own right, and considering how much less expensive they are, if was a no brainer for us. So happy to have them officially booked!

Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!  One more thing to scratch off the list!  Quck question for you...how long did it take for Park Ave to get back to you with a preliminary menu quote?  It's been over a week, but I'm not sure if that's normal for them.

TIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The girl & the fig have AMAZING food.  At least their restaurants do!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OK so that is a rough list. Yes Park Av is cheap but I've heard bad things about their service. Girl and the Fig is sooo good, had them at a party not that long ago. Can you look into other places? Trends and A La Heart are my favorites!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my quote from Park Ave in about a week. I've heard only wonderful things about their service (and they've been wonderful to me). My DOC also used to work there. If you have a choice, ask for Chaz--he's been really helpful and his name pops up in a lot of the online reviews I've seen. I'm sure there are other very amazing places out there. I LOVE the Girl and the Fig restaurant, but they were beyond my budget. Of my approved list, Park Ave was the clear winner.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    mapledonutsmapledonuts member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a tasting at Piper Johnson. Wasn't impressed. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nikki - I have to use their list of their approved caterers unless I want to pay a extra fee.  Why do you think that's a rough list?  My contact at Buena Vista said they use Park Ave for all of their winemaker dinners and highly recommend them.  I'm guessing Girl & the Fig is out of our price range...I know the restaurant is!  Thanks for the feedback!

M - I just heard back from my contact at Park Ave...her kids were sick all week, so she'll get me a quote next week.  I just didn't know how long was too long to wait.  What kind of menu are you serving?

J - I got a quote from Piper Johnson...$97 pp, which is way more than we can afford.  I'm looking at all of my options, but good to know you weren't impressed.  Did you pay $150 for the full tasting?

Thanks all!

Amy
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went through the full list of options and realized that two of our favorites were included in the Wine Country Buffet. Because it's a "chef's choice" it's a discount...and since we liked the entrees (tri-tip with a pinot noir reduction and parmesan crusted chicken breast with a lemon-arugula pesto) we were happy to go with the suggested sides and get a little bonus savings. We haven't decided if we're going to do buffet, plated or family style, but we have plenty of time to figure it out. The tasting was really great--I'm already trying to figure out which entree I want... :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used Piper Johnson for our wedding and while the food was good, their service was terrible! Piper is b*tchy, and it took forever to get any sort of response from them. Avoid!

ETA: We wish we would have gone with Wine Valley or Elaine Bell. While they were more pricey, they were all about the bride. You get what you pay for in the end.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    My little firecracker. Born on her due date,7/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker MarriedBio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got my quote from Park Ave & it was even more than Piper Johnson!  I'm going to look into Wine Valley & Elaine Bell as well.  It's just tough doing this around the holidays...I'm sure they're really busy right now.

I think I need to rethink my catering budget.  The rentals are KILLING me!  The rentals cost as much, if not more than the food itself.  Ugh...lessons learned, I suppose.  I never dreamed it would cost $5000 tofeed 50 people!!! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yikes!! PJ isn't on my approved list, so I never checked with them. For me, both Wine Valley and Elaine Bell were much more than Park Ave...I hope you get better results!! I was shocked about the rentals, too! 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A month later....

Everyone is right around $5k, which I think is INSANE for 50 ppl, but we're resigned to the fact that this is what we're going to have to spend.  At the end of the day, all that matters is that FI & I and our family & friends have a wonderful time.  Nickel & diming ourselves to death won't get us anywhere!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    we are using broadway catering.  The owners are super nice and the prices are very reasonable, will definitely be within your budget!  The food is great as well.
  • Options
    Where is everyone having their ceremony/reception at? Looking for ideas...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards