Arizona-Phoenix
Options

A Few Random Questions

I have a few random questions for you, some of them are not so local but still would like some opinions. I am in the North Valley, almost to Anthem.

Is it ok to have bridesmaids pay for their dresses if they get to pick them out? What are some good stores for bridesmaid dresses? All I really know is Davids Bridal.

Where is a good tux rental and how much are we looking at? What about suits? I dont even know where to start with them.

Silly question, but I dont really understand the whole candy bar thing. On the Knot is the first time I've seen it. 

Cash Dance. Is it appropriate? Is it too "country"? I come from a very small town and both weddings I've been to have had the cash dance. Is it normal? Do people know to bring cash? 

My Fi wants his grandpa to marry us. He is a minister I believe (is there much of a difference?) and lives in NM. How do we find out if he needs to be certified here or how to go about that.

Thank you for your time Ladies. Looking forward to your responses.

Re: A Few Random Questions

• Options
    edited December 2011
    So, I'll try to help as much as I can. :) First, Google is going to be your best friend. Some of your questions will be found there (like officiant requirements in AZ, samples of candy bars, etc.) Now, to answer some of your etiquette-type questions... Let me start by saying that I am pretty laid back, so my answers may not exactly jive with what other folks here or on the etiquette board have to say, so take it with a grain of salt... Bridesmaids dresses... 100% reasonable to ask them to pay for this on their own... Kind of part of the role of being a bridesmaid. That being said, you need to be mindful of what their budget will allow for this and not expect them to buy a $500 dress. With my girls, I picked a brand name (After Six, fairly affordable), a color (apple green), and length (cocktail or tea). Past that the girls can choose from about 20 dresses for what they prefer. My girls tried on the dresses at Lillian Louttie (sp?), and most of them are ordering what they liked online where they found it cheaper. We haven't tackled tux rentals yet, but have heard that Mr. Formal comes recommended. Interested in other Knottie's suggestions on that one. What specifically were you wondering about having a candy bar? We're planning to have one, and I have been collecting apocothery jars every week with my Michaels coupons. I also found a bulk candy store in the east valley which will be helpful when it comes time to buy all that. As far as the "cash dance", we've decided to not do that. My FI and I are in our early 30's and this tradition seems more appropriate to younger folks who are just starting out in life. That is of course only my opinion. I've seen this done at weddings and didn't think much of it, but we don't think it's right for us. Hope that helps! Look forward to what others have to add! :) Good luck and happy planning!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What specifically were you wondering about having a candy bar? We're planning to have one, and I have been collecting apocothery jars every week with my Michaels coupons. I also found a bulk candy store in the east valley which will be helpful when it comes time to buy all that.  

^^ 
    Where did you find this bulk candy store? I am looking for one!! :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've just never heard of one until I joined the knot. I get that you have a pretty display and give your guests candy favors. I guess just the idea is just new to me and was wondering why people have them. I'm not putting down the idea by any means I hope I don't come across that way. Just curious about the idea I guess. 

Thank you for your answeres to my questions. Can't wait to hear from more Knotties.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-phoenix_random-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:71Discussion:34747d72-4005-43e5-81d9-35a533aa6952Post:fa9ab86a-55a5-498d-a6f2-d2d04cb3eac0">A Few Random Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is it ok to have bridesmaids pay for their dresses if they get to pick them out? What are some good stores for bridesmaid dresses? All I really know is Davids Bridal. Where is a good tux rental and how much are we looking at? What about suits? I dont even know where to start with them. Silly question, but I dont really understand the whole candy bar thing. On the Knot is the first time I've seen it.   Cash Dance. Is it appropriate? Is it too "country"? I come from a very small town and both weddings I've been to have had the cash dance. Is it normal? Do people know to bring cash?  My Fi wants his grandpa to marry us. He is a minister I believe (is there much of a difference?) and lives in NM. How do we find out if he needs to be certified here or how to go about that .   Thank you for your time Ladies. Looking forward to your responses.
    Posted by Nomew[/QUOTE]

Most bridesmaids are going to expect to pay for their dresses if they're asked to be in your wedding - as long as you're not picking out an outrageously expensive dress, they should be fine with it. I found mine at Azteca Bridal in Phoenix. I took my girls with me so they could find what they liked and made sure I was okay with it too. We made a day of it, lunch, etc. It was fun.

I don't know how much tuxes are, we haven't gotten there yet. But we're probably going with Men's Warehouse because they're all over the place and my guy's groomsmen are spread across the country. We need them to be able to go to the same store that we have here for fittings.

Candy bars are exactly what you see. Gather up some jars, some bulk candy in your colors (or not) and set it up so it looks fun. Find some cute little bags or boxes and send it all home with guests.

We aren't doing the "dollar dance" - it's more for young people or ones trying to get money for their honeymoon. It also takes away from the reception atmosphere in my opinion. Too much structure and trying to get everyone to pay attention when they could just be having a good time.

Google the minister/officiant requirements and see if they're certified in NM and if that would work here. If you can't find it, look up ministry websites here and email one of them to see if they'll help answer your questions.

GL!
    BFP #1: 5/20/12 ~ EDD: 2/20/13 ~ Betas at 221: 5/24/12 ~ Betas at 917: 5/29/12 ~ M/C: 5/29/12 BFP #2: 10/17/12 (13dpo) ~ EDD: 6/29/13 Beta #1 @ 2164: 10/22/12 ~ 1st u/s: 10/26/12 = empty ute Beta #2 @ 7610: 10/26/12 ~ 2nd u/s: 10/30/12 = measuring at 5w6d 3rd u/s: 11/5/12 = HB of 150 ~ 4th u/s: 11/27/12 = perfect wiggly LO! Lilypie Maternity tickers "Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end." Image and video hosting by TinyPic Sunshine_zps3fcf529f Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers My Randomness Blog ~ The TTCAL Blog ~ My Wedding Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-phoenix_random-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:71Discussion:34747d72-4005-43e5-81d9-35a533aa6952Post:f196e0bf-ffbe-4387-969a-f150a4c03998">Re: A Few Random Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]What specifically were you wondering about having a candy bar? We're planning to have one, and I have been collecting apocothery jars every week with my Michaels coupons. I also found a bulk candy store in the east valley which will be helpful when it comes time to buy all that.   ^^  Where did you find this bulk candy store? I am looking for one!! :)
    Posted by jmleejohnson[/QUOTE]

If you're on Facebook, search "Sweeties Candy of Arizona.." I don't remember how I found it, but it looks HUGE (for a candy store anyways). I haven't actually been there yet, since I live all the way on the West side and my wedding isn't until April. I think their website says they are located in Chandler. Hope that helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-phoenix_random-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:71Discussion:34747d72-4005-43e5-81d9-35a533aa6952Post:bfdd8485-9ada-4e62-9f85-90e8abb8f689">Re: A Few Random Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've just never heard of one until I joined the knot. I get that you have a pretty display and give your guests candy favors. I guess just the idea is just new to me and was wondering why people have them. I'm not putting down the idea by any means I hope I don't come across that way. Just curious about the idea I guess.  Thank you for your answeres to my questions. Can't wait to hear from more Knotties.
    Posted by Nomew[/QUOTE]

Nomew, I didn't think you were "putting down" the candy bar idea at all, I just didn't understand what you were wondering about them. I personally think it sounds like a fun idea, but my FI thinks it's pointless since we'll obviously have wedding cake too. I'm already somewhat committed though since I've already started purchasing the jars... We'll see, I guess. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-phoenix_random-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:71Discussion:34747d72-4005-43e5-81d9-35a533aa6952Post:72f6174e-85d7-4106-9d80-b5fc6b8e118f">Re: A Few Random Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Few Random Questions : If you're on Facebook, search "Sweeties Candy of Arizona.." I don't remember how I found it, but it looks HUGE (for a candy store anyways). I haven't actually been there yet, since I live all the way on the West side and my wedding isn't until April. I think their website says they are located in Chandler. Hope that helps!
    Posted by FutureMrsWright2012[/QUOTE]

That's where we got all of our candy, and there was a HUGE selection.

As far as the candy buffets in general - just keep in mind that they can end up rather expensive.  I think we actually ended up spending almost $400 on ours all together.   It seems like it would be a simple, easy thing to put together, but there's a lot that goes into it that you don't realize at first.   I honestly didn't realize how expensive the candy would be!  We even used cheap gumballs in our colors to fill space and try to spend less.
    Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

TTC since 2-09 Diagnosed with PCOS 12-11

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh ok, I think I get the candy bar thing now, thank you. I bet it would get expensive.

Hmm. I doubt we will do the dollar dance, I dont even think my FI knows what one is... Well.... Lol.

What are you doing for your bachelorette parties??  I'd like to go to Vegas, but I'd also like the guys to join us. A little worried that would get expensive fast. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Syndelin, thanks for the review and extra info... Nomew, I was hoping to do my B-party in Vegas and was already to plan it myself... I posted a question about it on "another" board and was tore apart and told that I was rude and tacky to do such a thing... Let that serve as a warning not to ask about that anywhere else than this board, lol. I think it's a good idea to just keep watching airfares online (Southwest constantly has deals from Phx to Vegas)... If you have enough time before your wedding still, I'm sure you could find a good deal and make it work. Sounds like a blast! Hopefully, it will end up happening for me, too! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-phoenix_random-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:71Discussion:34747d72-4005-43e5-81d9-35a533aa6952Post:2750a289-1a81-43ff-bc26-0b15be78dd00">Re: A Few Random Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Syndelin, thanks for the review and extra info... Nomew, I was hoping to do my B-party in Vegas and was already to plan it myself... I posted a question about it on "another" board and was tore apart and told that I was rude and tacky to do such a thing... Let that serve as a warning not to ask about that anywhere else than this board, lol. I think it's a good idea to just keep watching airfares online (Southwest constantly has deals from Phx to Vegas)... If you have enough time before your wedding still, I'm sure you could find a good deal and make it work. Sounds like a blast! Hopefully, it will end up happening for me, too! :)
    Posted by FutureMrsWright2012[/QUOTE]

Of course!

It amazes me that people are so ready to jump on *any* ideas anymore...  It's not like there's many rules for these things, and less and less as time goes on (thankfully).  Do whatever YOU are comfortable with, and you want to do.  It's your day!  I would especially disregard opinions against something you want, from someone that you haven't even met, doesn't know you, and won't be there anyway.   It's one thing if your family/wedding party have strong objections that you may want to take into consideration...  but don't let an internet forum and some snarky opinions make you second guess any decisions that you want to make for your wedding.
    Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

TTC since 2-09 Diagnosed with PCOS 12-11

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I'v met quite a few mean Knotties on here I can't believe it. 
    This has been the friendliest and most helpful board ive been on, so thank you Ladies!!! You have defiantly helped me and I hope I can help you with anything, even if its just a vent!!! 

Good luck with your Vegas trip Mrs.Wright ^_^ 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards