Students

Long engagement...

2»

Re: Long engagement...

•  We have a long engagement. We don't have a wedding date set. I want to graduate first. I'm hoping to graduate next summer. I think it's a smart thing to do because you won't have classes hanging over you head, and have a more stable foundation for your marriage.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm another one in the same situation.  We got engaged in February of this year and are not getting married until August 2012.  I won't graduate from college until June of 2012 and my fiance is being deployed to Afghanistan until May 2012, so we really didn't have much of a choice.  I hate that we have such a long wait - but on the plus side, we'll be able to save enough money to have the wedding we've always dreamed of and enough time that i can DIY almost everything.  I know that in the long run, two years is next to no time at all, so I'm trying to enjoy it while it lasts. =)

The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.
    --Audrey Hepburn

My Bio
  • I'm totally in this position!! My FI are getting married in May 2012 & i totally get the crazy looks :) but, at this point i figure, we have to do what's best for us. Don't feel bad, my FI have been engaged since December 2008...we were high school sweethearts who are waiting to finish up college...FINALLY i'm at the point that i can start getting ideas, then come this winter i'm totally on it! 
    Anniversary
  • If you aren't getting married for years, why even get engaged?  I am not trying to be rude, I just really don't see the point.  To me if you don't have a date for the wedding and you aren't planning the wedding, you are just dating. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • i like how you come on the thread just to put your opinion out there but yet you aren't trying to be rude? you can be engaged and have a long engagement if they love each other enough who cares if they have a four year engagement. being engaged is not all about the party it is about showing that you want to spend the rest of your life with this person to make the commitment and i think that to make that commitment before going away to college has some dedication. i hope you wedding is wonderful as i see it is coming up soon but please don't try to bring other peoples excitement down..
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_long-engagement?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:3ec4a884-9ff8-4e3e-b5ae-e754139caf21Post:5ffdf541-742b-4803-8160-e270c2c8be45">Re: Long engagement...</a>:
    [QUOTE]i<strong> like how you come on the thread just to put your opinion out there but yet you aren't trying to be rude?</strong> you can be engaged and have a long engagement if they love each other enough who cares if they have a four year engagement. being engaged is not all about the party it is about showing that you want to spend the rest of your life with this person to make the commitment and i think that to make that commitment before going away to college has some dedication. i hope you wedding is wonderful as i see it is coming up soon but please don't try to bring other peoples excitement down..
    Posted by amarie96[/QUOTE]

See, it's called an open internet forum, so that is what happens, you read the post and then add your opinion. 

I'm not trying to bring others people excitement down.  That is my opinion.  To me, you need a ring and a date to be engaged. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • a lot of us are finishing up our educations thus the long engagements...
    and by the way, we do have a date and have had one since we got engaged and I (personally) got my ring when he proposed. Our date is May 12, 2012, and i have been looking at things and we have started planning... (if you were talking about me)
    also, know that tp  many of us a long engagement isn't idea, hell i'd love to be married to my FI, we've been together almost 6 yrs, have lived together for 2 yrs, but when your finishing college you have to take on A LOT of debt to be married...

are you even a student? if not, maybe you should stick to your own forum...

-good luck with your wedding plans, hope all goes well.
    Anniversary
  • Long engagement = perfectly fine!!!
    My fiance and I have been together since Oct. of 2003, got engaged in June of 2007, and are finally getting married in June 2011!  4years of engagement, but I wouldn't change it for anything. Once we got engaged we moved in together and we learned ALOT about each other {lol} Last year we decided to buy a house because we were sick of renting and we both wanted a house before the wedding, so we have room to start our family after the wedding . We were going to wait until Dec 2011 because I will graduate then, and I receive a discount at school because my mom works on campus. Well, that discount runs out after Spring semester of next year, so we said no more waiting lol and moved the date up to June 25,2011.

If it weren't for school we would have gotten married soon after the engagement, but the discount I get is 80% off tuition and I COULDN'T let that go!  
    I'm using my summer break right now and getting a lot of things done. We have the Church, reception and photographer booked and working on a DJ. I'm also a do it yourself person, I love making things myself and knowing its what I want. I'm doing all the flowers myself (so i'm cutting out a florist ),  invitations, save the dates , and as much decorations as I can. We are paying for most of it ourselves. 

Back to my point, nothing is wrong with a long engagement. Its not just dating once your engaged, its knowing that there is a wedding in the future  (near or far) and its saying "my fiance " not just boyfriend  when you talk about him now lol  =]    Also the longer you have to plan the better, I think. There are sooooo many websites with ideas out there that are super helpful and if I was rushing I probably wouldn't have been able to find them or probably wouldn't have looked. I have been looking at wedding stuff since we got engaged, so I have so many ideas flowing through my head its crazy but fun!

Here are some great websites definitely worth checking out!

http://www.weddingchichttp://www.weddingchicks.com/ks.com/

Wedding Chicks has a lot of diy, personalized things to print, and templates. Check out the photo save the date cards with the calendar, thats what we are using.

http://diy.wed-central.com/?p=62

http://www.orientaltrading.com/party-themes-and-events/wedding-a1-388560+98-1-0.fltr
    Haven't ordered anything from oriental trading company yet, but there are a lot of cute things on there!

http://www.diybride.com/diy-projects/

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/partyideas.html
    haven't ordered anything from Save on Crafts, but I think they get you with shipping costs.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards