North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Small-ish wedding : venue help???

Hi everyone, I'm Laura from Northern VA!  My fiance and I originally wanted to do a destination wedding to Mexico to have it wrapped into our honeymoon, but we were a little turned off by the legal requirements there so we're very interested in an Outer Banks wedding now.

Looking around it seems like I can only find elopement packages (like the Sanderling's which I LOVE but only goes up to 15 people) or places with huge minimum catering costs.  Any ideas for a wedding of about 25-35 people?  I want to bring in my own photographer for sure.

A rental home isn't really an option since we won't be able to stay a full week and still go to Mexico, plus it would get so expensive adding up that plus chair rentals and catering, etc.

We really can't spend more than $5-6k which is making it very difficult.  I thought the destination wedding idea would have been cheaper than having a wedding here in the DC area where we live :(
Anniversary

Re: Small-ish wedding : venue help???

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What about something like the cypress house?  Your guests would help meet your minimum by renting rooms at the inn.

http://www.cypresshouseinn.com/weddings.shtml
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • Options
    LRPardyLRPardy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Some rental companies do offer shorter stays, you could look into that and then get a restaurant to cater.  We have similar sized guest list and are using High Cotton BBQ for our food.

Good luck!
  • Options
    LRPardyLRPardy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since you're NOVA, what about some place south like Charlottesville or Virginia Beach?  Don't know if there you could rent out Monticello or some place like that.  Just throwing out ideas... Maybe somewhere on the Skyline Drive?  Heck, just go to Atlantic City and treat it like a Vegas wedding LOL... :D
  • Options
    edited December 2011

You could rent a house and do the wedding there or on the beach in Obx....Your budget would definitely cover it.  We're doing that in Septmeber in Salvo and will be close to that budget and we're having about 60 people.  The prices for houses come down tremendously in September after Labor Day.  We are having our family and wedding party stay in the house with us.  And the prices are less for everything if you stay in Nags Head or Kitty Hawk.  Sun Realty is a great company with lots of good "wedding" houses.  Surf or Sound has houses for less.  Check out http://www.outerbanksweddingassoc.org/ or http://www.outerbanks.org/visitor_services/wedding_information/
    We're having our food delivered but setting it up and serving ourselves because we're doing a cookout at our pool for our reception.  I guess the budget all depends on what you're looking for exactly.  We're getting married on the beach at 2:30pm so we figure most people won't want to eat asap...so the cookout will go on until whenever and people can eat as they're hungry..
    Good luck!  (Sorry about your package deal)
    Hey...don't know anything about this but check this place out too...they do all inclusive weddings in Obx for 21-30 people.
    http://www.whitedoeinn.com/coastalisl_wedding.htm
    Nothing but love and luck to you!

So Happily Married to the Love of my Life! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    fisherseamonfisherseamon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got married at the Cypress House Inn and it is perfect for small wddings and they have a 3 day wedding package which is great for a weekend stay!
  • Options
    diannaholindiannaholin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you found a venue for your wedding/reception? I'm kind of in the same boat, renting a house for the family for a week in Salvo, we want to get married on the beach and have a small intimate reception (25/30 people) but we're having trouble finding a place tht is classy and still fits within out budget.
    Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, any suggestions on which beaches are more private and less crowded would be appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards