Muslim Weddings
Options

Marrying a Muslim and Converting...

Hi all...my FI is Muslim and  I will be converting to Islam before the wedding.  I have nevre been very religious but my family is catholic so we are having a civil ceremony before the large reception.  I would like to incorporate some Muslim or Arab tradtions into the ceremony but really am not sure what would be approporiate. His family is from Palestine... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Marrying a Muslim and Converting...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    So i am a Catholic marrying a Muslim.  We are being official married by a Iman and then having a 'fake' walk down the aisle ceremony.  

As for traditions, we are including arabic music, and we aren't having alcohol.  FI is egypitain.  We talked abt a belly dancer, but he said no.  I may have a henna party.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I am a muslim woman and I am marrying a muslim man, although we may have a traditional bengali wedding in most normal muslim weddings they have nasheeds or islamical music and a walimah party. Marrying in a masjid with an Imam, crescent moons, quran, minarets etc...
    Henna, a wedding hijab veil, a walimah party which is like a bridal shower but usually after the wedding like a reception for the bride with the other muslimas in the community.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The basics for a muslim marriage is the mahr, the contract and the imam in a masjid. The other details are up to your personal preference. In bengali culture which is what my fiancee is ,  you have a henna party for both man and woman, they have a feeding of the bride and the groom and just other cultural or regional preferences. Some other suggestions is maybe a bohemian music band or artist. No tables but plush big pillow cushions and lots of silk or sheer drapes. Sandals and belly beads or something arabisque and exotic.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for all of your input!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was raised Catholic in Canada. When I was 15, I looked into Islam and decided that it was the right religion for me. I wouldn't be too worried about marrying a man who is Muslim. Hopefully he is a practicing Muslim, in this case you can be assured that he will give you your rights and fulfill his responsibilities. My suggestion: Don't convert for his sake. Look into the religion. I can assure you that you will find a logical and peaceful faith that stresses the importance of intentions in every action. Make sure that if you are going to convert, that you are doing so for the sake of ALLAH, not for your fiance's sake.

My mother is also a woman who married a Palestinian Muslim. There were a few glitches simply because it was not our culture but the food is great, the people are warm, and the more religious they are, the better you are treated.

I welcome you to email me anytime if you're ever curious about the religion or need clarification! It took some time for me to get used to things as a Muslim, but I'm now pursuing a religious studies degree because of my passion for this faith and can talk for hours! Let me know if you need anything. Muslims are a family, brothers and sisters and I'm more than happy to help my sisters in Islam anytime! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    looking for an Iman to perform the ceremony, in houston. can anyone recommend one. thanks 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wish you a lot of luck mashallah for converting your childern will be on the right path having one faith in the house. Read as much as you can on islam before converting it will bring you peace and comfort. I think you are making the right choice and I am sure your wedding will be beatiful!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wish you a lot of luck mashallah for converting your childern will be on the right path having one faith in the house. Read as much as you can on islam before converting it will bring you peace and comfort. I think you are making the right choice and I am sure your wedding will be beatiful and Palistinians are amazing people!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards