Snarky Brides

Halloween?

Anyone doing anything? Costumes?  Candy? Parties?  Hiding in a dark house hoping the kids stop knocking?

I've got a late day at school but will rush home for our annual Halloween extravaganza.  My nieces (and maybe nephews this year) always come to our neighborhood because they all live in poor neighborhoods for trick or treating (apartments, no kids, or in the country).  I'm trying to figure out what to crock pot this year.  I think I did loaded baked potato soup and bread last year.  Maybe chili this year.  They all come over for last minute makeup touch-ups, have a big bowl of something hot to keep their bellies warm, and then set out around the neighborhood until they have to come back for a cocoa pit stop.

We get a ridiculous amount of kids (100+) stopping by.  I did all sorts of chocolate and such last year but given the choice, the kids all picked the fruit snacks so I'm just going to go with those.

Re: Halloween?

• No one comes to our house so we aren't doing anything. I wouldn't anyway since I don't care for Halloween, or kids.

I have class but I know my students will be chomping at the bit to get out, so it probably won't go very late. They've already asked three weeks in advance how long class would go.
  • anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited October 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_halloween-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5fec2daa-3c23-49f2-8e97-38084f3e0787Post:f19129a4-d631-4adf-9baa-773dac27e848">Re: Halloween?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No one comes to our house so we aren't doing anything. I wouldn't anyway since I don't care for Halloween, or kids. I have class but I know my students will be chomping at the bit to get out, so it probably won't go very late. They've already asked three weeks in advance how long class would go.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

<div>My prof announced that we have a huge exam that day and that yes, she IS going to lecture after.  So we'll be lucky to be home by 6pm.  Luckily, sundown isn't until 6:15 fo I've got a bit of a window  ;)</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_halloween-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5fec2daa-3c23-49f2-8e97-38084f3e0787Post:af3bf460-6349-43b1-9aa2-1b08be248b43">Re: Halloween?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anna, that's awesome!  You are such a fun auntie! I love Halloween decor but I don't think I've ever been to a costume party as an adult.  When it come to TOT, I'm a total grinch.  We hide upstairs in our bedroom and watch movies.  Two years ago, some stupid woman let her kid ring the doorbell like at 9pm and our entire effing house was pitch black.  Not a single light on.  I laid into her.  Lol.  So last year, my H just put up a sign that we had no candy.
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]
    </div><div>
    </div><div>That's what my H did before I ruined his life and made him all un-grinched.</div>
  • That sounds like fun, Anna.  We don't do anything either.  Maybe treats at work, but no parties.  As far as ToT, completely depends on the weather.  If it's nice out, we may get 40 or so kids at the door.  If it's awful out, we'll get the kids across the street and that's it.  I'll have some candy on hand, and put Nala in her pumpkin t-shirt to answer the door with me.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • My class goes until 8:45 so I do kind of feel bad if they wanted to hand out candy. On the other hand, whatever. They get out when I let them out.
  • We get no kids, where we live there are no sidewalks. And we dont go anywhere or dress up, I fail at costumes. Plus we have no friends that participate in such things.

BUT I have to work the Fall Festival at work on Sunday, we get close to 1,000 kids in that 2 hours. It's really fun to see the kids. My H is going to be my photographer.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Halloween is my favorite. I love decorating. It was kind of funny, on Saturday we had our first jehovah's witness visit at our house, and I went all out on decorating this year. So there he was, giving H his speech about the pervasiveness of corruption and darksidedness in our world, with a 5 foot ghost standing on his one side and the bloody-handprint covered door on the other. Major props to this guy's resolve.

We don't get any trick-or-treaters at home, nor enough friends around here to throw a full-fledged party. But I do work until 8 and we share a building with the public library, so they bring up their reading groups and we give them candy. We also get to dress up for work; I'm going to be a unicorn :)
  • Last year I was substitute teaching and therefore didn't have a 'home' school, but I did make kitty litter cake for FIs class and DDs class. This year, I'm not really sure if I will, because technically I work with 4 classes of grade 8s myself, plus doing one for FI and one for DD - that's 6 cakes (see, my math isn't THAT bad...) But I'll probably cave and do it anyway.

We have a whole afternoon of activities here at school, and we just moved into a neighbourhood that's full of kids, so I expect a full on stampede. I've got a bunch of treats, but will likely get more this weekend. I need to get my decorating done too, we've had a mess of bad weather lately, but it looks like a beautiful weekend ahead...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8136876347.27609.668306347&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=8136886347&set=a.8136876347.27609.668306347&type=3&theater

Kitty litter cake - ickiest dessert ever!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have a costume party to go to next friday, and have no idea what I'm going to do this year. Two years ago I was a bathroom wall, and I can never top that.

I was going to be a replacement ref, but my fiance told me that's too old now.

He's going as Psy (he's filipino - so really he's just wearing a suit and dancing gangnam style all night) so I wanted to go as a Psychic as a play on Sidekick to Psy... but he told me that's lame and nobody will get it...

I like the idea of a unicorn. I might do that and dress up as a unicorn in a football uniform - fantasy football player?  I don't know. I need a good idea! I might hit up clearance on Thursday for the friday party...

image 312 Invited
    image 182 Are ready to party!
    image 127 Will be missing out!
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ...and I'm undecided about my costume. Thinking bride of Frankenstein, but still not sure.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Halloween used to be HUGE for me. As a little kid my mom always dressed us in custom made costumes for school parades and trick or treating of course. H isn’t very fond of Halloween, he can really careless so I really don’t go all out anymore, on top of it being expensive for two adults and two kids plus hosting the party. We’ve had one at our house and it was really fun but nothing in the last 3 years. Today we’re going to a dinner / Halloween party at a local bar and I think that’ll be my Halloween highlight. For work, I’m dressing up, I think I’m gonna be a pirate, or the mad hatter since my daughter is Alice. I wanted to make my son the mad hatter but he wants to be Iron Man.  I don’t pass out candy because I get scary people at my door. Lol. I can’t take horror anymore, I’ll have nightmares for a year.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_halloween-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5fec2daa-3c23-49f2-8e97-38084f3e0787Post:292c6148-0e67-47d8-82ef-34b94b4bf6a3">Re: Halloween?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a costume party to go to next friday, and have no idea what I'm going to do this year. Two years ago I was a bathroom wall, and I can never top that. I was going to be a replacement ref, but my fiance told me that's too old now. He's going as Psy (he's filipino - so really he's just wearing a suit and dancing gangnam style all night) so I wanted to go as a Psychic as a play on Sidekick to Psy... but he told me that's lame and nobody will get it... I like the idea of a unicorn. I<strong> might do that and dress up as a unicorn in a football uniform - fantasy football player? </strong> I don't know. I need a good idea! I might hit up clearance on Thursday for the friday party...
    Posted by maggieandrey[/QUOTE]
     I think this is awesome. In addition to unicorns, I'm also a sucker for silly puns.
  • maggieandreymaggieandrey member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2012
    bunni - what are you doing for your unicorn costume? Are you making your own horn or storebought?
    image 312 Invited
    image 182 Are ready to party!
    image 127 Will be missing out!
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited October 2012
    Hi ladies!  I tend to lurk over here, but I've been in the mood to join in lately.

Halloween is my favorite holiday.  FI and I love decorating and dressing up.  This year, our wedding (next Friday) is putting a bit of a damper on our usual Halloween festivities.  Not to mention packing (we close on our house 11/15).  I'm definitely beyond excited for our wedding, but it's kind of depressing to look around and see no trace of Halloween anywhere in our condo.  

I've always been somewhat lazy with costumes and I usually just buy them.  FI, however, makes his.  He puts so much time into them and they turn out AMAZING.  I'll look for some pictures to post on here.

ETA - Photos:

21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • I couldn't decide what I wanted to be until found a horn and a rainbow tail at Hot Topic. I have a shiitton of hair, so I'm going to make a mane out of it, and I have an old pair of heels I want to paint to match my tail. Probably just going to wear a white top with jeans so all the accesories stand out. Oh, and rainbow suspenders too!

lls, your FIs costumes are amazing!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_halloween-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5fec2daa-3c23-49f2-8e97-38084f3e0787Post:f6b807df-e2b0-487e-8de8-429877a700cf">Re: Halloween?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi ladies!  I tend to lurk over here, but I've been in the mood to join in lately. Halloween is my favorite holiday.  FI and I love decorating and dressing up.  This year, our wedding (next Friday) is putting a bit of a damper on our usual Halloween festivities.  Not to mention packing (we close on our house 11/15).  I'm definitely beyond excited for our wedding, but it's kind of depressing to look around and see no trace of Halloween anywhere in our condo.   I've always been somewhat lazy with costumes and I usually just buy them.  FI, however, makes his.  <strong>He puts so much time into them and they turn out AMAZING.  I'll look for some pictures to post on here. ETA - Photos:
    </strong>Posted by lls31[/QUOTE]

That's awesome! I'm with you I'm not creative at all.
  • I stupidly scheduled a meeting with a district superintendent at a school an hour away at 3pm. Dumb. I'll be home in time, but barely. Although FI works until 6pm, which is when trick or treating starts, so we'll be scrambling to get candy ready. We just stay home and pass out candy. We live on a "fancy street", so we get slammed with kids. I don't have a costume at this point, but we got our dog a knight in shining armor costume complete with dragon to slay. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_halloween-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5fec2daa-3c23-49f2-8e97-38084f3e0787Post:292c6148-0e67-47d8-82ef-34b94b4bf6a3">Re: Halloween?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a costume party to go to next friday, and have no idea what I'm going to do this year. Two years ago I was a bathroom wall, and I can never top that. I was going to be a replacement ref, but my fiance told me that's too old now. He's going as Psy (he's filipino - so really he's just wearing a suit and dancing gangnam style all night) so I wanted to go as a Psychic as a play on Sidekick to Psy... but he told me that's lame and nobody will get it... I like the idea of a unicorn. I might do that and dress up as a unicorn in a football uniform - fantasy football player?  I don't know. I need a good idea! I might hit up clearance on Thursday for the friday party...
    Posted by maggieandrey[/QUOTE]

Be a pinata!  Wrap yourself in colorful crepe paper, put on some crepe paper horns or something and carry around a bit of candy...just randomly toss it out!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards