Catholic Weddings
Options

birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long)

Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long)

• Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_birth-controlmedical-exception-rules-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c53e3-ffbd-461d-b0b9-922c55d46f47Post:a087d2fd-1c1d-409b-b61c-47a86b5fc5e0">Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]If she knew what she was talking about, she would be able to use the basic proper vocab on the subject. I'm not trying to say that the basis behind what she is saying does not have any merit, but she herself does not, which leads me to doubt that she has actually done much research on the subject.  I think she is doing a discredit to everyone.
    Posted by blackfire5th[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I'm confused. So you think her facts are good, but you're discounting her entire argument because she made a few grammatical errors in a live speech? 

</div>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She was speaking to lay people, NON-scientists.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As long as we're talking about ovarian cancer, I'll add some stats for people reading this who may not be as familiar with ovarian cancer:

The average woman's lifetime risk for ovarian cancer is somewhere around 1.5 percent. 

Having a first degree relative (mother or sister) with ovarian cancer, with no known genetic mutations, increases a woman's lifetime risk to about 5 percent.

The big ones are BRCA1 and BRCA 2 genetic mutations, along with the HNPCC mutation, which have lifetime risks as follows: 
    "The lifetime ovarian cancer risk for BRCA1 mutation carriers is 35 to 60 percent, and the risk for BRCA2 mutation carriers is between 10 and 27 percent. HNPCC syndrome is associated with a 9 to 12 percent increased lifetime risk of ovarian cancer, and also a 40 to 60 percent lifetime risk of both uterine and colon cancer."
    http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/13108.cfm

The risk levels for BRCA carriers are quite high (and they are more likely to develop ovarian cancer pre-menopause), so one might think that they are most likely to benefit from oral contraceptives.  But the data on this is mixed -- some studies suggest reduced risk for ovarian cancer among BRCA carriers, and some studies suggest little to no effect.  (see http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/oral-contraceptives#3

Thankfully, there is a lot more research going on nowadays into how to diagnose ovarian cancer early, how to assess risk, and how to screen women who are at higher risk.  But the data on all of this is still not absolutely clear.  Ovarian cancer is an ugly, complicated disease. 
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    my husband is definitely more "in the mood" in the days prior to my ovulation.  its like his body senses/feels it.  more often than not, he will ask me if im ovulating becuase he feels pretty revved up.  no joke.  we have been amazed at this whole process.
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    blackfire - I'm a bit confused by your string of logic as it relates to the Church's teachings. You've said that you have horrible periods and a higher risk of ovarian cancer and therefore use BCP to help keep those at bay. You've said yourself that BCP can increase cervical and breast cancer. The ladies here have provided evidence that the BCP can do more harm in that it can lead to aborted pregnancies, and it may not have any impact on reducing risk of ovarian cancer. They've additionally provided you with information regarding natural-hormone therapies that can solve your painful period problems. In addition, giving birth to one or two children can have a significant impact on lowering ovarian cancer risks. You're response is that you can't/don't want children due to overpopulation. But even if overpopulation were a problem (it isn't) that line of reasoning completely goes against the Church's teachings. We are to accept children openly and willingly from God - you attest to that in your wedding ceremony. You've said you can't chart and I don't see any reason why you couldn't attempt charting and natural hormone therapy for your problems. This would be in line with the Church's teachings - especially since you've said there is no medical reason for you to be on BCP. It just seems to me that you have convinced yourself that what you are doing is acceptable and you're unwilling to recognize that there would be treatment options for you that do not go against the Church. It's easy to claim that God made this magical pill and we should embrace it since he made it so - but it's simply not true. There are many horrible things in this world that are man-made and are in fact, the work of the devil. You can rationalize and justify it in your own mind, but at the end of the day it's not God's intentions and it's not in-line with the Church and your soul may suffer. To an outsider like myself, it comes across that you'd rather choose convenience over truth.

You have to make the decision that is right for you, but I hope you think and pray over the information and advice given here. These ladies are very knowledgeable and their intention is to help those that are misinformed learn methods and practices that help one follow the true teachings of the Church.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Riss- I definitely see where the confusion was coming from, I only had a couple min. to respond each time I looked at the post and I can see that I definitely didn't go into each subject as throughly as I should have.  I guess all that I was trying to do is try to point out that the pill is not all evil.  I was just getting agitated that it appears many women on here have convinced themselves that BCP is evil and that nothing good can ever come from the pill.

There have been some suggestions, but they are not always a perfect solution.

My biggest problem was that I feel the BCP are first and foremost a medical drug and should be treated as such, but because they prevent pregnancy, the boards were saying they should never be touched.

I've discussed my options with my OBG (who herself practices and advocates NFP) and with my priest who both feel this is the appropriate treatment, even if not ideal.

On a side note- if the lady in the video knew what she was talking about, she would not have said that hormones were acting on another/attracting another individual.  And, no, I don't think her facts were good.  I felt that she was drawing assumptions were they were inappropriate.  I do understand her point of BCP can alter sexual attraction.

My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_birth-controlmedical-exception-rules-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c53e3-ffbd-461d-b0b9-922c55d46f47Post:49f66bb2-8511-4e99-86c1-6bc9b3e74d00">Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]On a side note- if the lady in the video knew what she was talking about, she would not have said that hormones were acting on another/attracting another individual. 
    Posted by blackfire5th[/QUOTE]

<div>Why wouldn't she have said that? It's true. See my PP and read the reports of the two studies I quoted in addition to the one she is quoting. Human female hormones are absorbed by and do affect other people in close proximity, i.e. husbands.</div>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The video showed only a small portion of the whole talk. Please see the whole thing. Get her cd's, they are fascinating. She is a BRILLIANT woman and does not speak without empirical data.

• Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_birth-controlmedical-exception-rules-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c53e3-ffbd-461d-b0b9-922c55d46f47Post:49f66bb2-8511-4e99-86c1-6bc9b3e74d00">Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was just getting agitated that it appears many women on here have convinced themselves that BCP is evil and that nothing good can ever come from the pill. There have been some suggestions, but they are not always a perfect solution. My biggest problem was that I feel the BCP are first and foremost a medical drug and should be treated as such, but because they prevent pregnancy, the boards were saying they should never be touched.

Thanks for your response. hee hee...I kinda do think BCP is evil if it is not used when medically necessary. I think it's optimal to challenge and question whether it is the best option when you do have a meduical condition. There are women with endometriosis, PCOS, horrible peiods that do not use BCP because they've made a point of trying out all the other options and have been successful. Most of the ladies here do believe that there can be cases where non-BCP methods are not effective. But, I think the point is to exhaust all other options before going down the BCP route.

I didn't watch the video, but I'm quite often diappointed in what church representatives use as reasons and rationales behind church beliefs. I usually think there are stronger messages to be sent that are simple and straight forward. That doesn't mean I don't believe in the main topic.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also mentioned yesterday at the TOB congress.

there is 5-7 septic abortions (caused by chemicals from hormonal bc) for every 1 surgical abortion.

The thing is, there are many many docs who will stand by with their life that hormonal BC is poison, plain and simple. It may have some good effects (Which actually are the same effects by pregnancy-- because it makes the body think its pregnant), but the overall effect is absolute devastation, not even taking into account moral reasons, but simply medically. Please, if you are in doubt....call up one of the OBGYN's listed. Ask them about how harmful it is.

It's taking a pill to make the body STOP working the way its supposed to. Taking a working functioning fertile system and shut it down. Or even a struggling system and shutting it down. The "period" experienced on the pill is NOT a real period. The side effects are tolerated in our culture so that people can have sex without consequences and use women. These side effects would not be tolerated with other "medicines".

It is an amazing amount of misinforation and lies that makes people believe that the pill is some kind of cure or medical treatment.
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    edited December 2011
    agape - there was a short article in the Chronicle about what you are saying regarding the side effects of the pill - click here.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_birth-controlmedical-exception-rules-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c53e3-ffbd-461d-b0b9-922c55d46f47Post:21962fde-65d7-4b47-aacf-8b1e6acd2866">Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long) : Why wouldn't she have said that? It's true. See my PP and read the reports of the two studies I quoted in addition to the one she is quoting. Human female hormones are absorbed by and do affect other people in close proximity, i.e. husbands.
    Posted by meltoine[/QUOTE]

<div>I just mean that hormones do not act on another individual.  Hormones only act on the individual who produces them.  Pheromones is the word she was looking for.  Hormones and pheromones are only a minor part of my research and it's just one of those things that is so drilled into you that if she actually studied the system, she would not have made the mistake.</div>
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_birth-controlmedical-exception-rules-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c53e3-ffbd-461d-b0b9-922c55d46f47Post:1b9f6b68-8717-44ad-989b-b162fae48660">Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long) : Thanks for your response. hee hee...I kinda do think BCP is evil if it is not used when medically necessary. I think it's optimal to challenge and question whether it is the best option when you do have a meduical condition. There are women with endometriosis, PCOS, horrible peiods that do not use BCP because they've made a point of trying out all the other options and have been successful. Most of the ladies here do believe that there can be cases where non-BCP methods are not effective. But, I think the point is to exhaust all other options before going down the BCP route. I didn't watch the video, but I'm quite often diappointed in what church representatives use as reasons and rationales behind church beliefs. I usually think there are stronger messages to be sent that are simple and straight forward. That doesn't mean I don't believe in the main topic.
    Posted by Riss91[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>haha, I'm glad I came back.  BCP wasn't an option I entered into lightly and I was frustrated that so many were trying to convince me that they knew better.</div><div>
    </div><div>Edit: That they knew better than a medical prof.</div><div>
    </div>
    bio
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_birth-controlmedical-exception-rules-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c53e3-ffbd-461d-b0b9-922c55d46f47Post:0713bc2c-2e41-4075-a533-4882c7c86004">Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long) : haha, I'm glad I came back.  BCP wasn't an option I entered into lightly and I was frustrated that so many were trying to convince me that they knew better. Edit: That they knew better than a medical prof.

It did come across to me that you chose BCP very willingly, just based on your comments that it's a gift from God, etc. So, not having anything further to clarify your stance, I made the same conclusion as others.  Glad you clarified!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    <div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;line-height:normal;">In Response to <a style="text-decoration:none;font-weight:normal;color:#1f1f1f;" href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_birth-controlmedical-exception-rules-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c53e3-ffbd-461d-b0b9-922c55d46f47Post:7af6e609-b799-47bf-9aef-60ec17d6ee24">Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long) : It did come across to me that you chose BCP very willingly, just based on your comments that it's a gift from God, etc. So, not having anything further to clarify your stance, I made the same conclusion as others.  Glad you clarified!
    Posted by Riss91[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah, I meant the "gift from God" as more of a joke since it has made such a difference in my life.  I didn't mean it like God has created this magic pill and thus it is wonderful and we should all use it.</div><div>
    </div><div>Meltoine- I just got the chance to read the actual paper you referenced (not the stripper one, the second one).  I wanted a chance to read it because my google scholar searches kept coming up with papers that continued to suggest that a human sexual pheromone had not yet me identified and there is a lot of evidence that humans base attractiveness based on visual cues.  That paper, along with other BCP papers I could find, all find evidence that a woman changes her behavior for mate choice and in how much she flirts (stripper article).  So far there isn't any evidence that BCP is affecting how men react based on a sexual pheromone, which is what the lady in the video is suggesting.</div></div>
    bio
  • Options
    Bec20Bec20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_birth-controlmedical-exception-rules-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c53e3-ffbd-461d-b0b9-922c55d46f47Post:173bf118-77bc-4088-a094-e0a0cf4df810">Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long) : I just mean that hormones do not act on another individual.  Hormones only act on the individual who produces them.  Pheromones is the word she was looking for.  Hormones and pheromones are only a minor part of my research and it's just one of those things that is so drilled into you that if she actually studied the system, she would not have made the mistake.

I was thinking the same thing about the pheromones/hormones thing.  I do understand why the Church is an advocate for NFP instead of BC.  However, I do think that each woman has to choose what best suits her and her own beliefs in this area.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_birth-controlmedical-exception-rules-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c53e3-ffbd-461d-b0b9-922c55d46f47Post:bb7ee6c5-b3a1-470c-a46a-3e86270726fc">Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long) : I was thinking the same thing about the pheromones/hormones thing.  I do understand why the Church is an advocate for NFP instead of BC.  However, I do think that each woman has to choose what best suits her and her own beliefs in this area.
    Posted by Bec20[/QUOTE]

This is relativism

You can change any sin for this: I understand why the church teaches that stealing is wrong, but I think each person has to choose what best suits them their own beliefs in this area.

Truth isn't relative to what you want it to believe, it is what God has revealed to us

It seems we are only bitter towards the teachings that we want to break or that challenge us. Perhaps the problem isn't with the church teaching, but in our hearts.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I do understand why the Church is an advocate for NFP instead of BC.  However, I do think that each woman has to choose what best suits her and her own beliefs in this area. 

dangerous thought process here......

imagine this statement if "NFP" was replaced with the word "life" and "BC" replaced with the word "abortion".............. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_birth-controlmedical-exception-rules-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c53e3-ffbd-461d-b0b9-922c55d46f47Post:0713bc2c-2e41-4075-a533-4882c7c86004">Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long) : haha, I'm glad I came back.  BCP wasn't an option I entered into lightly and I was frustrated that so many were trying to convince me that they knew better. Edit: That they knew better than a medical prof.

Originally it did come across as you not having considered it seriously.  So I am glad that you came back to clarify.

My point was only that there are (at least some times) alternatives to BCP, and my position is that all those alternatives should be investigated prior to turning to the Pill.  I think maybe at points we were talking past each other... so again, glad you came back to the thread.  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Christyhal, it is very ironic that you posted this question this week because I'm in a similar situation!  For years I've dealt with some of the same symptoms you mentioned and was wondering the same thing.  I started having problems when I was 17 and finally visited a doctor when the symptoms became unbearable at age 19.  I've been on a birth control pill for the past 5 years now and just got married last month.  However, I've continued to have problems and they have recently gotten worse.  The possibility of endometriosis has always been in the back of my mind but a few years ago, my doctor said if in fact I did have it there was no way of treating it other than with birth control or laparascopic surgery to limit the lesions from further developing and affecting my fertility.  The birth control has definitely helped, but I'm still concerned and have been doing a lot of research on endometriosis recently.  I actually just set up another appointment with a different doctor now that I'm living in a new town, and I'm hoping to get some more answers.  I'm praying that I don't have it, but if I do then it's better to find out sooner than later.  Endometriosis is a very tricky, confusing, and scary situation.  I really feel for you and can kind of understand where you're coming from at this point.  I see no problem with using birth control in your situation or my own.  If it weren't for the medicine we wouldn't be able to live life to the fullest and possibly even have children.          
  • Options
    Bec20Bec20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ah, but natural law AND positive law have problems with stealing.  It's one of those things society has dubbed as bad for thousands of years.

As for the NFP/BC vs. life/abortion issue, that's quite the can of worms, figuratively speaking.  In short, I believe that I can decide what is right for me, based on my morals and spirituality.  I don't have the right, nor the desire, to tell people with other beliefs what they can and can not do.

Back to endometriosis... If a woman has discussed her condition with multiple doctors and done her research on the pill, it is clearly an educated decision to use it.  I don't believe that any medication should be taken lightly, BC included.  However, I do accept that it is the best treatment option for some women.
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_birth-controlmedical-exception-rules-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c53e3-ffbd-461d-b0b9-922c55d46f47Post:3beba2ec-f087-40c9-a53e-c37485602238">Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ah, but natural law AND positive law have problems with stealing.  It's one of those things society has dubbed as bad for thousands of years. As for the NFP/BC vs. life/abortion issue, that's quite the can of worms, figuratively speaking.  In short, I believe that I can decide what is right for me, based on my morals and spirituality.  I don't have the right, nor the desire, to tell people with other beliefs what they can and can not do. Back to endometriosis... If a woman has discussed her condition with multiple doctors and done her research on the pill, it is clearly an educated decision to use it.  I don't believe that any medication should be taken lightly, BC included.  However, I do accept that it is the best treatment option for some women.
    Posted by Bec20[/QUOTE]

Correct, but we are on a Catholic board, discussing Catholic beliefs. So, the idea of defending the beliefs of the Church and attempted to clarify, educate and correct others that consider themselves Catholic is perfectly acceptable. No one is saying anyone is or isn't allowed to choose what is right for them. They are just expressing that certain decisions and choices go against Church teaching and do not follow God's plan for those who are Catholics.

Additionally, as was mentioned in a previous post, it is sinful to give slander to the Church by publicly and outwardly going against its teachings. So it's almost part of our responsibility to help those that may not realize they are headed down that path.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_birth-controlmedical-exception-rules-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c53e3-ffbd-461d-b0b9-922c55d46f47Post:3beba2ec-f087-40c9-a53e-c37485602238">Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ah, but natural law AND positive law have problems with stealing.  It's one of those things society has dubbed as bad for thousands of years. As for the NFP/BC vs. life/abortion issue, that's quite the can of worms, figuratively speaking.  In short, I believe that I can decide what is right for me, based on my morals and spirituality.  I don't have the right, nor the desire, to tell people with other beliefs what they can and can not do. Back to endometriosis... If a woman has discussed her condition with multiple doctors and done her research on the pill, it is clearly an educated decision to use it.  I don't believe that any medication should be taken lightly, BC included.  However, I do accept that it is the best treatment option for some women.
    Posted by Bec20[/QUOTE]

Actually, it isn't the can of worms. Until 1930, all christian faiths taught that abc was wrong. Even freud, who is no friend of the church, stated that it would be the downfall of society when seperating sex from procreation. On top of that, the secular push has completely ignored the empirical data for the downfall of the family and terrible health that has come from the use of ABC.

We DO have the right and obligation to correct and admonish, this is our baptismal and gospel obligation. If someone is hurting themselves, standing around watching does no good.

I fear the day that God could tell me "you knew better, why didn't you say anything"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all your comments, ladies.  I will be reviewing my particular situation with my priest before the wedding, and I have a very good relationship with my current doc, who understands my morals better than most docs I've worked with.  I actually tried non-BC methods of controlling my symptoms for a number of years before I resorted to BC in order to not be incapacitated for a week each month.  So for my situation it really was a last resort.  And I do want to have kids sooner rather than later.  It's good to know that I'm not alone in this struggle.

Love 06/2005 | Marriage 05/28/2011 | Baby! Peanut born on his due date, 9/30/12 Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_birth-controlmedical-exception-rules-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c53e3-ffbd-461d-b0b9-922c55d46f47Post:b9cea683-a854-4a0a-97ff-828c87313ce8">Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE] As far as BCP being poison, PP can make the same argument about altering your body's biochemistry and innate function with ANY other drug.  Certainly no one would advocate against taking one's epilepsy, blood pressure or lung function medication.  A drug, by definition, alters biochemistry to elicit a response- be it not seizing, pain relief, lowered BP, better breathing, or a menstrual period that doesn't render one incapacitated. You're sick, you are treating a medical condition and not using it to prevent pregnancy.  There aren't any fertilized eggs to speak of in this equation.
    Posted by katelynbrian[/QUOTE]

True - any drug is altering your body's natural chemistry, however in this specific case the "side effects" of treating your painful period, endometriosis, etc through the BCP is a possible abortion which goes against Catholic beliefs (nevermind the fact that we are to be open to life and that sex is meant for both love and procreation). And yes, there may be fertilized eggs in the equation as in some cases ovulation does still occur, however the egg cannot implant due to the thinned uterine lining that is part of what BCP does. Many many women do not realize that this is a possibility as they will never know they wereor could have been "pregnant" and it is not like BCP companies are broadcasting this detail.  The point people have made here is that, as a Catholic, it's best to try alternatives first and BCP should be a last resort.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_birth-controlmedical-exception-rules-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c53e3-ffbd-461d-b0b9-922c55d46f47Post:b9cea683-a854-4a0a-97ff-828c87313ce8">Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sigh... hormones by definition are chemicals produced by your body that travel in your blood to another body to elicit a response.  Pheromones are chemicals produced in sweat glands, sebaceous glands etc. that other animals/people can detect. Totally different. As far as BCP being poison, PP can make the same argument about altering your body's biochemistry and innate function with ANY other drug.  Certainly no one would advocate against taking one's epilepsy, blood pressure or lung function medication.  A drug, by definition, alters biochemistry to elicit a response- be it not seizing, pain relief, lowered BP, better breathing, or a menstrual period that doesn't render one incapacitated. You're sick, you are treating a medical condition and not using it to prevent pregnancy.  There aren't any fertilized eggs to speak of in this equation.

Actually, the meds you speak of "alter" chemistry to make the body work normally.

The BCP doesn't do this...it  shuts down a working system (or a struggling to work system) and gives off symptoms that make it appear as if everything is normal.

Breakthrough ovulation does indeed occur with BCP. It's stated on the insert to the drug.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_birth-controlmedical-exception-rules-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c53e3-ffbd-461d-b0b9-922c55d46f47Post:5d486fd3-cb49-407f-8db1-9772acd8b588">Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]They alter biochemistry by definition.  While the conditions I mentioned may cause some pathology, they are natural state of the body that develop due to age, poor diet, etc..  Virtually every drug will also have side effects that will be the result of a chemical being present in the body. Epilepsy drugs inhibit ion channels in the brain that function in neuronal excitability. Epilepsy drugs can cause a slew of neurological side effects as a result. Blood pressure medications can inhibit cardiac ion channels, specific enzymes present in the walls of blood vessels or muscle contractility. Blood pressure medications can also effect baseline cardiac reflexes pertaining to blood vessels. So, these medications don't actualy make the body function "normally."  They are a chemical way to reverse pathology, not induce normalcy.  And as far as there being no fertilized eggs involved, OP is taking BCP for endometriosis, not pregnancy prevention.  She's not having premarital sex... ergo no fertilized eggs for her to consider.  Just a very real medical conditon to treat.

My point still stands. These medicines you are referring to all make the body work. Blood pressure meds lower blood pressure. , etc.The side effects being minor compaired to the treatment.This is also a philosophical argument more than a technical one.

BCP< does NOT make the body work. The actual thing its "treating" is to shut down a working system.It's not actually treating at all... The side effects being even more drastic, harmful, and deadly than the issue itself.

A girl has what appears to be a normal period (which it isn't) and less pain and thinks all is well. It is the equivalent to taking painkillers to stop the pain from a headache caused by a brain tumor.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    And as far as there being no fertilized eggs involved, OP is taking BCP for endometriosis, not pregnancy prevention.  She's not having premarital sex... ergo no fertilized eggs for her to consider.  Just a very real medical conditon to treat.

yes, but she's wise to be thinking ahead for when she is married.....not like her condition will magically disappear once she says "i do".   i certainily dont envy her dilemma. 
  • Options
    Bec20Bec20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_birth-controlmedical-exception-rules-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:c23c53e3-ffbd-461d-b0b9-922c55d46f47Post:9ab16feb-f120-4175-b7cc-0a6eb6055dbf">Re: birth control...medical exception to the rules? (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]BCP< does NOT make the body work. The actual thing its "treating" is to shut down a working system.It's not actually treating at all... The side effects being even more drastic, harmful, and deadly than the issue itself.
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

But the system of a woman with endometriosis isn't working.  The endomitrium is not supposed to grow all over a woman's body, it is supposed to grow strictly in the uterus.  The BCP prevents the lining from growing all over the place and not to the same extent in the uterus.  Mnay people consider that to be "fixing the system".

I think this is one of the things people will need to agree to disagree with.  The OP has stated she tried many other treatments over the course of a few years, but that none of them worked except for the pill.  At least in her case, I think it needs to be seen as an acceptable treatment method.
  • Options
    AriaGooseAriaGoose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    GulfCoaster - who is your NFP doc?  I live in Biloxi and am DESPARATELY looking for a Creighton model doctor or NFP-only doc - the nearest I can find is Baton Rouge.  I'm in the Air Force and they just keep trying to put me on BC (but FI and I want children as soon as possible and I am suspicious of the "health benefits" and more importantly health problems associated as many other ladies have posted here).  I have SUPER painful periods (you know its bad when you're in Iraq and they send you back to your bed with a loaded weapon and codeine...) and according to my charts it looks like I'm all screwed up, but blood tests have showed that I'm normal... bah.  A local doctor would be awesome to be able to go to...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards