Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

What's a Groom's Cake? What's the Point?

2»

Re: What's a Groom's Cake? What's the Point?

• edited December 2011
    My husband was such a sweetheart through all the planning that I made darn sure we had a dessert that really represented his tastes.  Instead of a groom's cake, we had groom's pies.  Like, nine of them.  He's a pie man, so his favorite flavors were featured prominently on our dessert buffet.  And it turned out a lot of our guests like pie more than cake, so that worked out pretty well.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." -Lester Banks, Almost Famous
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think spending a lot of $$ on a groom's cake is ridiculous- think about it- the wedding day is basically about the BRIDE- why not splurge a little bit on something that's about the GROOM?! Lighten up ladies!
    Anniversary
  • kmf+ksrkmf+ksr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have never been to a wedding where the groom had his own cake. The way I have always seen it done, is the groom will pick out a cake (usually very crazy and unique) for the rehearsal dinner. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm pretty sure I've never been to a wedding where there hasn't been a groom's cake, but I am from Texas.  I was actually surprised the first time I heard not everyone did groom's cakes.  I have never heard of having a groom's cake (or any cake for that matter) at a rehearsal dinner, but whatever you want to do is what you should do.  It's y'all's day (or 2) after all!  I was also under the impression that the groom's parents pay for the groom's cake since the bride's parents pay for the wedding cake, but, then again, that's a southern tradition, and I realize that a lot of couples foot the bill of the wedding themselves.

As for our wedding, the groom's parents are getting the cake which will probably be hunting related since my fiance is a big time hunter of all game.  It will also be served at the wedding reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We will be having a grooms cake at the reception with it on a seperate table near the wedding cake. Not sure on flavor yet but I do know that since he is a huge Dallas Cowboys fan that I am getting him a Cowboys helmet cake for the grooms cake. It will also match our colors that are navy and silver.
    Photobucket
    April 2012 April siggy challenge: How I relax image
    My Barely There Bio updated 7/12!
  • becgrosebecgrose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's fair the groom's cake gets to have all the fun. We're considering having his & hers cakes.... one will be baseball themed, then other college football themed. We MAY have a very very small traditional cake, but that is undecided. And, just in case it matters to anyone, we are having a very formal wedding with sit down dinner. Some of it should be fun!! Laughing
  • edited December 2011
    being from WI i'd never heard of a groom's cake until i joined The Knot... and FI is from Ireland so he had definitely never heard of it either. we planned the entire wedding together, so he won't need his own cake to showcase his personality. when we designed our cake, we each chose a flavor we liked for the middle and bottom tiers, and then a flavor together for the top tier. that way, we're both represented in the same cake! also, i'm not sure if this is more of a northern thing, but it's pretty common for the wedding cake to be different flavors from just plain vanilla/white. i think the last time i went to a wedding where the cake wasn't chocolate or something flavored was when i was a very little kid. so if you're from an area that doesn't traditionally do groom's cakes then i don't think anyone will be offended if you don't. but do whatever you want, it's your wedding! GL!
  • edited December 2011
    My FH hates cake but wanted something for him, so he's getting several varieties of pie...
  • edited December 2011

Interesting posts..I'd always heard of the groom's cake but never quite understood it either.  We did not have one, as my husband doesn't like cake anyways.  But our regular wedding cake had different flavors(which seems to be very common now) rather than just white anyways.  Interesting about the wedding cake being the "bride's cake".  I'd never heard of that...always just thought of it as the couple's wedding cake.

Photobucket OMG...I'm MARRIED! :)
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My DH wanted our cake from a bakery that was going to charge $250 for delivery and we decided not to pay that so I surprised him with a 12 inch round cake shaped like a basketball from that bakery in the flavors he wanted.  It was just extra cake, but like pps have said, it reflected his personality (he loves basketball) and was a way for me to surprise him with the cake he really wanted..
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_whats-grooms-cake-whats-point?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:c75a3495-3625-4d56-8c52-6a9ccd149447Post:193ed0af-234d-47ff-afeb-714d5fc486e6">Re: What's a Groom's Cake? What's the Point?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Being from the south, I've seen these at nearly every wedding I've been too.  It is traditionally a gift from the bride to the groom.  Tradition also dictates that you aren't supposed to serve it at the reception, but slice it and give it as favors to your guests.  Single girls then slip it under their pillow with hopes of dreaming of their future husbands!  We are giving ours away as a favor so it knocks out the groomscake and favor in one!  I'm also attaching the tradition of the groomscake story!
    Posted by mlhubbard[/QUOTE]

Super cute idea! 
    White Knot
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_whats-grooms-cake-whats-point?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:c75a3495-3625-4d56-8c52-6a9ccd149447Post:bec2342e-c014-417a-9be9-013523efacb2">Re: What's a Groom's Cake? What's the Point?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with all the ladies. since WE pretty much get the cake that we want for our wedding, the grooms cake usually represents something that HE likes... I am planning on getting a grooms cake(budget permitting of course). We LOVE the show FRIENDS and for his grooms cake I want to get 1 lobster playing the guitar (which my fiance plays) and a cute chick lobster rockin out next to him... If you watch Friends you'll understand the "lobster" reference...
    Posted by tina_csi_10[/QUOTE]

<strong>Please</strong> tell me you'll be cutting your cake to "Rock Lobster"!  And yes, I loved that on Friends as well.  My friends and I always say "he's your lobster" now.
    White Knot
  • edited December 2011

Joining the Knot has been a really eye opening experience. I had no idea that there were weddings where people didn't have groom's cakes, or wedding pulls, or money dances...

Instead of going Wedding Cake/ Groom's Cake, we're doing Traditional Cake/ Our Cake. The traditional cake will be more formal and wedding-cake flavored. The the fun cake (which will look totally out of place, lol) is going to have all of our favorite video game characters, since we've both played video games since we were itty bitty. The flavors are most likely going to be alternating layers of strawberry and chocolate cake.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
    bridesmaids-2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting married on opening weekend of deer season.  FH is a huge hunter (didn't realize this when we picked the date.)  I refused to do a camo wedding or anything that has to do with hunting but I am doing a surpise deer cake for him. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_whats-grooms-cake-whats-point?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:c75a3495-3625-4d56-8c52-6a9ccd149447Post:7cb8e7e6-6ae3-484e-8ef9-80dc7a2d2513">Re: What's a Groom's Cake? What's the Point?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's a Groom's Cake? What's the Point? : Well, most of us don't plan our wedding as if it's all about the BRIDE.  So, we just didn't see a need to do one.  No one said they were stupid and awful and no one should ever have one. We don't need to lighten up, but you may want to check into growing up.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

I've actually encountered a lot of brides here who couldn't give a damn about what the groom wants, and if you read up from my post on this topic, you might see the same thing- which it why I said lighten up ladies. Don't take things so personal.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry, bad day, I guess I should know better that sometimes something may read a certain way but wasn't meant to be hateful. Have a good one Stagemanager.
    Anniversary
  • bdawnbbdawnb member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I don't know...when I got married  a thousand years ago it was simply a way to have another flavor of cake at the reception.  They have gotten fancier and more decorated over time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards