Indiana
Options

FMIL crying at shower (long post!)

actually, she's been crying a lot lately.

i've know FMIL longer than i've actually known FI, we've always gotten along but never been like super-close, she knows my mom pretty well and that's about all the relationship i had with her before FI and I got engaged. FI and I are both firstborns and while my parents have no problem letting me go (i'm 21, have spent about a year on my own in the past, i'm just living with them now until the wedding cause we're old-fashioned like that lol) but his mom is really having a hard time letting her firstborn go.

I posted this in the indiana board, hoping maybe someone could relate. His family is actually mennonite, his mom was raised mennonite (a branch off the amish) but all her sisters except one left it for the most part as they grew up. that being said, FMIL still wears skirts, a headcovering and she has three daughters who wear skirts all the time (except for the oldest who is 17 and likes to sneak out the house and actually cut her hair which was a huge deal). They are very close knit, live in the country, don't have hardly any interaction with other people and modern society in general.

my family is in no way, shape or form mennonite at all! we moved here from texas in 1998. i wear pants and makeup and my hair is cut and time and time again she has told me that they accept me for who i am which i am thankful for, because that did worry me for a while. but, his two oldest sisters are bridesmaids and we had picked out dresses (all my BMs are wearing different styles, but the same material) that we thought would meet their standards of modesty, but they didn't apparently and now they are having their dresses made!  which has been awkward and stressful and has caused some fighting between the sisters and their mom but they have made it clear that it isn't because of me.

that being said, FI moved out into our future apartmen back in december. and that crushed his mom. i think she took it as a personal insult that he wanted to be on his own. i can understand  being a little sad to see your firstborn go, but she was upset to an extreme and literally felt insulted. FI had to convince her that he still loves her (which she said she knew in her head but not in her heart!!!!) because he didn't go over there for dinner one night while i was at work because he had some stuff to do. we go over there for dinner at least 3 times a month (which is more than we eat with my family!) and they have always had a good relationship, and this is why it's blindsiding me so much. i think she always had this idea that as her kids grew up they'd just build little houses next to hers and she could still be as involved (read in control of) their lives as she was before. also, my family lives in town and i think she thinks that since FI lives in town too now that we spend all this time with my family and not them. which is not true. and she is always texting to check on his finances, telling him where he should shop and it was fine at first but now it's just getting annoying. she jumps to conclusions, she actually told him she didn't think i didn't like going over there because we don't spend all this time over there and he had to, sweetly and nicely, remind her that we are adults, we have our own lives and his life no longer revolves around them.

anyway. my MOH is amazing, and had these plans for an amazing shower. FMIL i think was getting offended that she wasn't super involved in the planning for it, she kept texting my mom about it and mom kept telling her to text my MOH, she's in charge. FMIL lives in a world where "kids" (my MOH is 19) aren't in charge of anything, that's what parents do, so she was taken aback and kept texting and calling and bugging my MOH about every little thing. MOH included her in a lot of little things, but FMIL would grill her about stupid little details that MOH clearly had under  control.

my shower was wonderful, everything went well and smoothly. until the end, i noticed FMIL talking to another friend, crying about how hard it is to let FI go. And I'm trying to be understanding, but it always makes me feel guilty and defensive. after that little episode, she was fine and we were talking like normal and we ate dinner out there this past week and that was fine, too, but i'm just waiting as the days get closer she's going to have another breakdown..

so if you read all that, have a gold star! i don't know what i'm asking for, advice maybe? it's almost like she keeps trying to mother me in a lot of ways, but i don't need a mom, i have a mom that i love dearly!! how can i make her feel loved and included without giving in to her controlling and mothering ways?

Re: FMIL crying at shower (long post!)

• Options
    rlytton87rlytton87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To be honest, I would include her , but don't be afraid to (nicely!) say, "actually, FI & I have already decided to do X, but maybe you'd like to help with Y, or what do you think of Z?" You have to be tactful as she's your FMIL & around for the long haul, but at the same time, she's around for the long haul, you also need to set some boundaries so she realizes that you are adults, & have it under control. Start from the beginning with boundaries, or it may never sink in. Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think any talk of boundaries or being adults with your own lives needs to come directly from FI's mouth.  Any issues you guys are having with his mom needs to be dealt with by him.  If it comes from you, then it looks like you're trying to keep FI from his mom.  But if FI tells her, then you guys are a united front and you aren't the bad guy.

You guys are rather young, and FMIL probably just wasn't expecting her son to grow up so quickly, so it's taking her a while to get used to the idea.  It's going to be hard for her, but I think it's something she has to come to terms with on your own.  It's hard for moms to let another woman become the leading female in their son's life.

That being said, I completely relate.  While my FMIL is not nearly as extreme as yours, she always says that we don't visit enough (FI and I are long distance, and he lives 1.5 hours from her).  It's painfully obvious that while she likes me, she would've preferred her son marry a girl from his hometown and move back there forever - preferably right next door, or in the house with her and start procreating ASAP.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't really have any advice to add - rlytton & vicki pretty much covered everything - set your boundaries now and present a united front!

What I can offer is support. My FMIL is not as extreme, but they come from a very, very tiny town in Southern Indiana where they have been for generations. Both of her sons get guilt trips for having moved away (neither more than 2 hours) and FMIL has made it very, very clear that she is disappointed that I have no intention of moving to a more rural area - I'm from Chicago...Indy is about as small as I get!

I will also say, much like your FMIL, mine felt like we are still "kids" (though we are both over 25) and doesn't feel like we are adults or should be treated as such. It took us (again, united front!) being a bit blunt with her in order to earn her respect. She has finally backed off, and things have been able to be more pleasant. I really do like her, but I will not allow anyone in my life to talk down to me. She is going to be a part of my life, so there has to be a happy medium, which means she needs to meet me half way. So far, soo good. Good luck!
  • Options
    Monolayth3Monolayth3 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I Agree with the ladies who posted before me.

Your position is not one I envy. I would just like to offer a word from my experiances. Be very very careful what you say to and about your in laws. Things that sound one way to you in your head may mean somthing entirely diffrent to them.

My family is completely diffrent than my in laws. Drives me crazy. His mother used to be very controlling of all her children. Things are changing since I came around. Just understand that she wants to see her son and probably is completely un aware of how she is coming across.

Have FI gently start with the boundries. At the same time make sure to include her in his life. I think she will settle down after you have children and show her you want her in their lives too.

Thursday, May 5th, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Ask me stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards