Texas-Houston

Day of Coordinator vs. Wedding Planner

I am getting married next April and have done (and don't mind doing) some of the leg work already in terms of planning and booking vendors. I know, though, that I will definitely need a "day of coordinator". My dilemma is that the cost of "day of coordinators" seems to be so much higher than I would've expected for the duties involved (lining people up, making sure vendors arrive on time, etc.). The lowest bid I've received thus far is about $1200. I haven't shopped wedding planners seeing as I didn't think I needed one. However, I'm starting to wonder if it's more economical to invest in a wedding planner, assuming the day of coordination is included, than pay so much money for a one day service.

Thoughts...

Re: Day of Coordinator vs. Wedding Planner

• jobie02jobie02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would work with a coordinator if you have a vision and idea about what you want and can do the legwork yourself.  To me, a planner is for someone who wants a "turn key" wedding and someone else has too much input and control over what your day will be!!!

Also, $1,200 is not bad.  These coordinators can often pay for themselves because they have vendors they work with all of the time and they can get a better price than if you or I were to engage a vendor for a one time service!

• sweet__peasweet__pea member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A wedding planner will most definitely save you money, but more importantly your sanity during the planning process.  A coordinator is there to take over the day.  $1200 is not a bad price for all the work that is involved.  Of course, it depends from planner to planner what all will be involved in "Day Of" packages.  I've seen some planners charging anywhere from $400 -$700 and they're work shows for that price.  A reputable coordinator will ensure all details are taken care of.  Many ppl don't realize just what all a coordinator is doing during the wedding; it's not just handling rehearsal, telling people when do proceed down the aisle and make sure your timeline is executed.  There is so much more, things that you don't see, and it's meant that way.

IMO, a planner is a much better recommendation, saving you your sanity, ensuring you hire reputable wedding professionals and be a wedding shoulder to cry on!  :)  I hope this info helps you!
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, day-of for 1200?  I haven't looked into them much myself, but some of the other vendors we've looked at (like DJs...JM Productions) have an option of adding it to their services, starting at $300 and up. 
    edited December 2011
    @LOLA:  DJs are not coordinators.  So if the bride's bustle gets busted, the DJ is going to stop, so he can go re-bustle the bride?  Or will the DJ be at the church to orchestrate the ceremony line-up?

It's 2 different things.  The DJS's version of "coordinating" the event is making a reception timeline only.
  • edited December 2011
    So what all should be included with a "day of coordinator" vs. a wedding planner? I ask because I expected all things to be booked and scheduled by the time the "day of coordinator" came into play and never thought I'd be benefiting from their contacts.
    edited December 2011
    @Monica:  That  will vary from coordinator to coordinator.  I can't speak for others, it's just a matter of meeting with them and see what all they have to offer.
  • jobie02jobie02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My day of has 6 hours of meeting vendors and helping you through the process.  I had a lot of vendors locked down, but the ones I did not have, he is helping handle.

You can expand a "day of" to fit your needs.  I have a smaller package because I don't need a whole lot, but you can have a day of who does much more than "day of"!!
  • edited December 2011
    I have a different opinion about most of these things, so take that as you will.
    I had a very limited budget for my wedding, but with the help of my maid of honor and my mom, as well as making sure the dj and the person from the venue you are having it at are on the same page as well as a timeline, we managed just fine.
    I thought I needed a day of coordinator, but truly, $1200 is a nice chunk of change to be able to put down on a house or take on the honeymoon, right? :)
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I did not use a wedding planner/coordinator because I felt like I could use that money better for other things. That said, I did an enormous amount of work and had a lot of planning stress the week prior to the wedding. I'm glad I saved the $1200-$2000 though.  If you choose a very good venue, the sales manager will create a timeline and collect all your table items, favors, etc, and ensure they are brought to the room and set up the way you want. Tthere will be a Captain that will work with the DJ, florist, linens, photographer.etc. to ensure that timeline is followed. We had our reception at the Houstonian and our reception went flawlessly. 

The priest at the church ran through the rehearsal at the wedding, but he was late arriving  on the wedding day and our party seemed to forget what they were supposed to do. Our wedding didn't go  as we had rehearsed. I was a little upset that we had worked so hard to have our parents walk down the aisle with certain songs, but that didn't happen. An usher walked my Mom down the aisle instead of my brother. Nobody really noticed but me and my husband, and I think it only bothered me. It still went beautifully.

A coordinator would have guided that better. I also could have asked an organized friend to do it. You might also consider asking a newly married person to help for a little $. They will know all the important details and will have some empathy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards