New York-New York City
Options

Registry etiquette (post wedding)

My wedding was about 3 weeks ago. A bunch of people (20 or 30 couples) have still not sent gifts and our registry is almost completely tapped out at this point - I think we have a salad spinner and colander left on the list.  Is it bad form to add to the registry at this point? We certainly don't expect everyone to give a gift, but I know people often prefer to work off of a registry... Just wondering whether or not adding things at this late date is tacky. Opinions? Thanks!

Re: Registry etiquette (post wedding)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    This is a good example of why it's important to not only register for what you need and want, but to offer something for your guests, otherwise you face the possibility of not getting anything - though you should never expect to get a gift.  If most people knew and looked up your registry, then they will know you've added some gifts.  Had you done so before the wedding (which a friend of mine did and I was thankful because I couldn't afford the few gifts remaining on one of her registries), but doing so after is putting out there that you want a gift and appears a bit tacky (that's how I would read it, but then again, I'd have gotten you a gift earlier).

However, since the number is quite large, it appears that you seriously under registered, perhaps in this one instance, adding more gifts would work.  But don't add things that you can't really use.  If your registry offers the option, choose the gift card, this way folks can just add money and you can purchase something that you may need at a later date. 

I'd love to read other views on this.  My take, if it's been three weeks and these folks didn't see to get you a gift (whether on your registry, purchased on their own, or a monetary gift - which most folks usually do when the registry is complete), then I doubt you'll get anything now.  There's never a guarantee that each guest will get you something and all you can do at this point is send a nice thank you card and perhaps they'll feel compelled to get you a late gift.  GL.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    While I agree that a registry should have a wide variety of gift options at several price points, 20-30 guests not giving you wedding presents doesn't mean that you registered incorrectly.  It most likely means that your guests were hit by the economy and couldn't afford a gift (their presence was your present).  It also could mean that they are planning to send you something later.  Guests have a year to send you a present.  We just got a registry present from a guest, more than 6 months after our big day.  We also received some checks in the mail a few months after the wedding. 

As for adding items to your registry, I do not think this is in poor form at all.  Many stores offer completion discounts for the bride and groom and several couples add home goods to their registries to get these discounts (and put their wedding cash or gift cards to good use!). 

That said, I don't think that adding gifts to your registries will necessarily guarantee that the non-gifters will send you presents.  Even though most of us probably wouldn't show up to a wedding without a gift, technically, guests are not obligated to give anything.  In this economy, you especially can't expect big gifts.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I wouldn't add more to your registry.  If everything on your registry gets purchased and these people still want to give you a gift, they'll just send cash or a gift card.  Not that big a deal.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't see any harm in it.  If someone asks you about it, you can just explain that you added somethings to take maximal advantage of the completion discount. 
  • Options
    alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It can't hurt to add a few items and I don't think anyone would notice.

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • Options
    MrsKocalMrsKocal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

No one will notice! I doubt anyone has your registry memorized, and even if they do notice, who cares?  My family bought us gifts off our registry for Christmas that year as well, so I was still adding and changing things months after the wedding was over.

WE got gifts up until a full year after the wedding, so there is a strong possibility that people will still be sending you things.  People really do take full advantage of the year time limit!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards