Jewish Weddings
Options

Hava Nagila

Sorry if this question has been asked before but my fiance and I had a discussion tonite about when we should dance to Hava Nagila. My thoughts are that this is one of the first songs we dance to after the bride/groom, daddy/daughter, son/mother dances are finished. My fiance thinks we should play Hava Nagila later on in the night about mid way through the party.
Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks so much,
Lees
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hava Nagila

• Options
    We were introduced into our reception, did our first dance, and then invited everyone onto the dance floor to dance with us (we skipped the bridal party dancing with us).  Then, we went right into the Hora set.

I've heard of some people doing it later in the affair, but, I've only ever seen it done early, unless there was a reason to do it later (eg, I went to an orthodox wedding that had separate dancing, then mixed dancing, and then separate again.  They did a hora set in both separate and mixed dancing).
    Lisa
    Not a newbie, but, had to create a new account - formerly LBR_NJ

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • Options
    I almost always see:
    entrance
    bride and groom first dance
    hora
    toasts (and blessing if there is one) then first course

father/daughter and mother/son dances later in the evening
  • Options
    We did the same as Lisa--introduced, first dance, hora.  Then we had the meal, and there was open dancing while tables were released to the buffet.  We did the father/daughter and mother/son dances a little later in the reception.  We ended up getting a little behind schedule with the father/daughter and mother/son dances, so I was glad that we did the hora early, as well as before people had eaten tons of food. 
  • Options
    We did the Hora later on, similar to what you said. We did the cake cutting then the Hora. Afterwards we did parent dances.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies ladies;)
  • Options
    Sunshiny:  where are you getting married?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_hava-nagila?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:9733a95c-3b6c-4016-9b8e-0a24785632c6Post:3a05f807-b9fa-4df3-867a-73a18eeac14f">Re: Hava Nagila</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sunshiny:  where are you getting married?
    Posted by Musicheals71[/QUOTE]

Hi Musicheals,
    We're getting married in Maui!!! Only one week to go...;))
  • Options
    We also did bride/groom and then straight to the Hora.  I've seen both, but by starting early with the Hora, you're getting guests on their feet dancing and getting them excited to continue dancing through the party.  Plus if you're going up in the chair and are nervous (I know I was!) then you haven't eatten yet so it's one less thing to worry about!
  • Options
    Because of the way our venue is set up, we have to wait until after dinner for dancing to start. It's a bit hard to describe, but the buffet tables will be pretty much in the way of the dance floor. So we'll have everyone get food, FI and I will hopefully get to eat early so that we can do table visits while everyone else is eating. Then after the caterer moves the buffet tables and most people are done with dinner, we'll do first dance, father/daughter dance, mother/son dance, then the hora to get the guests up and dancing. At least, that's the current plan...it might be rethought over the next few months.
  • Options
    we were introduced, did a LOOOOONG hora set including people performing for us, then did open dancing.  then ate/had speeches etc.  we weren't all that keen on the "first dance" father/daughter stuff, so left that part until the middle of the evening when open dancing started after the meal.  it was perfect!

v.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards