North Carolina-Raleigh-Durham
Options

XP: Honeymoon road trip with short stay in NC... need some input :-)

FI and I started planning our honeymoon last night, finally, after being disappointed that our original honeymoon plan didn't work out due to finances. Our original idea will still happen, as an anniversary trip down the road.

With that said, we decided to take a road trip from PA to NC (Burlington to be exact as that is where my cousin lives and is letting us stay in their place for a few days while they are on vacation). On the road trip we've decided to take small day trips to Washington, DC, Colonial Williamsburg/Jamestown, and also to drive the Blueridge Parkway or Skyline Drive on the way home. While in NC, we will attend 3 minor league baseball games (we are big baseball fans and I also work for our local minor league team so it'll be neat to check out the similarities/differences)- Durham Bulls, Carolina Mudcats, and Burlington Royals. Before the games, we would like to spend the day visiting the cities in which they're located and get a taste and feel for the area.

I'm hoping to get ideas of things to do while in any of the locations I've mentioned. Is there a specific place you'd recommend to go eat, visit, shop? We are very excited about this trip and would like to get the most out of it that we can. We'd love to hear about those little known places that are worth going to. I know where I live, we have those but they don't ever show up on any websites as recommendations.

Thanks in advance! And if you think there's another board I should post this to, please let me know that as well :-) 
Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: XP: Honeymoon road trip with short stay in NC... need some input :-)

• Options
    You *have* to get nc barbecue! I can recommend a few places in durham. I think they have something set up at the old bulls stadium (where Bull Durham was shot) that talks about it. Duke gardens is beautiful tp walk through when its blooming
    May 2013 Siggy: Flowers imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I highly recommend going to a Greensboro Grasshoppers game over the Carolina Mudcats. Garner doesn't really have much to offer as far as tourist attractions are concerened. Greensboro has tons of great museums and a neat Downtown area.

While in Durham for the Bulls game, you can drive a little further to Raleigh. Raleigh has wonderful museums, you can tour the capital, and the food is amazing. Especially in Downtown Raleigh, there are great local spots. I highly recommend Beasley's Chicken and Honey.

For shopping, Greensboro has Friendly Center; Raleigh has Cameron VIllage and North Hills, and Durham has Southpoint. Also, the Bull's Stadium is connected to an area called the American Tobacco District and it has some cool restaurants in there.
  • Options
    While you're in Durham, I recommend making the trip down Tobacco Road to Chapel Hill. I'm a UNC grad, so I'm biased, but I think UNC and Chapel Hill is just about the prettiest place on earth. Walk around the historic campus, visit the arboretum and grab some good eats on Franklin St. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I disagree about skipping the Mudcats!  It's a really cool stadium and there are a couple of winerys out that way that you can tour....
    Or if wine isn't your think, there's a brewery that's not too far from there...
    Also, downtown Raleigh is just generally a great place to walk around.  Moore Square often has a lot going on - there's some cool Irish bars right around there, pretty much any ethnicity of food you can imagine...A couple of "downtown" favorites are: 
    Or Cameron Village which is right by NC State - that's a nice place to shop/window shop and grab food and a few beers.. http://www.shopcameronvillage.com/

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    I would bypass the Mudcats...that is a very small town. But I would recommend checking out downtown Raleigh, Midtown Raleigh, Tobacco District Durham and Franklin St in Chapel Hill (and a cute town called Carrboro right beside). All pretty interesting. For outdoors we have lots of awesome parks around the triangle. Maybe check and see if there are any good concerts in the area or shows ?
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards