Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Doing my own makeup vs getting it done by a make up artist

Should I save money by doing my own makeup for my wedding or spend upwards of $300+ for my make up alone???? I am trying to cut some spending where I can.

I normally only wear eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow & lip gloss, and sometimes I put on some mineral powder foundation to cover up redness. I'm not the type of girl who needs to wear a ton of make up when I go out either... I don't know what to do!!! I need some advice.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Doing my own makeup vs getting it done by a make up artist

• Oh wow- $300?!?!  Personally, I wouldn't want to spend that much, and you said you are trying to save money.  If you are satisfied with your makeup when you do it, I say go for it!  Otherwise, do you have a BM or close friend/family member who does make up pretty well?  You could ask them.

I am paying $65 for my makeup... there's just no way I could justify $300.  You could buy an entire supply of makeup for that amount of money. 
  • I spent around $300 for hair and makeup.  I have no regrets.  As calm as I was on my wedding day, I think I would have had a meltdown if I couldn't get my hair and makeup perfect.  Hiring someone to do it for me helped with the stress.  My hair and MUA was awesome. 
    Visit The Nest! image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    I'm spending about $200 for hair and makeup. I really didn't want to spend that much but I want to be relaxed on my wedding day so I'm considering this my biggest splurge.
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • Mine is $165 including hair & makeup.  I was just thinking if it's $300 for JUST makeup, that's slightly ridiculous!

• The 300 is including the trial run. I am just on the fence. I want to look perfect and I'm nervous!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If $300 includes the trial, then it's not that outrageous.  I won't bother to tell you what I spent, but to me, it was worth it.  How I looked on my wedding day was very important and professional hair and makeup is something I put in my budget from the beginning.  I wanted to relax and not have to worry about it.

Only you can really say if it's worth it to you or not.
  • I would look into a different MUA if $300 is what she is charging even if that includes the trial.  That price seems ridiculously high.  I paid $65 for my MUA and she did some airbrush make up also.

I do suggest having a professional do your hair and make-up the day of your wedding.  It is less stressful for you, but I would certainly shop around a bit more if I were you.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_doing-my-own-makeup-vs-getting-it-done-by-a-make-up-artist?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:0b8a5996-6f51-4afe-8fbe-557ef003f3b7Post:b14aaf79-fdf5-4659-9a76-477127b4f52b">Re: Doing my own makeup vs getting it done by a make up artist</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would look into a different MUA if $300 is what she is charging even if that includes the trial.  That price seems ridiculously high.  I paid $65 for my MUA and she did some airbrush make up also. I do suggest having a professional do your hair and make-up the day of your wedding.  It is less stressful for you, but I would certainly shop around a bit more if I were you.
    Posted by Beverly8[/QUOTE]

My MUA's current pricing is $235 for the trial and airbrush makeup on the day of.  From what I have seen, Boston pricing seems to be very comparable to Dallas if not higher.

But OP, I agree, shop around.  If your local board is active, try there for some recommendations.
  • If you are considering doing your own, you could go to Sephora for a makeup trial. All it costs is a $50 gift card, which you would use to buy makeup for the day of.
    Like PP said, only you can decide whether it is worth it, but you do have options if you decide to do it yourself.
  • Winnertag1Winnertag1 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I would spend the money, although $300 seems a bit pricey (but my wedding planner states that shes used people that charge around $700 for a bride). I ended up finding a company that charges $200 for bridal hair & $155 for BM, and then $65 for travel and parking fees (she is coming from over an hour away so it is much worth it) & then my wedding planner offered to pay for the bridal party hair & make up as a gift (wedding planner is mother of my MOH and one of my BM's)

I am not good at doing my hair regardless and I dont even know how to put my own makeup on so I think it is definitely worth it for me haha.

Do you know someone who does or knows someone who could give you a better rate? You dont have to specifically use a 'bridal' hair & make up person cause they would probably charge more than just a regular MUA/hair stylist just because they are 'bridal'.

522805_10151186959893168_80368830_n_zps80e4c057
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Around here $300 is the going rate for at home makeup. Have you looked into a local salon. I went to a salon 8 blocks away from the house andspend only $65 including false eyelashes.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think it depends how comfortable you are doing your own makeup and whether you would have to spend money to purchase any additional makeup.

I did my own makeup and was happy with the result and the photos. I practiced several times so I knew exactly what I was doing and which products I needed to use. The only thing I stressed over that morning was my hair (and I had a professional for that--things just weren't going right and I did half of it myself).
  • IF YOU ARE IN NEED OF A MUA FEEL FREE TO TAKE A LOOK AT MY WEBSITE. I AM BASED IN SOUTH JERSEY. I DO TRAVEL TO PROVIDE ON SITE MAKEUP SERVICE. HERE ARE MY RATES

$70 for just the BRIDE + TRAVEL

$55 FOR THE BRIDE WITH A PARTY OF 5 OR MORE

BRIDEMAIDS

$35 EA WITH A PARTY OF 5 OR MORE

$45 EA WITH A PARTY OF 4 OR UNDER

HERE IS A LNK TO MY WEBSITE
    http://makeupstilettosandglam.weebly.com/brides.html

FOR FURTHER QUESTION CONTACT ME AT glamdollmakeup@aol.com

• Wow... that's double the price I charge brides, including trial and lashes...
    I truly think you should shop around before committing to a MUA. You have plenty of time.
  • Thank you for all your opinions! I spoke with my MUA and clarified all of the charges. It's going to be under $250 (including travel fees).

:) Happy Planning to you all!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards