Registry and Gift Forum

So. Stinking. Tempting.

Gah!

Just logged on to our registry to edit something and it says there are 4 gifts purchased! Whoo! The shower is on Saturday and I'm so excited!

However.... it's so tempting to peek and see what was purchased. FI looked because he wanted to tantalize me since I'm so impatient. How do you not look? I want it to be a surprise but it's SO HARD.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
"He was my mum and dad's best friend. He's a convicted murderer, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run. He likes to keep in touch with me, though...keep up with news...check if I'm happy..."

Harry on Sirus to the Dursleys. HP Prisoner of Azkaban

Re: So. Stinking. Tempting.

• egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    I've taken up stalking my friend's registry, it's helping me get through the shower.  She's getting married a couple months before me, so I'm not sure how I'm not going to peek after that.  My MOH is also making any changes for us, because if I go to the registry, I'm going to peek.
  • Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    We looked.    I don't see the big deal.  These are gifts you specifically selected.  Who cares if you know which ones were purchased?  You still won't know who bought them until you open the gifts, so you'll still be surprised.

And you'll probably get some off-registry gifts as well, so there will be plenty of surprises at your shower.
    DSC_9275
  • I have managed to stay away, and I thought it made the shower a lot more fun, especially because we registered for a LOT of things, so it really was a crapshoot what we were going to get.
    But yeah, I would say 25% of my gifts didn't come from our registry. And that doesn't include cash.
  • We stalked our registry every day even though it was a small one. 
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • I stalked it every day last week.  My shower was on Sunday, and I was still surprised, because a lot of people bought gifts on the way to the shower, and I didn't look the day of my shower.  And there were quite a few items I received that were listed on our registry, but the shower guest didn't tell the cashier that it was from a registry (so it still showed as "purchased - 0").
  • rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_so-stinking-tempting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:c846d49b-18f0-489c-9e0b-e7e8c8e0d5b5Post:d121093a-0b69-487a-9439-630dc6cf6e2a">So. Stinking. Tempting.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Gah! Just logged on to our registry to edit something and it says there are 4 gifts purchased! Whoo! The shower is on Saturday and I'm so excited! However.... it's so tempting to peek and see what was purchased. FI looked because he wanted to tantalize me since I'm so impatient. <strong>How do you not look?</strong> I want it to be a surprise but it's SO HARD.
    Posted by Britoz[/QUOTE]
    I didn't try not to! I stalked that bad boy every single day. Trust me, you will still be surprised. Honestly, you'll never be 100% surprised because hello...you picked out the registry! But still, you don't know who got what. Also, it takes some time for the registry to be updated. So there may be more gifts out there that haven't shown up. Or, the cashier forgot to add it & you don't know it's purchased. I see no harm in it. Stalk away! 
  • I just made a post about this yesterday on my month board! It's so tempting to look and I don't think I can stop. All of the posters on that thread said that the real surprise is who gives you what gifts, so that makes it all better, right?! :)

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I've looked, mostly because on the Macy's registry, there's no way to not look, unless you just don't look at the registry at all, and that wasn't an option for me because  I wanted to make sure the registry was up-to-date and nothing had been discontinued, since my shower's happening soon.  I don't think looking is that big of a deal - you still don't know who the gift is coming from, and it's not like knowing what you're getting is going to change how grateful you are to receive it, you know?
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I stalk too.  Someone bought all of the towels we asked for!!!  I have convinced myself there is nothing wrong with looking.
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    I'm a really hard person to surprise, I was all for registry stalking until my engagement party. It's really common in our area to at least start the registry before the e-party.  We ended up having a lot of family members hang around afterwards and watch us open gifts.  I personally found I didn't have the same excited reaction when opening the gifts that I knew had been purchased because of my registry stalking.  I was super excited when I saw it marked as purchased on the registry, but had difficulty showing the same level of enthusiasm when I opened it.  

I was also pretty good at identifying the gift by box size when the people walked in the door with them, so I wasn't surprised who gave it to us either.  Basically, I displayed a lot of enthusiasm about gifts that were off registry or purchased from the registry that morning, and I feel like I might have hurt some feelings by not being so excited about other gifts, even though I was just as excited when I registry stalked and saw they had been purchased.

I don't think this will matter for the wedding so much, since it's only going to be us and our parents when we open our gifts, but I didn't want this to come up again at the shower.  If you don't think this will be a problem for you, registry stalk away!  

• We stalk our registry everyday, partly to make sure there are still things available in different price points so one of our guests doesn't go to shop our registry and find that there is nothing in their price range or they have to combine a whole bunch of little things to meet what they're looking to spend. 
    You will be surprised, I had a lot of fun at my shower seeing what my friends and family had picked out from my registry. I got gifts from people who I would not have expected to buy those things for me (a bar set from my grandma).  My mom also gave my registry information to some of my old teachers who I was close with, but they're not invited to the wedding, (my mom is also a teacher in the same school district) and we got some gifts mailed to our house that were from them and it was a very nice surprise, even though we knew the gifts had been purchased from stalking our registry.
    There were also people at my shower who supplemented registry gifts with non-registry gifts and that was a nice surprise too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree ith Avion.  I don't see the big deal.  Not sur eif I'll stalk or not.  But it'll still be a surprise the day of the shower to see who got you what.  You know it'e been purchased, but the person who purchased it might surprise you LOL.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Thanks all! You guys crack me up.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    "He was my mum and dad's best friend. He's a convicted murderer, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run. He likes to keep in touch with me, though...keep up with news...check if I'm happy..."

Harry on Sirus to the Dursleys. HP Prisoner of Azkaban
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_so-stinking-tempting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:c846d49b-18f0-489c-9e0b-e7e8c8e0d5b5Post:d121093a-0b69-487a-9439-630dc6cf6e2a">So. Stinking. Tempting.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Gah! Just logged on to our registry to edit something and it says there are 4 gifts purchased! Whoo! The shower is on Saturday and I'm so excited! However.... it's so tempting to peek and see what was purchased. FI looked because he wanted to tantalize me since I'm so impatient. How do you not look? I want it to be a surprise but it's SO HARD.
    Posted by Britoz[/QUOTE]

Well, honestly, I wasn't really stalking my registry until I read this post. Then I went ahead and looked. I was so surprised that a few were purchased, including one thing I really REALLY wanted!. I guess I'm so surprised, because so few guests are coming to our wedding and they are spending so much to be there, that I wasn't expecting anyone to still get a gift! I have no idea who they are from, but it's still a nice feeling!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I stalk the registry a few times a week just to make sure everything is still in stock. I also had to take things off because I recently had a birthday and my family used my registry as a birthday wish list so I had to update it. I haven't had my shower yet and we didn't opt for an e-party, so no one's gotten anything except 1 place setting of the fine china...I'm sure once it gets closer to my shower (2 months away) it'll be more interesting to stalk
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I stalked, too. It's how I found out that my mom hijacked my registry and added things I felt funny asking for or upgraded things to better versions that I felt funny asking for.

Love you, Mom.
  • I stalk but only because i keep remembering things we need to add, but just last night i discovered one of our gifts have been purchased!!! But shower and wedding invites have yet to be sent out.guess that just made it more exciting lol. so it will still be a surprise @ shower/wedding. cant waits!! :)

• LOL.....I can't stop from looking either! I will let my FH "hey we are getting......." and he always tells me to stop looking!
    There are a few things we really liked that we put on the registry, but they haven't been purchased yet. I just keep saying "I want that dang bowl!" lol I want it even more after his mother kindly informed me, "No One is going to pay that amount of money for that bowl" I was really taken back by that! After all, it is truly our taste and would fit us perfectly! And if I do get the bowl, you can be sure I will be taking it with me to even event my MIL will be at and I will serve every meal in it to her. LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards