Florida-Central Florida

To buy or not to buy...

I have just been looking at dresses online and wasn't planning on buying til the end of summer when I will have hopefully lost 15-20 pounds. But, I found a dress I really like and found a bridal shop that's going out of business selling it on ebay. Its new with tags and $268, instead of the regular $650. I really like it, but I'm worried its too early to buy. I'm also afraid of jinxing myself by buying a dress that's a size too small, although I tried on a dress of the same brand one size bigger and it fit almost perfect. Should I buy or just let it go? I could probably resell it if I change my mind, but I also don't want to be haunted by this dress if I don't buy! Help! 

Re: To buy or not to buy...

• Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's very pretty! I'll just say the same thing that others said to me when I wasn't sure about buying one on ebay at a good deal... only buy it if you REALLY love it. It's true you could try to sell it if you change your mind or it doesn't fit, but if you can't sell it do you have an extra $268 to lose? GL with the decision!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • ericak926ericak926 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress on Ebay but mine kinda fit. I wouldn't buy a dress that doesn't zip up because just in case you don't lose the weight or enough then you are going to be streesed out and angry that you have to go find another dress.
  • edited December 2011
    I think it might be better to order closer to your size since you can always get it taken in, but getting it let out is a different story. GL!
  • edited December 2011
    The dress is beautiful! I agree with PP, you should order the size that you fit into now. My mom used to work in a bridal salon and it is definitely easier to take in a dress than let it out. I'd say go for it!! When you know, you know!
  • jmucheech21jmucheech21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you should do it.  While $268 is a lot of money its also an amazing price!!  Sure, its taking a gamble.. but to me, I think the possibility of saving $400 on a dress you love is worth taking the chance that in the end it may cost you $268 extra if it doesn't pan out..

Also, 15-20 pounds, you can definitely do it!!  I started doing the full plate diet (google it, its awesome) on Jan 3 and in 3 months I have lost 22 pounds.  I have to admit I haven't been very religious about the diet either, so if you were really committed to losing that weight, you could definitely lose that and more!!  I highly recommend that diet, it really allows you to still eat all the foods you want to eat, but just has you put fiber foods first.  I've done so many diets over the years and this and weight watchers are the ones I recommend the most!  

Good luck!!  =)
  • AileeneGAileeneG member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you really love it and wouldn't mind losing the $268 if you don't end up using it, then go for it. If the money is something you can't spare if you have to buy another dress, then don't buy it. If it doesn't fit, then it might be more effort to lose the weight and have it altered (which costs money as well that you need to factor into the final price), than it would be to find another dress that is in your size that you like just as much if not more.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone. If you know you have time to commit to loosing weight and you know it is possible then I say go for it!  Good luck!!!!
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I wouldn't do it...  Because I don't trust ebay.  650 dollars is not a whole lot for a wedding dress so even if you got it at full price, I think it'd be a steal. But, what if this store is giving you a replica of something you liked and it's not the exact same thing?  What if it is dirty or has stains?  Also, not being able to know if it fits would definitely worry me.  I don't know.... I think I'd rather pay a few hundred dollars extra for peace of mind then lose a few hundred dollars on a gamble. 
  • edited December 2011
    Make sure you pay with paypal. I've used Ebay a LOT and only  had one bad experience. Luckily I payed with paypal & they will reimburse you if you pay & never see the dress (or it's different than listed). I agree, go for it! You can always have it altered. Even if you end up having to have it taken out (but you won't! :)) it will still cost less than the dress in the store.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going to have to go with Theresa on this one ... I wouldn't do it.  It's really gorgeous, but there will be other really gorgeous dresses and you will also find other really good deals.  The risk of you getting it and not liking it, now or later, for one reason or another is just too large.  And if that happens then you've actually spent $300 more than you would have otherwise.  The only thing that would make me say go for it though is if you had been to a store, tried on the same dress and loved it and then found it on ebay for super cheap.  On the other hand, you might be one of the lucky ones, and get to laugh at all of us when you're looking awesome in your $300 gown :)

As far as the size goes, I always say go up a size long before you go down a size ... with a little research you could easily find a tailor who would fit it to you like a glove for a decent price whereas if it were too small, you'd be up a creek.        
  • andee1353andee1353 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I go along with Theresa and Erin on this one. No way would I purchase something important as my wedding dress on line. Especially since the store is going out of business, no recourse should it be damaged (tags don't mean anything, they can be replaced). But that's me. GL
  • ashbosityashbosity member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I'm going to see if any of the bridal shops in Orlando have it in stock. That way, I can get a better idea of how close it will be to fitting. I have confidence I can lose 15 pounds in a year, but I also know there are things that proportionally will never fit me. It is a sample so I can't have it ordered in a different size. It comes from a bridal shop that has 100% positive feedback and there is a double money back guarantee to be the real dress. I emailed the seller to be sure about the condition. We are on a fairly tight budget, so I know I will probably end up with a sample or a preowned dress and I'm ok with that. As long as it all comes together, I will probably buy it. Thanks for all the input!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards