Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Save the Dates for destination wedding...rsvp?

I plan on sending save the dates within the next couple of weeks, (wedding is april 24 2013 is everything goes right, at the flamingo in vegas)

Should I ask that people RSVP so soon? How exactly should i do this? Do I get a final head count when i send the actual invatation? what would you suggest? Im assuming 25 people will attend...but who knows.

Im thinking send a save the date....make a website....then send the invites with hotel information.

Im also thinking about getting a travel agent to make travel easier on my guests and to see if I can get my wedding package at a better price

Re: Save the Dates for destination wedding...rsvp?

• Options
    I say it's a bit too soon to send the STDs.  Wait at least until 9 months out.  Regardless if it is a DW or not, invitations go out 6-8 weeks before the wedding.  Your RSVP date should be about 7-10 days before your venue/caterer needs a final count, giving you enough time to call procrastinators. 

And as always, plan for 100% attendance.
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    A STD is not a formal invitation, so there is no need for them to rsvp at this point.  It's kind of like a "heads up" that you are getting married OOT (out of town) so they can prepare.

I also agree that it may be a tad too soon to send them out....maybe send them in Sept or Oct. 

Like PP mentioned, your rsvp date should be about  7-10 days before you need to turn your final head count in b/c there will always be people that forget to rsvp and you will have to call them....this will be frustrating, but it happens to every single one of us.  Always plan for 100% attendance.....but your final rsvp will give you a more definitive number.

I included our wedding website on the STD's in case guests wanted to see what the plans were prior to the invitations being sent out.  Most people don't hire a travel agent for the guest accommodations.  Simply call 2-3 hotels of your liking and ask if they can block off rooms for your guests at a discounted rate.  You will want to include that with your invitation.

I also did a DW, so if you have any questions about how to set-up the invitation and everything that should be included, you can find me on the North Carolina--Outer Banks board that I Mod over.

• Options
    thanks!!
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_save-the-dates-for-destination-weddingrsvp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:71b0bf15-b978-422b-83ff-02391835c82ePost:093c8164-15ba-4c66-b66c-2e88632b78f1">Re: Save the Dates for destination wedding...rsvp?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A STD is not a formal invitation, so there is no need for them to rsvp at this point.  It's kind of like a "heads up" that you are getting married OOT (out of town) so they can prepare. I also agree that it may be a tad too soon to send them out....maybe send them in Sept or Oct.  Like PP mentioned, your rsvp date should be about  7-10 days before you need to turn your final head count in b/c there will always be people that forget to rsvp and you will have to call them....this will be frustrating, but it happens to every single one of us.  Always plan for 100% attendance.....but your final rsvp will give you a more definitive number. I included our wedding website on the STD's in case guests wanted to see what the plans were prior to the invitations being sent out.  Most people don't hire a travel agent for the guest accommodations.  Simply call 2-3 hotels of your liking and ask if they can block off rooms for your guests at a discounted rate.  You will want to include that with your invitation. I also did a DW, so if you have any questions about how to set-up the invitation and everything that should be included, you can find me on the North Carolina--Outer Banks board that I Mod over.
    Posted by OBX2011[/QUOTE]
  • Options

The FI and I just changed out wedding date to April 24 also!!!
    Sorry just had to throw that in :)

We also happen to be having a DW as well... But ours is in Mexico.

We're letting everyone know now just so everyone can plan accordingly. 

I like your, "Save-The-Date," idea and I think a wedsite with updated information would be fine. 

LittleLuckyPenny has a good idea about the 7-10 days before they need a final head count and I would definitely listen to her. 

Photobucket
  • Options

It's a great idea to put your website ON the Save the Date. That way if people want information and want to make hotel accomodations before the invites go out, they can get that information from your website.  STD's should typically be sent around 9 months in advance. Invitations still go out around 8 weeks prior.  As long as you have your hotel/travel information on your website and can give that info to guests, you are fine.

• Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    When you say "if everything goes right" does that mean you don't have things booked yet? If not, i would wait until you know the date for sure to send out save the dates. I agree that a save the date is meant to do exactly that and that you should be asking for responses based on it. Then send invitations at the normal time.

And I definitely agree with putting together a nice wedding website with travel and accommodations information on and including the address on your STDs.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    Come on over to the Vegas local board.  I'm also getting married in Las Vegas.  :)
  • Options
    I just sent out my std today for our 3/30/13 wedding in Vegas :) The reason I sent them out so soon is because my friends and family will fly in from Germany, in addition, I wanted people to know the date so they can prepare (vacation days & financially). I am planning on sending my invites out 6 months in advance (September) again so that people can decide when to book their flights. I feel like it's more of a courtesy to send them out early.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards