Moms and Maids
Options

MOG Dress & Accessory Advice! Thank you!

Well now!  How things change in just 30 days!

A month ago I was so nervous and depressed about how I looked and trying to find a MOG dress, not to mention the costs involved, etc...  (long-term unemployment, possible foreclosure, just stuff that gets in the way of life).  I'm not a oh poor me, wallow in self-pity type person at ALL.  Here was my post if you wish to scroll through my ramblings:

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mog-excited-yet-depressed-need-advice

SO.. in 30 days...  Finances no longer a major problem, no worries about foreclosure, and DH looks to be getting back on payroll in another 30 days.  Plus, I'm back on the weight loss, I'm hoping to hit at least 50 pounds total by September!  My youngest son just left for Basic (he's 23 and in the NG OCP) And the best news in the past 30 days...  In addition to my middle son & FDIL getting married in September.. I have a NEW FDIL with my youngest son who are planning on the Spring of 2013! 

Now... 

I am in love with this MOG dress (MOB is wearing Alfred Angelo in a plum, deep purple gown).  I prefer browns, blacks, rust, and hunter greens. The wedding colors are navy blue & ivory. The way this dress falls looks like it will cover my butt and thighs and also my pot belly if I don't lose that by the wedding in September!  (should I think about one of those body slimmer things?  do others use them?)

http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/Gown-With-Crisscross-Front.aspx?PfId=189660&DeptId=11606&ProductTypeId=1#pr-header-189660__1

I will probably order this dress after I take my measurements. 

I need help looking for a Shawl to wear with this!  I am looking at Ivory, Gold tone.  I found this - but nada, nope, at this price, uh uh:  http://www.shawlsunlimited.com/products/gold_shawl_ix644.html and then did a little bit more searching, and found this:  http://www.overstock.com/Worldstock-Fair-Trade/Silk-Floral-Stars-Batik-Shawl-Indonesia/4068513/product.html

What do y'all think?  Would adding splashes of color to a shawl look okay?  I know the dress has sleeves, but I'm cold all time.  It's 90 out here today, and I've been wearing a sweater!!  I was also thinking about a chunky gold chain necklace (I actually have one from 20 years ago!)

I am so thankful for all of the replies I received the last time and the positive comments that were left - it helped me get a kick in the patooty and to not feel so bad about how I would look!  Fortuntately, even with this dress, I can have my own MIL hem it up to a tea or right below the knee length in case my DH and I ever manage to go out anywhere nice enough to require dressing up!

Thank you!
KH

Re: MOG Dress & Accessory Advice! Thank you!

• Options
    LoveMuffinsLoveMuffins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the dress is gorgeous! and adding a splash of gold color with a shawl would probably be really pretty, as long as it's a soft gold. the term "chunky gold chain" doesn't bring pretty pictures to mind, to be honest, but hopefully you're talking about something different from what's in my head =D
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • Options
    AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome back rainyday, I'm very glad to hear things a going a lot better for you and your DH.

The dress you chose looks gorgeous. 

My mom swears by those body slimmers so definitely grab one up if you think the dress won't cover it.

As for the Shawl, I highly recommend you go over to Etsy.com. They have a millions of handcrafted items that are way cheaper than the shawl you are looking for. Here is one I just typed in Shawl as the key word. 

I think with the color options you are choosing for your dress, splashes of color would look fine.

As for the necklace, it depends. If you are someone who will take off the shawl pretty quickly then the necklace will be fine. If you think you will wear your shawl all night, the necklace isn't really necessary (depending on how chunky it is). 

Hope we can assists you some more. GL!
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That dress is stunning!
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    rAinyDay-Wow! A lot has happened in this last month. Congratulations on the job and the new engagement. This is going to be a very happy year for your family. May God continue to bless you.

The dress you chose is very elegant. I love the neckline, it's very flattering. I actually like the second shawl that you showed us better than the first. I think adding a little pattern and color is a great idea. Plus, it's handwashable. You can wear it with more casual outfits, also. So you will get more use out of it.

I also found another sight with pashminas for $9.95, if you are looking for another choice.    peachcouture.com  There are some beautiful paisley pashimas for $11.95, if you like some pattern.

Best wishes, happy shopping.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I order all my clothes from that place! I absolutely love them! I had also ordered 5 special occasion dresses from there and picked one for the RD. It was ot be my MOB dress, long story, still sick about it so I wont go there :(

When you get the dress, you will be more impressed with it. I looked closely at it, and just for jewlery, I would wait until you actually get it. It has small dots of silver? on it . Not sure if you enlarged it or not. It's good quality at a decent price. Also look for your coupon code to get a discount and sign up for e-mail. You get get codes that way too The shoes they sell are just as great!

The down side? Be prepared to get tons of catalogs from them and the wharehouses they work with. I mean 3 every other week!

The shawl, again wait until the dress arrives.

I am glad you found a dress you like, they have such a great selection!
  • Options
    mandi921vhmandi921vh member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pretty!!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh.. just PISSERS!  I find a dress I immediately adore and at a decent price that is affordable and....

The largest size is a 20. 

Drats, drats and double drats. 

I don't know if I want to risk a 20 - when most all of my pants I buy are 2XL with elastic waist, or a 22. 

Thank you everyone who replied and gave ideas!  I LOVE Paisley - my DH hates it, he refuses to allow paisley in the house, even though I've tried with a bedspread.. LOL.  I did find some shawls on Amazon too priced around 10$.  So those I will keep looking around at.

SO.. now my next question is...  The comments & reviews all have said that the dress runs large - especially in the arms (one big concern, why I've been looking for something with sleeves).  BUT, given that I know a size 20 may be cutting it close - should I even think about ordering a size 20 and hope & pray I can fit into it??? 

I know I will probably also be wearing nylons, they will help smush in my thighs.. *laughing* (I just imagine me wrapped like a mummy - ha ha - before I squish myself into a dress).

Oh - and yeah, I'll probably forego the chunky chain necklace.  I was playing with my dog and her foot got tangled in the thin gold cross necklace I've worn since 1991 the gift from my DH the first Xmas we were together.  So unless DH gets me another chain I probably won't wear one. 

And the sparkles on the dress are in GOLD tone, not silver, hence the gold patterned shawl I was looking for.

Thank you ladies for the replies!  I'll try and get back to check for your ideas/suggestions - but my boss just gave me a HUGE project (video check of over 3800 videos, pain in my butt, but it pays!)!

Thanks again,
    KH
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just looked, 20 is no longer an option for me, if you still have it in your basket it should be available to you.

If you intend to lose more weight you should be able to wear that size? Also, if it is just way too small you can return it and be out shipping, but first orders I beleive are free shipping. So you may be out nothing and if it's a good fit you will be on the owinning end :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For that style of dress, you should order by your bust size, rather than your pants size. It's loose fitting on the bottom, so there will be a little wiggle room there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards