Catholic Weddings

Gifts for those in ceremony

Do I give a gift to the gift bearers, readers, ushers, etc.? We got gifts for the priest, parents, RB, GM, BM but budgetwise we didn't think of those in the ceremony but not in the wedding party. Am I supposed to get them gifts? I also got gifts for the family friend throwing my shower. Some of them aren't coming to the rehearsal (by their choice) and just going to wing it. Suggestions for gifts?

Re: Gifts for those in ceremony

• Ushers, maybe, but not the others, I wouldn't. They really don't do much. I mean, you certainly can, but I am sure they're not expecting anything.
    Anniversary
  • We did! They made the effort to attend the rehearsal and everything. We got one reader a restaurant gift card and one a stationary set.
  • One reader is my mom's best friend, the other is my FH friend, the gift bearer is my aunt and the usher is my mom's friend's daughter......if that helps decide if and what we should give them.
  • I was a reader in my FI's sister's wedding and I got flowers to wear, but nothing else. I really didn't expect anything, like the previous poster said, I didn't really do much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would get them something small, like a TY card and a $10-15 hostess-type gift if you feel like you need to. Maybe like a nice bottle of wine/liquor, candle, guest soap....
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If budget is a concern, perhaps a heartfelt note in a card thanking them for being part of your day?
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did. We had two ushers (one male and one female) who were also our gift bearers. They were treated like any other member of the wedding party (came to the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner, hung out with my husband before the ceremony, traveled with the wedding party, took pictures with us etc). So we got them a similar price range gift to the bridesmaids and groomsmen (we got non-matching gifts in the same price range and shopped like it was their birthday).

For the readers who were my SIL and my husband's Aunt (and Godmother) we got $15-20 (I don't remember) gift cards to their favorite restaurant and a thank you card.

I think at the very least you should write them a nice thank you card.
  • I second Elbow23, I think a nice thank you card would be sufficient. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We gave gifts to our readers, gift bearers and ushers.  The readers were my girlfriends so I gave them each an Alex & Ani 'Friend' bracelet. 
    Anniversary
  • What is the difference between usher and groomsmen with your guys?  If there isn't much a difference than you should give a gift to them, but slightly less cost if that's an issue, especially if you they are spending money on a tux rental.  I was told that we are to give a flower corsage or boutonniere to the readers.  I definitely get the added expense, since I'm putting the list of who all we need to get flowers for, godparents, grandparents, and mothers.  Since we are having our godfathers do our readings we are at least good to go there.  My two nephews are bringing the gifts up so we are gonna get them something "cool" since they are teenagers.
  • The usher is the daughter of family friend. Her, nor the readers are wearing matching clothes. 
  • The usher is the daughter of family friend. Her, nor the readers are wearing matching clothes. 
  • I think you should give them something, even small but personal to thank them for being part of your special day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards