Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Underwater disposable camera or iphone underwater case?

Hi everyone! We plan on snorkeling during our honeymoon and I was looking into disposable water cameras but has anyone used an iphone underwater case? I'm scared that it might get damaged if it's not as waterproof as it says. Anyone recommend one for the iphone or a decent disposable? Thanks!

Re: Underwater disposable camera or iphone underwater case?

• Options
    I wouldn't risk ruining the Iphone personally.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ditto PP, I would be way too scared to take my phone underwater, even in a case. What happens if you accidentally drop it in the water? 
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2012
    Underwater disposable all the way.  I'm not in love with my phone and don't care much if applications, etc don't work... but even I wouldn't risk putting it in water.  I do need it to call people!
  • Options
    Kodak makes a great underwater disposable camera that I've used many times. You can get them at Walgreens, CVS, etc for around $10 or less. If you feel like you'd ever use an underwater camera again (maybe on vacation or if you have a pool at home), you can buy cheap waterproof digital cameras on Amazon. I have one I bought a few summers back for around $60.
  • Options
    I've heard Lifelock cases are really good, but haven't personally tried them. We bought a GoPro and plan to take it snorkeling on our trip. I've used it a few times so far & it's great. A little pricey but it does video & still pictures.
  • Options
    We are hoping to honeymoon in the rainforest, so we're probably going to get a waterproof digital camera.  We also go to the beach a lot, and it would be useful there what with the sand and all.  If this is really a one-off thing for you, though, I would go with disposable.  I no instance would I take my phone underwater.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll go with a disposable because we don't go to the beach very often and I have an entire year before I can upgrade my phone so I definitely can't chance ruining it lol.
  • Options
    i bought a waterproof case from olympus for my olympus digital camera. far far far far better than any disposable one. the issue with those is no zoom.flash which are both important for underwater. in this case you get what you pay for-cheap camera, cheap looking pics that aren't so good.

if anything you can buy one of the waterproof bags for your regular camera. id do that before buying a cheap disposable one.

also the ones that are apparently 'waterproof' have a lot of issues.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_underwater-disposable-camera-or-iphone-underwater-case?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:8689131c-6e03-440d-841e-b1ee7a8bff03Post:6a822452-c74b-4e28-b69e-4c622ff2b842">Re: Underwater disposable camera or iphone underwater case?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i bought a waterproof case from olympus for my olympus digital camera. far far far far better than any disposable one. the issue with those is no zoom.flash which are both important for underwater. in this case you get what you pay for-cheap camera, cheap looking pics that aren't so good. if anything you can buy one of the waterproof bags for your regular camera. id do that before buying a cheap disposable one. also the ones that are apparently 'waterproof' have a lot of issues.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

I actually just found a waterproof case for the digital camera that I have and the reviews are pretty good plus it's only $20. I think i'll try that and if for some reason the camera gets damaged it won't be a complete loss for me because it's older and I haven't used it in years. Now I just need to find it :-)  Thanks again!
  • Options
    I agree with everyone that I personally wouldn't do the underwater case for my iphone, but our friend has one and has the most awesome pictures of crabs chasing him underwater and surfing and stuff. But he's crazy like that Lol But they do work apparently.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It's true the waterproof digital cameras have issues.  I wouldn't actually take one underwater.  We're getting one for rain, sand, etc - basically for use in the elements without complete submersion.  OP, read the reviews on amazon before you buy.  It would still suck to ruin a camera underwater (and you may ruin the SD card along with it).  In your case I would still probably go disposable so as to not put the rest of my photos at risk.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards