Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Parents gifts

Are you supposed to give your parents and his parents gifts?  No one I have talked to has done this in the past but it seems everywhere I look websites are selling parents gifts.

Re: Parents gifts

• It's one more piece of junk for the wedding industry to sell you. A heartfelt card is generally sufficient, though some give photo albums or other gifts. We chose books we knew they would enjoy.
  • We got our parents engraved picture frames.  Since we didn't have wedding photos to put in the frames when we gave them the frames at the rehearsal dinner, we wrote letters and placed them in the frames.  Then, once we got our wedding photos back, we gave them all a photo to fill the frame.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_parents-gifts-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:ef0286da-a7ee-439b-b188-0e0bf7b4a56ePost:34712b56-7afc-4df4-be26-196fd22c68ea">Re: Parents gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's one more piece of junk for the wedding industry to sell you. <strong><u>A heartfelt card</u></strong> is generally sufficient, though some give photo albums or other gifts. We chose books we knew they would enjoy.
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I received cards from my daughter and her husband, as well as from my son and his bride.  They were genuine and heartfelt, and I will treasure them forever.  It was indeed more than sufficient.</div><div>
    </div><div>My daughter/SIL also gave us a framed photo collage of some of their favorite family wedding pictures.  My son and DIL had a wedding album made for us.  I love both gifts, but they honestly could have stopped with the card.</div>
  • I am giving my mom a gift card to a store she likes because she did a ton of the planning for me without being a momzilla.

I think it's completely appropriate and a nice gesture if your parents did something for you or were extremely helpful.
  • We sent each set of parents a card with a note about a week before the wedding. As soon as we received our wedding pictures, I customized a photo book for the parents on Shutterfly with images each would like.

Our folks don't want/need any more "stuff"...so it's up to you. Some people really like to get a physical gift.
  • We're buying both sets of parents a picture from the wedding and a nice frame. I don't think either wants a wedding album.
  • I got my mom, his mom, and his step mom all hangers with mom of bride/groom built into the wire that match mine and my bridesmaids. Not needed but I think it's nice. :)
  • Going to get the moms 3 photo collage frame each 1) full of photos throughout my life, 2) photos of FI throughout his life 3) photos of us through our relationship =)

for the fathers, since we are having our wedding in hawaii, we are going to buy them a round of golf each since they both love golf so much =D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are getting them a card and indicating that when the photo disc ones back fom the photographer we I'll be making them a photo book.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards