New Jersey - South

Reception Sites Not Accepting Credit Cards????

Hello everyone!! I just started to plan a wedding in Southern NJ. I've contacted a few venues about reception and ceremony info. We are looking to get married on the beach and the Flanders Hotel in Ocean City seemed like the perfect fit! While talking with one of their coordinators I was told the DO NOT accept credit cards for any form of payment. I found this a bit odd. Has anyone else run into this instance at other venues?

Thanks!

Re: Reception Sites Not Accepting Credit Cards????

• Northstar1808Northstar1808 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, I haven't run into this problem. Although my venue does accept CCs they do have a surcharge.
  • edited December 2011
    ugh yeah mines doesnt accept credit cards//debit cards either it sucks because i have to go and get the cash out and bring it to him.. ehh
  • edited December 2011
    Mine accepted CC for the initial deposit only.  The 2nd and balance payment have to be cash or check.  I think its because venues got burned when the CC payment would get declined.  Especially with this economy, I wouldn't trust people either!
  • edited December 2011
    Mine accepted credit card for the 2nd deposit...I'm not sure about the 3rd deposit though.  It probably needs to be a cerfified check though, which I know most venues requires since it's such a large amount of money and they want to be sure the funds are there.
    At sea, heading to Lisbon, Portugal Anniversary
  • angel33284angel33284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's because credit card companies charge 3% to handle the transaction. On a $15000 reception hall that's a big chunk of change.

They also probably don't want people trying to reverse charges because they aren't happy with something. You, and they, how brides can get. Brides come on here and give reception halls bad reviews because they doorman looked at them the wrong way.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-new-jersey_reception-sites-not-accepting-credit-cards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:128Discussion:8133ef5a-4d69-4877-8efb-e1569aa2e103Post:c6de8966-26c1-491e-a7c6-1307e9d2cf2d">Reception Sites Not Accepting Credit Cards????</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello everyone!! I just started to plan a wedding in Southern NJ. I've contacted a few venues about reception and ceremony info. We are looking to get married on the beach and the Flanders Hotel in Ocean City seemed like the perfect fit! While talking with one of their coordinators I was told the DO NOT accept credit cards for any form of payment. I found this a bit odd. Has anyone else run into this instance at other venues? Thanks!
    Posted by BoldHart[/QUOTE]

My venue accepts credit cards but charges an additional processing fee for it.  I would have loved to charge most of the wedding (and then paid it off that same day so I wouldn't pay interest) and then got more frequent flyer miles......but no way was I going to pay a processing fee.
  • ShacheShache member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When my sister was getting married a few years ago, it was the same thing. They accepted cc payment for her first payment but then she had to pay by cash or check for all other payments. 

I have just started planning my wedding, so I don't know what we will run into now, but from the other responses it sounds like it hasn't changed much.  I really wish they would cause that is a whole lot of frequent flyer miles, especially since Mastercard and Continental are having double miles for anything purchased between now and the end of year!
  • edited December 2011
    Mine doesn't accept CC only cash or check. I would have loved to use my card to get the points but they made it very clear to us they don't accept them.
  • edited December 2011
    Mine doesnt accept credit cards either. Not for any of the payments. Most of my vendors only allow it for the deposit. They all said the CC transaction fee anywhere from 3-5% is why they dont allow it.

I would have also loved to have gotten miles on my credit card!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My venue accepted credit and debit card. My florist no longer accepts CC for deposits. She stated it had something to do with the new CC laws and rendering services within a certain period of time. Definitely something to look into if you want to pay with a CC. I don't have one so I never bothered looking.
    If you want solid proof of payment in case something goes awry, pay with a check. I haven't met a vendor that doesn't accept checks.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    imageimage
  • BoldHartBoldHart member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

thanks for all the info girls! I live in CA now and everyone out here said the idea of a vendor NOT accepting a CC was outrageous. Glad to know that may just be the norm on the East Coast

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards