Wedding Etiquette Forum

Give me your thoughts re: oil spill

2»

Re: Give me your thoughts re: oil spill

• Ohhhhh, the picture is taller than it looks on my screen I bet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_give-thoughts-re-oil-spill?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a98335b5-7d6c-4458-8913-c89661f1ec59Post:274b71e2-fe6b-4394-b673-abcb70a73e56">Re: Give me your thoughts re: oil spill</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Give me your thoughts re: oil spill : Hmm...maybe because the background is so grey it's white and it fades into the white of the posting area? Anyone else have to scroll that far?
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]

you're right, if you scroll over and highlight the picture, the top is much higher than I originally thought.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_give-thoughts-re-oil-spill?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a98335b5-7d6c-4458-8913-c89661f1ec59Post:ae018214-a3cd-46a7-8d10-ac154c34d4d9">Re: Give me your thoughts re: oil spill</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Give me your thoughts re: oil spill : you're right, if you scroll over and highlight the picture, the top is much higher than I originally thought.
    Posted by vallyhoo[/QUOTE]

I just tried that, and yep you are right!  Mystery solved.
  • salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_give-thoughts-re-oil-spill?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a98335b5-7d6c-4458-8913-c89661f1ec59Post:36e22c6e-26e3-4e80-84c9-c2217d94b967">Re: Give me your thoughts re: oil spill</a>:
    [QUOTE]I doubt very seriously if she can even get close enough to the beach to get any of the oil. 
    Posted by MISSCOURTNEY20[/QUOTE]

<div>Seriously?</div><div>
    </div>
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I vote weird.

But my mom has ash from the Mt. St. Helen's eruption. Which is not the same, but this post made me think of that.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • there was an article on Yahoo today about 2 brothers in florida selling bottles of the "souvenir" oil tainted sand.
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment

lvb, you could probably stand to just crop some of the top off -- I don't think computer screens can pick up the detail that's probably there and it just loks white.

Lizzie
  • Is it annoying enough that I should change it? Not like I don't have a half million I'd love to AW ;)
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • It's annoying to me, but I just try to deal.  :)
  • if you just crop it the top off, I'd keep it :)
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_give-thoughts-re-oil-spill?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a98335b5-7d6c-4458-8913-c89661f1ec59Post:cf967934-d4d7-4796-953e-572a117fe0dc">Re: Give me your thoughts re: oil spill</a>:
    [QUOTE]there was an article on Yahoo today about 2 brothers in florida selling bottles of the "souvenir" oil tainted sand.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

I actually don't mind so much if you collect it -- selling it, however,  is disgusting!
    Lizzie
  • I'll change it. :)
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_give-thoughts-re-oil-spill?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a98335b5-7d6c-4458-8913-c89661f1ec59Post:6babb804-ceed-41f8-b92d-024198090d38">Re: Give me your thoughts re: oil spill</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is it annoying enough that I should change it? Not like I don't have a half million I'd love to AW ;)
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]

I don't hate you over it or anything, but yes, it's a <em>bit</em> annoying.
    Lizzie
  • LabrnrLabrnr member
    First Comment
     I don't think the oil leak was started on purpose, but I think the length of time it has taken to fix it is on purpose.

If you think about it.  The less oil we have, the higher the demand, the higher the price.

Be prepared for inflated oil prices again.
    Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • salt78salt78 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_give-thoughts-re-oil-spill?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a98335b5-7d6c-4458-8913-c89661f1ec59Post:73557aaa-e801-4ecc-9379-d481199d9b4c">Re: Give me your thoughts re: oil spill</a>:
    [QUOTE] I don't think the oil leak was started on purpose, but I think the length of time it has taken to fix it is on purpose.Posted by Labrnr[/QUOTE]

<div>Well luckily no one here cares what you think.</div>
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Most of the beaches aren't blocked off MissCourtney. My dad was just at Orange Beach, and a friend of mine just got back from Panama City Beach. There's nothing blocked off, just signs that the water is hazardous to your health. My dad actually got in it, and he just said it feels really icky, though you can't actually see the oil. And that the air smells like a gas station.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • I don't have any souvenirs like what your mom is trying to get, but I do have newspapers and magazines from 9/11 and I also have a Memphis paper from the day Elvis died.  That's a little morbid too.

I bet people have pieces of the WTC that they "collected" too
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• When I was in Anchorage this spring almost all the gift shops were selling vials of crude-tainted water for $1 - the proceeds of which go to the ongoing relief for the Exxon-Valdez spill.   Personally, I'd rather just donate the dollar and not own a bottle of oil, but some people do like to have that 'artifact' to keep them remembering.
    murrayed
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_give-thoughts-re-oil-spill?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a98335b5-7d6c-4458-8913-c89661f1ec59Post:0c17a3dc-cc49-4d55-9be8-9ce2376f5da6">Re: Give me your thoughts re: oil spill</a>:
    [QUOTE]I get the "piece of history" thing.... but not sure if I get the bottles. That seems a little strange to me. Speaking of the oil spill.... we were talking about it at work this morning. We were talking about what impact a hurricane would have. One of my coworkers told me that there is already oil/chemicals that is literally raining down on people living in that area. I haven't actually heard this from a news source. But does anyone know anything about that?
    Posted by akhensley81[/QUOTE]

I heard a story about this on Air America last week.  Apparently what happens is some of the toxins in the oil evaporate off of it really quickly, in just hours, and that evaporation becomes clouds, which eventually become rain.  Animals have died from exposure to this rain. 

What really worries me is the impact on the marine life that are completely blameless.  It's sad that people are so impacted by this, but it's because of our own greed for oil that offshore drilling is even still happening.  We've always been able to recover and take care of ourselves, but what about all the fish that are being suffocated by this oil and will continuously be impacted by these toxins that were released that can never be collected?  This is yet another thing that BP should be held entirely accoutable for.  They're the ones who cheaped out on the seal that broke that caused the leak.  They have more money than god and have no excuse whatsoever to cut any corners when the safety of people and animals are concerned.

*off soapbox*

I don't think it's weird for her to want a bottle of the oil for herself, but I do think it's strange to assume that anyone else wants it, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards