Canada-Ontario

Still can't decide on Hamilton reception venue!! PLS HELP!

Okay I have spent months looking for a reception hall. I've looked at 15 now. And I'm still unsure. I keep thinking that I'll just know when I find the right one.

I went to Marquis Gardens in Hamilton yesterday (Rymal rd) and I thought that the room was nice, but I don't like how it looks from the outside. It seems somewhat..."not classy" to me from the outside. Because it's not in the best area.

Do you think I should look past that? Has anyone ever been to an event there?

Then we were thinking either Oakville Conference Centre or now I'm re-considering Michelangelo's.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations? Anyone that's been to a wedding at these places, PLEASE let me know how it was!

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Still can't decide on Hamilton reception venue!! PLS HELP!

• blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know someone who has booked Carmen's for her wedding and she said the food is good.(from a past wedding she attended) I have looked into Carmen's as well and I am seriously considering it.
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have this feeling before you wanted a place with big ceilings... did you check out the Royal Botanical Gardens?  It's at the border of Hamilton and Burlington and has an amazing ballroom with gigantic ceilings, an adjoining outdoor patio area, and adjoining gardens that people can meander through.

http://www.rbg.ca/Page.aspx?pid=291
  • edited December 2011
    Yes I've checked out RBG, what we didn't like about it was that it's difficult for out-of-town guests to get back and forth to a hotel. I don't think there are any hotels nearby.

I've been to probably 10 weddings at Carmen's, and so has my fiance so he is dead set against Carmen's. Also, I think the rooms are alright, but he isn't too big on the fact that the rooms are extremely plain. He thinks they look like a gymnasium.

This is extremely frustrating. EIther I haven't found the right place or I'm just being too picky? I just feel like when it's right, I'll know. But maybe it won't be that way?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might end up having to compromise on something.  We had a real hard time deciding which parameter we were willing to budge on - size, "grandeur", oudoor space, accessibility to a hotel, distance from our church, etc.

If accessibility was the only issue, could you run a shuttle from the venue to the closest hotel (probably the Sheraton in downtown Hamilton, for the RBG)?

If you really like everything about Marquis Gardens except the outdoor facade, I would probably pick that place.  Once you're inside you won't be thinking about the outside of the building, and neither will your guests.
  • ladybugmikkiladybugmikki member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We checked out Liuna Gardens where my FI attended a wedding before he met me and he enjoyed the food, the quantities seemed insane. I just didn't get a great feeling either, so I understand what you mean.

We ended up booking at the Ancaster Mill on a whim because of the feeling we got, even though it was a little above what we planned for our budget. Luckily we spoke to a few ppl who have attended a wedding there and they said it was good food. The AM is more of a restaurant instead of a banquet hall, which we thought might be different for our wedding. Hopefully our gamble pays off!

There is so much personal opinion involved and what you may value in a reception venue, might be totally different than someone else. My advice would be to pick a few things that fit with your vision as a couple and create a list, maybe 3 items, you absolutely cannot compromise on. If a venue has those things, is within budget and you feel good then go with it... If all else fails go with your gut.

Good luck!
  • ladybugmikkiladybugmikki member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also agree with naomikb's post, about being inside... Had a great time at two of my friend's weddings, even though the exteriors were not great! Good food and the interior eclipsed anything on the outside!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks guys! That made me feel better.

I will see what FI thinks about Marquis Gardens. That might be it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Carmen's is a great facility. I've been to a few weddings there and they have always been great. I'm thinking RBG or Burlington Golf & Country Club for my wedding. Have you checked out Dundurn Castle? I've heard very good things about weddings there and there is a hotel accross the road. You could also check out the Ancaster Golf & Country Club if your budget allows! Whereever your wedding is, I'm sure you will have a wonderful, magical day!
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Marquis Gardens does have two other locations (Burlington and Ancaster) have you looked at either of those?

I'm not sure if you've used this website at all (click) but it's very helpful for finding local vendors.
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you considered the Grand Olympia? They have two locations in hamilton: one on Barton St and the other in Stoney Creek. The one in Stoney Creek is nicer and so is the location. When hall shopping, I did look at Marquis Gardens and thought it was very nice as well.
  • edited December 2011
    If it makes you feel better we selected Marquis Gardens Hamilton for our wedding location!

After looking at all of the venues online and experiencing some venus in person, we chose Marquis Hamilton because we loved the room.  I had the same reservations about the exterior, but we'll be spending 10 minutes outside and 7 hours inside... so inside wins.

I love Marquis Gardens because they really only have one ballroom, therefore, you are likely going to be the only wedding (if not the only event) on that day.  As well, it offers the best seating arrangement (IMHO) if you're looking to do a head table with a dance floor.  A lot of the other places had weird head table arrangements, and podium positions so that guests wouldn't be able to see you at all!

Also, so far, the service has been really great from them!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited December 2011
    Sorry I can't help here. I looked at Liuna Gardens and thought it was beautiful and then I realized it was in Hamilton and I'm in Toronto. Good luck!!!

rjtutter: You have the cutest cat ever.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards