Snarky Brides
Options

What are you reading?

I know we said we would do this weekly but whatever.

1: What are you reading?
2:What is it about?
3:Would you recommend it?

Im still reading Wicked.  Im forcing myself to finish it.  Its weird though because I actually like the story, I just dont think its well written so its hard to read.  I dont know if that makes sense.
045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
BabyFruit Ticker
DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!

Re: What are you reading?

• Options
    I'm reading AWOL on the Appalachain Trail right now.  It's about a guy who leaves his job to thru-hike the AT, and so far it's pretty good!  I'd recommend it for anyone that likes stories like or non fiction.  It's probably not for everyone though!

I'm also reading Double Dexter, which is the newest Dexter novel, and I can't really tell you what it's about without giving away the other books, but it's about Dexter ;)  It's good and I'd recommend it.

And I'm reading Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell, the newest Scarpetta book.  I know a lot of people haven't liked her newer ones, but I really like this one so far.  It's moving a lot faster than the last couple--and I prefer this writing style, it's much more like the early novels.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I felt the same way about Wicked, Blue.

• Options
    J- I have never seen Dexter.  Maybe ill check out the books first.

DJ- If you are behind, then im behind too.  I read Hunger Games when we went to Aruba.  I still have not read the other 2.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am reading Beyond the Western Sun.  It is really good, I am only a couple chapters in.  It is about a little boy who dies and his dad is going to go to the land of the dead to try and bring his spirit back so he can live again.  It's full of Native American folklore.  I highly recommend it.  I can't wait to keep reading it :)
  • Options
    I didn't care for Wicked in book form, either.  Very dark and political.

I just finished The Art of Racing in the Rain.  Fantastic - anyone who has ever loved a dog should read it.  I'm halfway through If It Was Easy They'd Call The Whole Damn Thing a Honeymoon.  It's hilarious.  I'm starting Sesh's sequel now too.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Blue, the first book follows the first season fairly closely until the end.  After that they go wildly in different directions, but I love the Dexter character even more in the books than in the TV show.  And I think the books are well written.  And I love the show.  So I'd recommend both :)

• Options
    I'm reading The Blind Contessa's New Machine...and I can't put it down. I finished The Hunger Games last week, and I need to get the next two so I can read them too.

My parents got me a subscription to Marie Claire for Christmas, and I'm debating attempting to read all of the books they recommend in 2012 (I figure that would be about 1 a week, so I probably won't, but I can try, lol).
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just download Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. A movie was made that was based off the novel. The book is narrated by a 9 year old boy who's father dies in 9/11 and he discovers a key in his dad's closet and sets out to find out about it.
  • Options
    In Response to Re: What are you reading?:
    [QUOTE]I'm reading AWOL on the Appalachain Trail right now.  It's about a guy who leaves his job to thru-hike the AT, and so far it's pretty good!  I'd recommend it for anyone that likes stories like or non fiction.  It's probably not for everyone though! I'm also reading Double Dexter, which is the newest Dexter novel, and I can't really tell you what it's about without giving away the other books, but it's about Dexter ;)  It's good and I'd recommend it. And I'm reading Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell, the newest Scarpetta book.  I know a lot of people haven't liked her newer ones, but I really like this one so far.  It's moving a lot faster than the last couple--and I prefer this writing style, it's much more like the early novels.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this Jes, I know my DH would love this. This is his dream anyway.

I'm reading Carved in Bone by Jefferson Bass. It is based around the body farm in TN.
    So far I'm really liking it. I just finished one I paid 99 cents for, Last Breath by Michael Prescott. It was a good fun read.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    J- Im gonna see if my used bookstore has any of them.

I am so behind on my want-to-read list that its sad.  My new years resolution is going to include reading more, lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Blue, I had the same issue with Wicked. It was even worse reading Son of a Witch (I got it as a gift) the next one in the series.

I re-read The Lovely Bones yesterday and cried like a sap like I always do. I need to buy a new book for the Kindle tomorrow to read on my flight. I have Amazon Prime so I figure I'll browse their new lending library.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not reading anything right now; it's terrible. I occasionally pick up the His Dark Instruments series (reading A Subtle Knife right now) when I have free time, but mostly I'm reading my own stuff in preparation for future releases.

ETA-the series is by Philip Pullman. I don't like him as a person, but the books are great.

Nice, chels :).
  • Options
    I just finished The Captive Queen, about Queen Eleanor who was married first to King Louis (the ?) of France and then King Henry II - she was the mother of Richard the Lionheart.  Historical fiction covering her entire adult life and quite a bit more "Harlequiney" than the other Alison Weir books I've read.  It was good, but I didn't like it as well as the others.  I also read the 3rd Castle book, Heat Rises, based on the ABC TV show.  Fun, easy, light reads that you can plow through in an afternoon. 

If I can get my kindle back up I'm going to read Under the Tuscan Sun next and then Walk the Red Road.  I loved Beyond the Western Sun so I'm excited to check out this next one in the series. 
  • Options
    Oh yeah, Kd, he'll love it!  If he has a Kindle and is an Amazon Prime member, he can borrow it for free right now.  Otherwise it's like 2.99 on the Kindle.

And your book sounds good too. 

• Options
    I second The Art of Racing in the Rain.  I am currently reading the fourth book in the Outlander series.
  • Options
    1: What are you reading?
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

2:What is it about?
    I'm not very far into it, maybe 86 pages. It's kind of hard to get into, dry material, but I'm hoping it picks up soon, because I want to finish it before I see the film. It looks really good.

3:Would you recommend it?
    So far, maybe. I can tell it'll be a good read, but the first few chapters are spent filling you in on a lot of back story, which reads much like a history book rather than a novel.

I'm kind of in a reading rut, and am getting down on myself for failing so miserably on my 2011 Reading Challenge. I haven't even read half of my goal. I think I just need to find more books that interest me (like Jodi Picoult) rather than trying to force myself into reading books that I'm not into simply because they're on my bucket list.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:697896ca-da15-46c9-b541-4e1811948518Post:9303f262-e6bb-4131-ba61-935508b933a1">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just got The Best of Me for Christmas and will start it this week. It is by Nicholas Sparks so I assume it's a normal Sparks book and<strong><u> all lovey dovey, big fight, get back together, The End type story</u></strong>.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

Lol.  You are so right but I still love his stuff for some reason.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm reading Anne of Green Gables.  I never read it as a kid and it was free for Kindle :)  So far it is OK; I sort of find Anne to be annoying and I don't see where the plot is going even though I'm on chapter 20-something. 

I also didn't like the book Wicked.

Edit - the last book I read was Memiors of a Geisha and I really enjoyed that.  It was interesting and a fast read. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm reading Belladonna (by Anne Bishop) and the second The Game of Thrones book (I only read this one while pumping).
  • Options
    Megh, it picked up for me about 2/3 of the way through the book.  The first 2/3 were a battle for me.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:697896ca-da15-46c9-b541-4e1811948518Post:9303f262-e6bb-4131-ba61-935508b933a1">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just got The Best of Me for Christmas and will start it this week. It is by Nicholas Sparks so I assume it's a normal Sparks book and all lovey dovey, big fight, get back together, The End type story.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

My H got that for me :)

And I've always thought Sparks stories go: resist the urge, fall in love, big fight, back together, someone dies, the end
  • Options
    Oh, that's awesome J, I'm glad you didn't give anything away.

I am slowly going through Dexter In The Dark, while H just has Double left to read I think (How many after Delicious? I will have to google), He's going crazy not having me to talk about these book with! I have to catch up pronto!

Also, I know everyone is mostly sick of talking about Hunger Games, but I have to brag: I got a H.G. calendar for xmas from BIL, and it made me feel awesome he knew what I would like. It's like mock Panem posters, with graphic art inspired by the books... good stuff.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Those are awesome gifts reddy!

I still have a soft spot in my heart for the HG series. I don't care if that makes me lame.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    Double is right after Delicious.

Darkly Dreaming
    Dearly Devoted
    In the Dark
    By Design
    Delicious
    Double.

I love that they're quick reads.  Dexter is Delicious has been my favorite so far, I think.

And I love your sig pic so hard.

• Options
    I'm on the third book in The Game of Thrones series.  I wasn't a fan of the writing style early on in the first book, but he drops some of the more annoying habits.  

I do like the characters, though.  Each chapter is from a different perspective, which can be really interesting.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:697896ca-da15-46c9-b541-4e1811948518Post:088000ba-0d3e-4aa8-b7b8-97626c4f5528">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are you reading? : I read Memoirs of  Geisha on vacation years ago and loved it.  I never saw the movie because I heard it was not nearly as good as the book. 
    Posted by Dot Dash[/QUOTE]

I heard that as well.  I often find the movie versions of books disappointing.  Although, I am looking forward to renting The Help. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:697896ca-da15-46c9-b541-4e1811948518Post:2a454ebf-9232-45d3-b916-46f2d20081ba">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just download <strong>Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. </strong>A movie was made that was based off the novel. The book is narrated by a 9 year old boy who's father dies in 9/11 and he discovers a key in his dad's closet and sets out to find out about it.
    Posted by DodgersBride[/QUOTE]

This book made me both laugh and cry harder than any other book I've read. I almost don't want to see the movie because I'm afraid it will ruin it.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I want to read all of the Game of Thrones books. I had them on my Christmas list but surprisingly, they were skipped over (usually my mom gets me books on my list). But I'm not allowing myself to buy "fun stuff" for awhile so they will have to wait.
  • Options
    I thought the movie The Help was pretty close to the book. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    reddy123reddy123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_reading-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:697896ca-da15-46c9-b541-4e1811948518Post:7c97edc0-7514-40bf-855d-a0fc401399d0">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Double is right after Delicious. Darkly Dreaming Dearly Devoted In the Dark By Design Delicious Double. I love that they're quick reads.  Dexter is Delicious has been my favorite so far, I think. And I love your sig pic so hard.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you for posting those! I'm not that far behind H after all (we have them all but Double). I also love how they are quick reads, I have to finish it once I really start it because I can't put it down. I just have been too ansy/lacked motivation to read for some reason this last month.</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks about the pic :) I have the same one where we are in focus and the flowers are not, but I've always liked the flower one more.</div>
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards