Honeymoon Discussions

All-Inclusive Poll

I'm posting this out of curiosity...  Feel free to vote and explain your choice.  Thanks ;)

Re: All-Inclusive Poll

• I've only had one experience but I did not like it because of the buffet food.  It was terrible, bordering on inedible.  But the restaurant food (which you had to make reservations in advance for) was great.  Go figure.  Also the drinks were weak.

DH and I both agreed we wouldn't do it again but would fork over the extra cash for food and drink since that's something we enjoy on vacation.
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2009
    I said I hate them, but I meant in the Sandles, Beaches sort of way.

Our HM was at a high end lodge in SA.  Because it was in the bush it was AI.  Not your typical AI though.  Top shelf liquor not watered down, 5 star chef who made your food to order, etc.  It was not the type of AI you would find in most of the Caribbean or Mexico.

edit - DH is also a chef.  Food is really important to him.  You  normally can not find the same quality in the Caribbean/Mexican AI.  Plus most of our fun is trying out different restaurants.  We would hate being 'stuck' at a resort. (I know you can leave, but if you are already paying for the food, why spend the extra money.)

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • My experience with AIs thus far has been very positive, especially the all adult ones.
  • It depends on the type of vacation i want but FI and I are hang out by the pool type of people and our last two vacations have been AI and we have LOVED them

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_inclusive-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:6d56aa04-0dda-4433-821f-14d51d6db511Post:264c59e5-48d0-42a3-9a5b-e181f2b296cc">Re: All-Inclusive Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]My experience with AIs thus far has been very positive, especially the all adult ones.
    Posted by 2xtime[/QUOTE]

This.  I agree that it depends on what type of vacation I'm looking for though. 
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • I voted "Like Them". As much as I love everything being paid for and all set before you even arrive at the resort, the food and the drinks are just not that good. As pp stated the only place where you'll get good food is where you make the reservations for at night.

If we're looking to just relax and soak up the sun on the beach or at the pool, an AI is the way to go. But, even then we end up wandering off the resort in search of better food for a few meals. For our HM we're staying at a resort that only accomodates up to 36 people at a time and our food is included. I doubt it'll be buffet style like it has at some of the AI's I've been to since the chef only has to serve a low number of people. If it is buffet, no biggie, but I just prefer it not to be.
  • If that's the kind of vacay I want then I like them. I've never had an issue with watered down drinks or bad food.

I generally tend to lean towards non-AI though...

• To me, half the fun of vacation is planning stuff *I* want to do. I've done a cruise before and even that was a little too structured for me. I don't like to relax as much as I like to explore on vacation, so sitting at a resort in general is just NMS.

When FI and I went to London and Scotland in August I had a little planner with our days all written out before we went - we got to see the museums and attractions we wanted to and go to restaurants we were interested in on our own schedule. (I know there's no AI vacations for London, but you get my point - that's the kind of vacation I prefer, despite it being sort of exhausting!)

I have gone on group tours, though, which, while more structured, are at least a little more my speed than resorts.

Even if I was into Mexico/Carribean vacations, I'd prefer to explore. (No offense to Mexico - I've been there! - I just don't like lying on the beach.)
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_inclusive-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:6d56aa04-0dda-4433-821f-14d51d6db511Post:00a783cc-98eb-46d0-a898-e08d9fd350f7">Re: All-Inclusive Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]It depends on the type of vacation i want but FI and I are hang out by the pool type of people and our last two vacations have been AI and we have LOVED them
    Posted by adamnkel[/QUOTE]

This is what we're NOT, so AIs do not work for us in any way, shape or form.
  • DH and I thought AI was the way to go... ended up at Exellence P unta Cana, a 5* resort, and our honeymoon was RUINED due to the food at the resort, (which wasn't very good either.) 

Our 4th day in, DH and I just stopped eating completly because everything we ate literally ran through us... and it didn't stop there. (A little TMI, I know.)

We had gone through a travel agent, Liberty Travel, purchased the insurance, and all. We called the agent, looking to come home early, and we couldn't due to cost.

We were in the ER hours after our plane landed in the states.

We filed a report with the insurance company, and got NOTHING back. Very disapointing.

Don't think we'll ever do an AI or go to P unta Cana again....
    spent over $3,000, for a miserable time, and waste of money.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards