Wedding Etiquette Forum

Cooking question and other random thoughts

Hi! So first things first, I made homemade tortillas on Monday night but didn't have time to cook them all. How long would the dough stay good? Should I throw it out? Freeze it? Cook them and keep them in the freezer? They were very good by the way, thanks for asking.

I really want to start a garden this weekend, but I have been saying that for the past few weekends, so we will see how that goes.

Now your turn. Tell me things.

Re: Cooking question and other random thoughts

• I have no idea how long tortilla dough stays good, and I applaud your culinary bravery.  There's a reason why I just buy the ones in the package.

I've been shamelessly checking my university's cancellations page all day.  The snow keeps coming on and off, and I am really hoping that tonight I can just stay in with H, my homework, and the crockpot pulled pork.  That evening sound way better than driving out to class until 10 PM.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I would just freeze them.

I'm excited about your garden! Gardening is fun! I have lots of seedlings right now that I am very excited about.

What are you going to grow?
  • I'm totally impressed that you made your own tortillas.  Were they flour or corn?  I would imagine you could freeze the dough (masa?), but you could also just make the tortillas then freeze those.  I know it defeats the purpose of FRESH tortillas, but still.  I'm WAY jealous because there is ZERO mexican food here in the UK, and I really miss it.   
    DSC_9275
  • I hope your class gets cancelled Bay!

I'm not sure what I am going to grow yet Anna. I guess whatever I can. I have heard tomatoes, peppers, and onions grow really good around here, so I will probably start with that. I really want to grow carrots and potato's, but I will have to check if I am able to in my area. I also want to fix the sprinklers in the garden area around the wall so I can grow some pretty stuff too.
  • I know tomatoes and peppers like heat, so you are probably right about those. I think basil likes a lot of heat too, so I hope you like pesto. You could also probably do lots of squash, stuff like zuchinni and your fav spaghetti squash. 
  • http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/05/homemade-flour-tortillas/

This is the recipe I used, and they were so easy. I subbed butter for the lard and they came out really good! And really super easy.
  • hi all!
    I feel like a super bad cat mom right now.  I'm taking my Fatty in to the vet in an hour to get some bloodwork done, he's been on portion control, and seems to be still gaining weight.  He's got to be 22 pounds or more.  so I was just brushing him and noticed an open sore on his back.  Poor thing.  I'm thinking he's diabetic.  They checked him before and said he wasn't, but I feel bad that I dont know how long he's had this sore.  Good thing I already had the appt.

Photobucket
  • I LOVE ZUCCHINI AND SPAGHETTI SQUASH. Oh man I hope I can plant those. I love pesto too. Nom nom. Now I'm hungry.
  • Also, Shan, you should buy some lard for next time you make tortillas. It's glorious. 
  • I would either freeze them or ship the extras to me so I can just eat them like a snack. I love tortilla shells.

I gave in to my month or more long craving for Chipotle today at lunch. It was delicious.
  • Yay for starting a garden! It's such a fun and rewarding hobby. 

Avion, I feel for you on the no Mexican food. I spent most of my summer in Spain last year and we only found one Mexican restaurant and the food was awful! 
  • I am about to go on my break, but Anna, do you buy your seeds online? Or do you go to the store? Where should I buy my seeds and junk for my new garden is basically the question I am trying to get out. :)
  • Rach, do you want a salad with greens or just any kind of salad? When I had knotties over for brunch I had a salad with cherry tomatoes, artichokes, kalamata olives, fresh mozzarella (feta would also be good), cucumber, and basil, dressed with lemon juice and olive oil. It was really easy and I thought really good (although people who were there can correct me if I'm mistaken).
  • Shan, I buy my seeds from rareseeds.com. I think the company name is Baker Creek. They are all organic and heirloom seeds. I got containers from Home Depot and made some myself from soda bottles and wine boxes. I'm really picky about soil so I got that at a specialty store around here. 
  • Shan, that tortilla recipe looks delicious and easy.  Thanks for sharing.  I am jumping on the jealous of your garden plans train.  I used to have a fabulous garden many moons ago but where we live now does not work for a large garden.  Maybe I could container garden this year. 
  • Ski, I live in an apartment and only have a small container garden on my balcony. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cooking-question-and-other-random-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c087c565-0dbd-4b59-a98a-cc04b4a82b51Post:a71bd24c-dbde-4550-adea-556c5e153b45">Re: Cooking question and other random thoughts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ski, I live in an apartment and only have a small container garden on my balcony. 
    Posted by annakb8[/QUOTE]

Do tell, what do you grow?
  • Well, this is my first time doing it, so I'm only starting out and I'm not sure everything will work, but I'm going to try and grow a lot of things including:

Herbs (basil, parsley, thyme, oregano, cilantro)
    Garlic
    Strawberries
    Blueberries
    Carrots
    Parsnips
    Three varieties of tomato
    Two varieties of cauliflower
    eggplant
    zucchini
    yellow summer squash
    butternut squash
    spaghetti squash
    Broccoli
    Brussels sprouts
    kale
    lettuce
    spinach 
    arugula
    garlic
    cucumbers
    green beans

And I think that's all. I am probably being overly ambitious, but oh well. I just want to try it all and see how it works out. So far so good.  
  • Anna that is incredible.  You inspire me to try and plant maybe 4-5 things to start.

Tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, broccoli, and cucumbers.  I would love to try potatoes but not sure how that would work in a container garden.  Fresh, new potatoes are the best.
  • That's quite the impressive list Anna. I don't think my dad has that many different things in his garden in the backyard.
  • Wow Anna! That all sounds so awesome.
  • We eat a lot of vegetables in my house, and they are expensive. I don't really expect to grow all of these things successfully, but damn it I'm going to try. 

Ski, I've seen stuff on pinterest for growing potatoes in a container. Things like building a tower out of tires and stuff like that. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cooking-question-and-other-random-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c087c565-0dbd-4b59-a98a-cc04b4a82b51Post:758f0dbc-48e4-4e9b-96c7-628685f0a905">Re: Cooking question and other random thoughts</a>:
    [QUOTE]We eat a lot of vegetables in my house, and they are expensive. I don't really expect to grow all of these things successfully, but damn it I'm going to try.  Ski, I've seen stuff on pinterest for growing potatoes in a container. <strong>Things like building a tower out of tires and stuff like that. </strong>
    Posted by annakb8[/QUOTE]

Yup, I've seen that and like, barrels and whatnot.
  • Not really, LTB. I think lettuce has a relatively short growing season though, it gets to hot for it here in the middle of summer. Maybe that was part of the problem? I know my mom has had trouble growing it in Florida, it gets really bitter. 
  • I pretty much kill all plants i've tried to grow, so I just stopped trying .

I'm just sad Davey Jones died.  

That's all I've got

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I miss our garden.  I was hoping we'd have time to get another one going after the wedding, but it never happened.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Thanks for sharing that website Anna! My seeds are on their way :) I bought

Carrots
    Cucumbers
    Zucchini
    Spaghetti Squash
    Lettuce
    Basil
    Snap Peas
    2 types of daisys

I am so stinking excited.
  • So, possibly flameful, but who is Davey Jones? Because all I can think of is the pirate.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cooking-question-and-other-random-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c087c565-0dbd-4b59-a98a-cc04b4a82b51Post:e6bcdff1-c95f-4ec3-9caa-e418dc155d76">Re: Cooking question and other random thoughts</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, possibly flameful, but who is Davey Jones? Because all I can think of is the pirate.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

<div>From the Monkees</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cooking-question-and-other-random-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c087c565-0dbd-4b59-a98a-cc04b4a82b51Post:e6bcdff1-c95f-4ec3-9caa-e418dc155d76">Re: Cooking question and other random thoughts</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, possibly flameful, but who is Davey Jones? Because all I can think of is the pirate.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

LOL.  Davy Jones was in the band The Monkees.  I didn't know he died though.  That's sad. 

Also, I'm super jealous of the gardening plans - I'm really hoping to start a garden when we buy a house (and maybe I'll even try a few things on my balcony!)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards