Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Stacking a cake?

Having a traditional, stacked wedding cake wasn't an option due to budget. I've ordered three cakes an 8 inch, 10 inch, and 12 inch. I'm debating stacking them myself, or just displaying them separately cake stands I already own.

My preference is to stack them. How hard is it? I've read some instructions online, but wanted to hear other's experiences. They're coming on cake rounds, so it's a matter of putting dowels in cakes and stacking them, right? I was going to put ribbon along the bottom to cover the gap. Or am I setting myself up for failure?

Re: Stacking a cake?

• Options
    Stacking cakes is not hard.  Will they be covered in buttercream or fondant?  If buttercream, you may want to get a wide spatula or cake lifter to help stack them.  With the weight, I would atleast put dowel rods in the bottom and maybe the middle tier for support.  Also, can you get a little extra frosting to cover imperfections if needed?  As a bride, I would say it might be best to delegate it to someone else.  It is best if you stack it at the venue, so you dont have to try and transport the cake.  Watch you tube videos for tips.  Good luck!
  • Options
    They're covered in buttercream, and I've asked for extra frosting because I knew at a minimum I'd be putting a cake topper on and wanted extra just in case. I'm able to dowel them and stack them at the venue, right before the wedding. I won't need to transport it after it's stacked, so as long as it doesn't fall on its own, it'll be fine. I think.
  • Options
    It's not too hard.  I'd suggest "doweling" each layer so that there's plenty of support for each tier.  Try getting a book from your local library or look on YouTube for how-to's.  There's nothing like watching it be done!

• Options

Doweling the cake is a must.  If not you could end up with a very squished and lopsided cake.  I would do a quick YouTube search to see how to do the dowels and then you should be good to go.

Oh and I would make sure that the cake is somewhat cold when you do this because that way the cake will be a bit firmer and easier to handle.  It will warm up quickly once it has been sitting out for a bit.

• Options
    Oh, thanks! I didn't think about keeping them cold, but that makes sense. I can keep them in the freezer for the three hours between when I pick them up and when I stack them.
  • Options
    Honestly... I wouldn't do this.  Not because it's particularly difficult, but you are going to be busy on your wedding day.  And what are you going to do if you stack them and have a failure?  Like, you squish the bottom tier, or you totally ruin the icing?    If you insist on doing this, I would buy some cakes ahead of time and do a test run. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_stacking-a-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:c07c1383-71b7-44fd-ac2a-16a18fb3854fPost:19870d82-3890-45c8-8c5c-b32b904c2407">Re: Stacking a cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, thanks! I didn't think about keeping them cold, but that makes sense. I can keep them in the freezer for the three hours between when I pick them up and when I stack them.
    Posted by CA.Giraffe[/QUOTE]

I would just put them in the refrigerator that should be good enough.

Would the venue have any catering staff to help you with this?  They may have some experience in stacking cakes.  If so, I would have them do it so you wouldn't have to worry about it.

• Options
    Our reception venue is the church, and it's not catered so I'm handling all the food.
  • Options
    Be generous with the doweling, and it honestly shouldn't be a problem.  Wilton sells pre-cut dowels, and as long as you aren't trying to do columns, you should be fine. 

If you want a little extra insurance, ask the bakery for an extra cake circle for each cake (the cardboard circles that go under the frosted cake -- should be the exact size of the tier, so 8", 10" and 12").  Alternately, you can usually buy them at party-supply stores.  After you put the dowels in the bottom tier, place the cardboard circle on top, then use two large spatulas / cake lifters to ease the next tier onto the cardboard.  Repeat.  Having an extra pair of hands is helpful.  The ribbon trim will cover any cardboard that might otherwise show (or just frost over it), and the extra frosting you've ordered will take care of any marks in the frosting.

You can always take along your cake stands so that if you get overwhelmed or change your mind the day of, you can just put them out on those.
  • Options
    Placing your cake in a fridge will only help to dehydrate it. Freeze it or leave it out.
  • Options
    i'm just a little hesistant because i've done this for my cake decorating classes. being a student, i made about a dozen wedding cakes. i can say that stacking cakes is much harder than i expected, to get the layers lined up well, not having frosting smeared too much, etc.

i agree with the person who suggested that you delegate this. also, please do a test run so they can get the hang of it. bring extra icing to fix problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards