Michigan-Detroit
Options

How would you do this?

My father passed away in 2005. It's been very rough for everyone, especially my mom. We have decided to nix any major "memorial"-esque items at the ceremony/reception.

My mom mentioned going to the cemetery and leaving a flower from my boquet on my dad's grave. The ceremony and cemetery sites are very close and almost equal distance to the reception hall.

Would you go before the ceremony? (for the alone time with just the mom, sans groom)
After the ceremony? (with the groom)

Re: How would you do this?

• Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When will you be doing your pictures?  Because you won't want to rush through your pictures nor will you want to rush that private moment at the cemetary.
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

Either of those ideas are lovely. If they are close together you could do it either time.

emarston: LOVE the siggy pic! Go MSU!

• Options
    edited December 2011

What a nice idea to honor your dad. I would say go with your mom and your FI. He's now a part of your life and if it were me, I would want FI to share something like that.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree I would go with your FI, I would definately want to include my FI in something like that.  And eventhough I don't know yours, I'm sure he would love to be involved with that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would def bring FI along. Wow, I'm not sure if I would go before or after the ceremony. hmmmm.I would say..before. But I would make sure my make-up artist had time to touch me up b/c I'm a cry baby and would be a mess.
    That will be a beautiful moment for you, mom and FI to honor your day :).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That sounds like a beautiful way to honor your Dad. I would be inclined to go after the ceremony because I know I would be very emotional and I'd like to have FI there for support. Its up to you whatever feels right for you and your family.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My vote is for after the ceremony so your (then!) Husband can be with you.
  • Options
    klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    would you consider taking a picture or two with your fiance and your father's grave? maybe that sounds a bit morbid... but personally, i find it relaxing to visit my grandmothers grave. (i hope i dont sound like a freak-show lol)
  • Options
    Lakerchic7272Lakerchic7272 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is a really tough situation but a great idea on your mothers part.  I think I would go alone with your mother before hand to calm your nerves and talk with your dad before.  I think it would be great after, but after is a time of celebration, versus before you and your mother can "talk" to your dad and it can be the replacement of him walking you down the isle.

But I totally agree with pp. do what seems right for your family.
    My Wedding Bio Updated 4-2-10
    Married August 14th, 2010
    Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can completely sympathize with you.  My dad passed away 12 years ago when I was 15.  FI and I decided that the day of the wedding, after the ceremony and before the reception, him and I are going to go to the cemetary.  We have decided to do some tasteful pictures at the grave to include him in our special day.  I have decided that I will be leaving my bouquet there at his grave (after stealing a couple of flowers from it for scrapbooking!) as a memorial thing for him.  That day is going to be emotional anyway and I'm sure I will be a mess in those pictures (I was hardcore daddy's little girl!), but I personally like the idea of having that memory.  Gives me the feeling that he is a part of our special day.  You have to choose what is best for you.  Good luck!  :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards