Snarky Brides
Options

How bitchy am I being? Long, sorry.

My FBIL will be 35 in September. He cannot hold a job or an apartment. He's fun, but he's very immature. In November, he could no longer afford his rent and moved in with my FMIL and FFIL. His two cats moved in with me and FI for a week before I couldn't stand them anymore, and they moved out to the FIL's house too.

He lived at their house until two weeks ago when FFIL kicked him out. He is currently jobless and homeless. All of his stuff is in our garage, and his cats are back. He had been crashing with a friend, and he's been out of town helping a friend build a cabin, so having a place in town hasn't been a big deal. He tried to get us to let him stay here this past weekend, but we weren't in town (and FI isn't ever in town, he's away at an internship, so it's just me).

He left again today to go work on the cabin, but he mentioned wanting to stay here when he gets back. I'm going to be gone again this weekend, and given his history of poor choices, I am very uncomfortable with him staying here without me. I don't even want him staying here when I am here. FI is with me on this. FBIL and I didn't have a chance to really talk about it; he just mentioned it on the way out the door after he stopped by.

I feel like I've already done more than enough to help him. Example: FBIL and FMIL told FFIL that I was the one who crashed FMIL's car when it was really FBIL. Did you follow that? They were afraid FSFIL would kick FBIL out, which happened anyway. Yes, it was a stupid move on their part. So I took the fall for that, and then I let all his shiit move into our garage, and I took in his cats (and I HATE THEM), and then I took care of a dog he was supposed to take care of because he was too irresponsible.

At this point, I feel like I'm just enabling him and FI and I are both uncomfortable with him staying here. He's stolen from FI before. I should add that he is getting $300 a week on unemployment, and that he was employed for most of the 7 months he lived with his parents, and that he had absolutely no bills. He's also getting paid about $100 per day for work on this cabin. There is no reason that he can't get his own place.

So, is it overly bitchy of me to say no, he can't stay here? I'd really like to set a deadline for when all of his stuff has to be out because I'm afraid that it'll be here forever, based on his track record. Is that reasonable or too bitchy? Thanks for reading this far.

Re: How bitchy am I being? Long, sorry.

• Options
    You and FI are on the same page: you're not comfortable with him being at the house, so he doesn't get to crash there. 

It would be different, I think, if FI wanted to let his bro stay there and you were the one saying "no."
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If you and FI both don't want him there, you are not obligated to allow him to stay. I'm so sorry that you are in this awful position! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    If your FI was saying "We should let him stay", then I'd be saying that you 2 need to make some type of compromise.

But since FI is backing you, you both need to tell him he needs to hang his hat elsewhere, because there is just no room at Casa d'Krysti.

Also, I honestly have no sympathy for this guy, and I certainly wouldn't be housing somebody like him. This doesn't sound like it's "new" behavior for him, and he's freaking 35 years old! It's not like he's some 18-year-old kid who got kicked out and needs a little guidance. And it's not like he's a mature adult who's just fallen on some hard times recently. He's a grown-ass man who needs to take responsibility for his actions and his life. Personally, I'd have no qualms directing somebody like him to the local YMCA.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    I'd be changing the locks and not giving him a key. If he wants to access his stuff in the garage, he has to do it when someone is home. When you mooch off of people, you are at their mercy, and you shouldn't expect anything different.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Ditto PPs, don't let him stay if you and FI don't want him to. It makes you uncomfortable and that says it all, you don't have to house someone if you don't like the situation. You're already taking care of his cats, he's mooching off you enough as it is.
  • Options

You are soo not being bitchy at all!  You are looking out for yourself and FI.  You have given more than enough to someone you are not even comfortable around. He has income, he should be able to make other arrangements.  You are in no way obligated to take care of him or put up with his problems.  Even your FI feels the same.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You're not being at all unreasonable.  You've been more than accommodating and he needs people to stop enabling him.  It also wouldn't be unreasonable for your FI to tell FFIL you didn't crash the car.  There's no reason they should get away with blaming a significant other on something your FBIL did.
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone. I feel better about it now. :)
  • Options
    You don't live in Des Moines and he doesn't have reddish brown hair and have a long string of problems with the law, huh?

j/k
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    HA! Missy, I don't live in Des Moines, but the other parts fit pretty well. :) We must share a family member.
  • Options
    Oh, this was no family member - this was the guy who tore up J's car! ;) He lived in a shed (technically) on his parents' property. He's been in jail for a while, but apparently just got out.

Your description of the moochiness made me think of him.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    If I weren't marrying my FI I would swear you are bc that sounds exactly like my FBIL! Ugh! I feel for ya.  It's hard but I try to just be supportive of however my FI wants to handle it.  Its his brother so I always feel like its not my place to bad mouth him - which is REALLY freakin hard!  Luckily we live kinda far so he hasn't tried to live with us...yet.  Hang in there and hopefully he will get his act together!
    BFP#1 10/30/2011,MC 12/4/2011 9w2d,BFP#2 3/6/2012,m/c 4/18/2012 9w1d D&E 4/18/2012 BFP#3 8/12/2012 EDD 4/25/2013 Stick baby!! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Agree he needs to get his act together on his own and needs everyone to stop enabling him.  But I do think that FI should say that to him and not you.  It's his brother.  You wouldn't expect him to say something if it was your brother.
    imageimageVacation Till our honeymoon!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards