African American Weddings

Interesting Article about Black Hair on CNN.com

Read the article and let me know what you think!

http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/07/25/touching.natural.black.hair/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

I think it is absurd that someone would want to sneak a touch at someone's hair.  I know our hair can be interesting and change at moments notice but dog you want to reach up and touch it and sneak!! CRAZY!

There is a video attached but I didn't watch it... Just read the article
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Interesting Article about Black Hair on CNN.com

• edited December 2011
    Very interesting article. I remember being in elementary where I was the only AA girl in the class and kids would love to touch my hair. One girl said it feel like cotton candy. LOL!

I decided to go natural when one day I was getting my hair relaxed in a salon and I'm thinking if this stylist has to put on gloves than why am I having her put this chemical near my BRAIN!

That was the last day I got a perm and I'm loving my natural hair. I get it straightened every week and I didn't know that I could do this by having it roller set and blow dryed straight. My hair doesn't have any damage and it is past my shoulders for the first time in my life. I could go on and on but you get my point.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • FabbiegirlFabbiegirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That video was cool.  People ask to touch my sisterlocks.  I let them because I want to show that natural hair isn't this "kinky, slave nap" idea that many people have.  When I first went natural, I didn't think it would last because my hair was too kinky.  After a while, my hair texture actually changed and became softer.  The same thing happened to a friend who said her hair was really kinky too.  

That is one of my pet peeves to hear because it shows an ignorance in not knowing what your actual natural texture is like which is actually pretty soft and manageable.
  • chescamchescam member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since I've been natural, I've had people stop me to talk about my hair and most of the times it ends in them wanting to touch my hair. People can be ignorant at times but I think most of it is honest curiosity. I've had people tell me I had good hair and asked me if I were mixed. When I told them it takes time to adjust to natural hair and embrace their own texture, many were more open and asked for tips on going natural. 

When I was in the Philippines, it was the most interesting experience. I was traveling with a group and three of us had our hair braided in single plaits. People just came up to us and touched our hair, no questions asked. What was the most surprising was that we visited Government hospitals and agencies and as we walked and interacted with others we could feel our braids being pulled. I thought it was funny. One of the doctors we were working with even asked us to braid his hair and his dad asked us so many questions about having an afro. lol. So many people came up to us and said they wished they had afro hair because it was so unique. 

Another thing I encountered was people, especially little children there just walking up to us and touching our skin. On a daily basis we had children following us around trying to get close to us. Some were even darker than us but we found out that they wanted to touch our skin because they thought it was beautiful. Who would have thunk it. lol. Many people stared at us because they had never seen a Black person before. All around interesting but I really don't mind people touching my hair in it's natural state. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • FabbiegirlFabbiegirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chescam, interesting experience.  I have heard others say the same thing when they have traveled.  
  • TNMurrayTNMurray member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Interesting article, I was natural for 7 years but never had anyone ask to touch my hair. I was probably in that first big wave of people going natural so I got all the questions, like why would u do that. My white college roommates were always amazed. Although I am not natural any more my coworkers are amazed at how much I change up me hair.
  • wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Interesting article.  I admire those that can go natural. Not for me though
  • edited December 2011
    I admire it too. I just dont think I can do it... not for me... I know it is horrible but I need a perm!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have had that happen to me. I either wear my hair in two-strand twists or an afro puff most of the time. Once when I was wearing my hair in an afro puff an intern on my job asked if she could touch my hair, I politely declined. My fellow co-workers thought the whole thing was creepy. I'm the only AA in my department. I explained that some people are fascinated by AA women without chemically treated hair. But I refuse to be petted like an animal at the zoo.
  • edited December 2011
    People touch my hair too, I have mixed feelings about it. When my MIL touched it and said I can't believe how soft it actually is I thought it was hard and crunchy...well that didn't exactly make me feel good. I think what bothers me the most is after my BC my students were devestated they kept saying but why would you cut off your relaxer, why???? Like I had maimed myself. I din't go natural for any reason except saving money and wanting a new look but still that made me feel kinda sad.
    If you were coming in the fall I'd brush the summer by...Emily Dickinson imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    That was an interesting article, but I disagree with one of the statements about people wanting to possess black women and blah blah blah.  Maybe I'm just simple minded, but I think that's going a little too deep into it.  I chalk it up to honest to god curiosity.  I've been in situations where I was the only black person and I can't tell you how many conversations I've had with white girls about the black hair process.  This was before I went natural so I had to explain what it meant to get a relaxer and all that stuff.  I've never been offended when someone wants to touch my hair because they really just don't know what the texture is like, but it does get a little old after a while.  
  • edited December 2011
    I've had this happen also when I first went natural..also got the questions from family (mostly men) asking "why" I would do that to my hair lol my response was always...do what exactly? But yeah folks asked to touch it and I got the standard, oh its soft response, didn't bother me. Now that I'm locked I get just as much curiosity with folks wanting to touch my hair and being "amazed" lol I look at it as a chance to educate
    Wedding Countdown Ticker www.derilandtekoah.com
  • empeguesempegues member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_interesting-article-black-hair-cnncom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:cce9533a-2299-49a5-8619-c938629d293dPost:857e3501-2ab5-4a8c-a02c-79d416b45a9b">Re: Interesting Article about Black Hair on CNN.com</a>:
    [QUOTE]That was an interesting article, but I disagree with one of the statements about people wanting to possess black women and blah blah blah.  Maybe I'm just simple minded, but I think that's going a little too deep into it.  <strong>I chalk it up to honest to god curiosity. </strong> I've been in situations where I was the only black person and I can't tell you how many conversations I've had with white girls about the black hair process.  This was before I went natural so I had to explain what it meant to get a relaxer and all that stuff.  I've never been offended when someone wants to touch my hair because they really just don't know what the texture is like, but it does get a little old after a while.  
    Posted by kiyamurph[/QUOTE]

This... Me and my sisters are all mixed and I'm the only one out of the bunch who got "white girl hair" as my family puts it.  The first time I met FI's family, they just couldn't understand it, lol.  They had all the questions too (did I need a perm, can I put grease in it, etc.). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards