June 2012 Weddings
Options

To tan or not to tan (well I need a tan of some sort)

I have been wanting to go tanning before the wedding, but at the same time I don't want to get too dark or ruin the progress I have been making with my skin. I have been taking really great care of my face, but I am afraid If I go I will ruin my skin even more. I am scared to get a spray tan for fear that it will rub off onto my dress. I don't think I will do the fake and bake anymore except for maybe a few times before we go on vacation to really sunny spots, so I don't burn. My fiance also wants to tan for the honeymoon so he won't burn.

What are you ladies doing?

Re: To tan or not to tan (well I need a tan of some sort)

• Options
    julbgordojulbgordo member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I'm not going to tan for the wedding.  I never have and for me that would be out of character.

If you've tanned before, I would stick to what you're familiar with and know will get you the look you want.  Sorry I'm not much help though Smile

Edit: I plan to use that Jergen's lotion on my body a few weeks before the wedding.  I've used it in the past and really like the outcome for a subtle glow.  I've heard of other's not having a great experience with it though.  I've been using it for the past 2 summers.
  • Options
    My FI has had melanoma so we both keep it pale and pasty. I just use bronzer to warm up my face. The sun is basically FI's enemy so for the HM we both have to limit our exposure and wear tons of sun block.
  • Options
    I will be tanning a little before the wedding. Just to get a little color and also so I don't burn when we go on our HM. We also have some yard work to do before people start coming to our house for wedding events, so I will probably need to even out some sort of farmers tan! haha (Since it will be too chilly to wear something skimpy.)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Tanning so you don't burn is actually a wive's tale, did you know that? FI's sister is a dermatology PA and has told me all these interesting things I never knew.  You actually burn just as much if you're tan, you just don't feel it as much because of the burn/tan you already have.  But the damage is still being done, so you're actually just doing more damage.  I highly recommend just being happy in the skintone you have and knowing that it is beautiful :) I know that sounds cheesy, but it's true.

Just wear lots and lots of sunblock so that you're sure not to burn too painfully on the honeymoon.  I think it's great you're doing stuff to make your skin healthier for the wedding. Don't ruin that with tanning!

Try that jergens tanning lotion stuff.  It's not a one time application, so it doesn't smear off on clothes. But it still gets your skin to the tone you want it.
  • Options
    I am of Polish and Scottish descent, so you can imagine how fair my skin is. FI mentioned last night how he looks like he has a tan compared to me. I plan on staying pale (goes with the romantic look I'm going for) and bringing lots of sunblock for the honeymoon.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    Totally bad I know.. but I've already started tanning. Its something I've been doing for years! Right now its the Electric Beach but once the nice weather comes FSIL and I sit out in the sun every weekend!
  • Options
    I have gotten a lot of spray tans in the last few years and not one of them has rubbed off on my clothes.I just make sure to always get it 2 days before I need it and wear crappy clothes when you get it because it might get on your clothes right after you get it done. It's a chemical reaction with your skin so once it's set it doesn't rub off. I get the mystic tans that a lot of tanning salons have and I've really great results with it. For the wedding, if you get one, I would recommend having someone personally spray it on you to make sure you don't have streaks. But I would totally recommend them. They look totally natural and I was really happy with them.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I want a little bit of color, but I don't want to become tanorexic. My in laws and my mom are both sun worshipers they live in the sun. My in laws travel and they go to tanning salons they sun bathe on the beach. We called my fil a tanorexic and he responded, "I don't care" and they're in their early 60s! My mom is only 50 years old and she goes overboard every year to the point you can't even see her face she is so dark. I asked her to please take it lightly on the tanning, but I don't think she gets it. I need a little color. I will try a spray tan for the shower and see how that fares. I really want avoid sun damage to my skin. I know I already have some.
  • Options
    A tanning bed does nothing for me.  I used to do it almost every year and then I finally realized it's a waste of money because I hardly get color and then I still burn my first time out in the sun.  I will hopefully have some sort of tan for the wedding since mine isn't until 6/30.  I'm lucky that if I use tanning oil spray (the continuous kind) I get a nice tan and don't burn at all.  Don't worry, I use SPF 10 or 15 and always reapply.
  • Options
    I've been tanning for the past 3 years and my skin looks great. It helps my eczema so much and it's so relaxing. I go every other day. Definitely want a nice base tan for the HM and be nice and tan for the wedding
  • Options
    I will start tanning some time in April but only once or twice a week. I use to be tanning whore, in high school I went every single day! Then I went to cosmetology school and learned how bad it is for your skin so I stopped. But I am so pale I need a little bit of color plus my wedding in Las Vegas so I will be laying by the pool in very hot weather.
  • Options
    I'll be tanning for our big day. I've only ever been in a tanning bed 10 times (for my uni formal) and this will probably be the last time I will tan.

Self-tanning lotions freak me out....way too chemically. Blech.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mek20mek20 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I used to tan regularly during high school, and for other weddings I have been in. I will be tanning for the wedding as well, I don't want to look washed out, and tanning REALLY helps my skin. With the stres of the wedding, I know I will be extremely broken out, so I am going to tan a little indoors, and try to be outdoors as much as possible before the wedding.

I would also like to have base tan for our honeymoon to Costa Rica!
    First comes Love (2.23.2006)
    Then comes Marriage (6.23.2012)
    Then comes Baby #1 (5.10.2013)
    And Baby #2 (EDD 6.15.2014)
    In the baby carriage! 
  • Options
    LoveYouBLoveYouB member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I will be tanning in a booth/bed before the wedding, starting at the end of this month. I always get spray tans and as awesome as they are, they just do not compare to a real (even if achieved indoors) tan on your skin. Im all about protecting your skin and gave up indoor tanning for its harmful effects and the damage it was doing to my skin 4 years ago but always said my only exception would be when I get married. So after the wedding I will never tan indoors or outdoors again because I really do try to take good care of my skin, but this day is kind of  big deal so I want my tan to be absolutely perfect haha. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I will probably start tanning a month before. FI wants to as well. I've found it gives great results. We will be in Maui for 6 day befor the wedding so I hop to get some more colour there.

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    doeie04doeie04 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_to-tan-or-not-tan?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:aab46241-9039-4cae-b8bd-eb6cd39bbd5ePost:afa04246-efc1-4926-b485-fdfa4433856d">Re: To tan or not to tan (well I need a tan of some sort)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used to tan regularly during high school, and for other weddings I have been in. I will be tanning for the wedding as well, I don't want to look washed out, and tanning<strong> REALLY helps my skin.</strong> With the stres of the wedding, I know I will be extremely broken out, so I am going to tan a little indoors, and try to be outdoors as much as possible before the wedding. I would also like to have base tan for our honeymoon to Costa Rica!
    Posted by mek20[/QUOTE]

Do you mean acne? I find that tanning gets rid of mine. This is the major reason I am tanning before the wedding! I get it on my back in the winter from my conditoner. I don't have issues in the summer when I am out in the sun though.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_to-tan-or-not-tan?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:aab46241-9039-4cae-b8bd-eb6cd39bbd5ePost:9e94acc5-462f-436d-a556-f6de5f3d6492">Re: To tan or not to tan (well I need a tan of some sort)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: To tan or not to tan (well I need a tan of some sort) : Do you mean acne? I find that tanning gets rid of mine. This is the major reason I am tanning before the wedding! I get it on my back in the winter from my conditoner. I don't have issues in the summer when I am out in the sun though.
    Posted by doeie04[/QUOTE]
    It helps my eczema too. That's why I tan year round. It's so dry in the winter and it really takes a toll on my skin but the past couple winters have been better from tanning
  • Options
    I have NEVER tanned at a tanning salon before. I have light skin and burn easily so I do plan on trying it fairly soon to try to get some color before the wedding. I have tanning free with my gym membership and FI said he wanted to go with me as well. I think within the next month I will start going a little bit at a time until I have a base for the wedding & honeymoon.

Any tips for first time tanners? lol
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm so scared of having tan lines :(
    I'm super pale and I spend a lot of time outside during the summer.  My tan lines are VERY obvious. I have no problem at all with my skin tone, it's just that my skin is about 15 different colors during the summer.
    I was thinking about tanning, but I really hate the fake bake idea (kinda creeps me out).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_to-tan-or-not-tan?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:aab46241-9039-4cae-b8bd-eb6cd39bbd5ePost:88e873c8-b650-4099-a23e-0fb416c95afc">Re: To tan or not to tan (well I need a tan of some sort)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have NEVER tanned at a tanning salon before. I have light skin and burn easily so I do plan on trying it fairly soon to try to get some color before the wedding. I have tanning free with my gym membership and FI said he wanted to go with me as well. I think within the next month I will start going a little bit at a time until I have a base for the wedding & honeymoon. Any tips for first time tanners? lol
    Posted by myfeverplays[/QUOTE]

Use a good lotion. Most places ease you into it at first and won't let you go the maximum time your first few visits
  • Options
    I'm an Irish redhead so pasty white is my color! I tanned for a bit before college graduation and it didn't do much for me. Besides that I've realized how bad it really is to tan indoors. I don't want to look back years from now and ask myself if a tan wedding was worth cancer. I'm too scared of spray tans not looking right on me. So, I will be white. Oh well, I'll still look beautiful! :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I will definitely not be tanning or getting a spray tan. I've found that even if it looks good in person you still look orange or streaky in photographs. I won't be purposefully tanning, but I'll probably get some color just from going out on the boat once the weather gets warm. I just have to be careful with my bathing suits and only wear strapless.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_to-tan-or-not-tan?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:aab46241-9039-4cae-b8bd-eb6cd39bbd5ePost:7731571e-dde7-4bcf-9cca-7b639e4a6bd7">Re: To tan or not to tan (well I need a tan of some sort)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I will definitely not be tanning or getting a spray tan. I've found that even if it looks good in person you still look orange or streaky in photographs. I won't be purposefully tanning, but I'll probably get some color just from going out on the boat once the weather gets warm. I just have to be careful with my bathing suits and only wear strapless.
    Posted by kelsey+brandon[/QUOTE]
    My sister got a spray tan because it was free as a promo and she looked so orange. You could tell how blotchy it was from looking at her hands but kinda hard to tell her it looked weird lol
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_to-tan-or-not-tan?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:aab46241-9039-4cae-b8bd-eb6cd39bbd5ePost:88e873c8-b650-4099-a23e-0fb416c95afc">Re: To tan or not to tan (well I need a tan of some sort)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have NEVER tanned at a tanning salon before. I have light skin and burn easily so I do plan on trying it fairly soon to try to get some color before the wedding. I have tanning free with my gym membership and FI said he wanted to go with me as well. I think within the next month I will start going a little bit at a time until I have a base for the wedding & honeymoon. Any tips for first time tanners? lol
    Posted by myfeverplays[/QUOTE]

Start off with a very small amount of time. Depends on the stregnth/type of the bed but I would probably start with 5 minutes, especially if you're pretty pale.

I'll be tanning. I'm actually pretty nervous to try on my dress because when I bought it I had a fantastic tan going on (it was the end of July) and I am crazy white now.
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    I have already started in the tanning salon. I have never tanned indoors before as i tan so easy but that is exactly why i am going now. 

We have our own house & yard to upkeep, plus a garden. It gets very hot here early in the year with the sun & after i am outside for about 3 afternoons i am very dark. My tan lines are extremely noticeable. I am paying lots of money for my dress, way more than i have spent on almost anything else in my life so i do not want to look tacky by having very noticeable tan lines. 

As kaitlyn says it helps with exzema & i have a major case of it on my leg, it is a rare form that never goes away but i haven't had to use lotion to help it since i started going tanning. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Dream Honeymoon/Actual Honeymoon Disneyworld Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have been using the Jergens sunless tanning lotion and love it. I don't want to use a tanning bed because they are so bad for you. I have used it the past 10+ days or so and plan on using it daily until the wedding.
  • Options
    I will be tanning. I tan for two months every year although I have never and will never tan my face. I always cover it up.
    Anniversary Cruise Ship - Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I get really tan, my mom's side of the family is Spanish, so I plan on getting a little color before the wedding. Once my parents open the pool i'm going to lay out on the weekends if it's nice

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am not a big fan of tanning on a regular basis. But I will be for the wedding and I usually tan before tropical/warm vacations. I am super pale.. My nickname was Casper and Powder in high school. I need some color or I will be the same color as my dress. Honestly, if I step out into the sun without building a base tan it doesn't matter how much sunblock I put on (even SPF 75) I will burn.

Last year when we went to Hawaii I tanned for a few weeks and then got a Mystic Tan. It looked nice on my legs, arms, and legs...but I got lines under my butt. I have some junk in the trunk and apparently the mystic tan did not get all my back.. so I had white lines under my butt. It was pretty hilarious!
  • Options
    I don't tan. Never have, never will. I don't want to have leathery, wrinkly skin. I'm 33 and I have no wrinkles at all yet because I never leave the house without sunscreen on! :-) I'm actually a little surprised at how many of you are willing to hit up a tanning bed! They're just so bad for you. :/
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards