Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Candy Buffet / Dessert Buffet or Both?

Hey yall im here trying to figure out what would be best.  Im having 200 or so guests and a big cake.  Having the wedding at a country club in Davie and I want it to be spectacular, my planner gave me an option - Whether I should do a candy buffet, dessert buffet, or both with the cake.  I would like to know if this is all too much or should I just choose the cake with the candy buffet and forget about the dessert buffet. Please help 

Re: Candy Buffet / Dessert Buffet or Both?

• Options
    s-aries8990s-aries8990 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited October 2012
    The candy buffet can double as your favor.

Or you can do a breakfast pastry buffet if you have and evening event and aren't doing a brunch
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Thanks Sydaries, I think im leaning toward a cake and then the candy buffet separate, I have seen some marvelous pictures of some candy stations that matches my theme and I think it would be a head turner at the country club. My planner is actually taking me to Sugarman Candy tomorrow to view their selection. I think this is the way I want to go but its so expensive, however, "you only get married once" Right? lol. I will let you know about the visit and my final decision
  • Options
    I would much rather have a buffet of decadent desserts than candy.  I like when there are mini-desserts to go with cake.  You could always put some candy on the dessert buffet as well.
  • Options
    It depends, sounds like your budget isn't limiting your options here! Have all of it if you want! I don't think that would be overkill for 200 guests. 

If I were to choose between the two for taste preference alone, I'd choose the dessert buffet. If we were talking cost efficiency, I'd choose the candy buffet because like a PP suggested it could serve as a lovely display and favors for your guests. 
  • Options
    I'm in the dessert buffet camp. I love assorted desserts! They make a beautiful display and are much more decadent than candy -which tends to look a bit juvenile. I just can't imagine my great aunts and my fiance's grandparents enjoying a buffet of rock candy, taffy and jelly beans, etc. but that's just me. Although, I have seen some pretty amazing candy displays, but you're right, it may get expensive!

For 200 guests you may want to try to do both! Candy buffet to double as favors. Dessert buffet to round out the dessert options along with the cake. Strangely enough, a lot of people don't like cake and are happy when other options are available. 

I'm doing a dessert buffet with my cake. To include assorted pastries, petit fours, mini tarts, mousse parfaits, canoli, chocolate truffles and assorted Italian cookies. The only candy I will have are Jordan Almonds -because we're Italian and it's tradition in our family. 

I will also be providing small pastry boxes for my guests to take home some cake and/or pastries and cookies as their favor. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm not a huge dessert person in general, and would prefer candy buffet. Certainly if you can do both, you'll be most likely to please the most people though!

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • Options
    Just got back home and this may sound extremely selfish for my guests, but im having a candy buffet with cake..... The place I went to has everything I need!! They have Gummy Bears that taste like heaven!! lol  They have taffys in all colors which I know that adults love.  Also rock candy's and just everything I would need and the displays in store are just amazing.  I need this for the look, for pictures and memory, not for the taste so much, lol... Even though the taste is fab.  See the pics I took with the gummies
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_candy-buffet-dessert-buffet-or-both?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:8353d07c-78d8-46e0-96fd-381a1d5ecd9dPost:0cbe0d0d-4a6b-4f9f-a2c3-d3d84fbc25a3">Re: Candy Buffet / Dessert Buffet or Both?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just got back home and <strong>this may sound extremely selfish for my guests</strong>, but im having a candy buffet with cake..... The place I went to has everything I need!! They have Gummy Bears that taste like heaven!! lol  They have taffys in all colors which I know that adults love.  Also rock candy's and just everything I would need and the displays in store are just amazing.  I need this for the look, for pictures and memory, not for the taste so much, lol... Even though the taste is fab.  See the pics I took with the gummies
    Posted by marciejacobs[/QUOTE]

I am going to tell you what my FI has been saying since the day we got engaged- ITS YOUR WEDDING DO WHAT YOU WANT
    In all honesty, you want a candy bar with your cake than have one, You are not going to please everyone so please yourself. Its not like your saying forget my guests. I am serving fish when every single one of them is allerrgic to fish. Enjoy
  • Options
    Thanks Mysi, youre right, im doing it... Did you check out any Candy places local? Other than Sugarman?
  • Options
    Candy buffets are so fun and guests LOVE them, unique and delicious! Check out this site for some great ideas for planning a candy buffet for a wedding. It has step by step directions and tips, I found it helpful for determining set up and how much candy we needed! http://www.celebrationideasonline.com/candy-buffet.html#sthash.bu8iIfT3.dpbs
  • Options
    I like both! haha~~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards