Options

Obtaining Your Marriage License in NC

Below is some helpful information regarding your Marriage License:

NC Marriage License Information:
Things You Will Need In Order To Obtain a Marriage License:
•  Photo ID
•  Birth Certificate

1. Marriage License:

a) Make a trip to the Register of Deeds office in North Carolina, even if it is not in the county where your wedding is taking place. All counties require that both parties be present to apply for the marriage license unless there is a circumstance that does not allow for one of the party to be in attendance–such as being stationed overseas or being in the hospital. In that case, the Register of Deeds Office requires a notarized affidavit of absence be submitted.

2. Bring all necessary documents required by the state. Both parties must have valid photo identification, such as a driver’s license or passport, copies of both birth certificates and divorce papers if either applicant has been divorced less than 60 days. The Clerk of Court will provide you with the marriage license application, which must be filled out in their presence.

3. Pay the fee for a marriage license. The fee as of 2011 is $60. North Carolina does not require a waiting period and your license can be used immediately–but it is valid only for 60 days.

The legal age for marriage in North Carolina is 18. Anyone 16 or 17 years of age must bring their parents with them to apply for a marriage license, as their signature is required on the application. Anyone age 14 or 15 must obtain a court order to be allowed to marry in North Carolina. No one under the age of 14 can legally marry in the state.

There are no justices of the peace in North Carolina.

For the complete set of rules or to contact a magistrate:
*Dare County www.darenc.com/depts/Deeds/marriage.htm or  (252)475-9228.
*Currituck County www.co.currituck.nc.us/Register-of-Deeds.cfm or  (252)232-3297.
*Ocracoke Island www.hyderod.com/ or (252)926-4198.

There must be 2 witnesses to any ceremony whether it is civil or religious.

The job of your officiant, minister or magistrate is to sign your marriage license and return it to the location in which you received it.  This is the official record of your marriage.  Certified copies can be obtained from the Register of Deeds office.

There are several spectacular places on the Outer Banks to get married or “pop the question”.  In addition to a traditional church wedding, other people have used some of these notable places:.

 On Roanoke Island: The Elizabethan Gardens, Fort Raleigh National Historic Site, NC Aquarium on Roanoke Island, Manteo Waterfront, Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse, sound front housing communities

 The North Beaches of Duck & Corolla: The Whalehead Club, The Currituck Lighthouse, large oceanfront homes, a vineyard, hotels and resorts, The Duck Town Park

 Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk: The sunset on Jockeys Ridge State Park, an airplane from the Wright Brothers Memorial, a pier, a gazebo, aboard a large boat or yacht, or at an oceanfront rental home

 If you are thinking of having your ceremony on Hatteras Island or on the beaches at Ocracoke, the National park Service can be contacted at (252)473-2111.  For information on fees and permits required at Cape Hatteras National Seashore:
www.nps.gov/caha/fees.html

Need additional information, call our chamber office at (252)441-8144. 8:30 am – 5:00 pm, Monday-Friday.

Re: Obtaining Your Marriage License in NC

• Options
    I just wanted to add that you should also bring your social security cards. My husband and I were married in Corolla last August and got our marriage license in Manteo. My husband had to have our bank back in Ohio fax proof of his social security number because he didn't have his card on him. It was the only hiccup we had and it all ended up fine in the end!
  • Options
    Thanks for adding that!  :)

• Options
    I am wondering exactly who can marry us?  We are having a friend, very close to us, get ordained online, however when I called the Register of Deeds, she could only tell me that it had to be an ordained minister.  She then added that they have had plenty of "universal" officiants, but could not tell me if the marriage license was recognized.  If anyone can provide some helpful tips on this, it would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_obtaining-your-marriage-license-in-nc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:32efe923-4b3a-4d0f-93c7-e0b6ef05b771Post:cd7ba5ee-e3e5-418c-9ea5-247b1bfd995f">Re: Obtaining Your Marriage License in NC</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am wondering exactly who can marry us?  We are having a friend, very close to us, get ordained online, however when I called the Register of Deeds, she could only tell me that it had to be an ordained minister.  She then added that they have had plenty of "universal" officiants, but could not tell me if the marriage license was recognized.  If anyone can provide some helpful tips on this, it would be greatly appreciated!
    Posted by mltruax85[/QUOTE]

See this post from a few days ago:

<a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_getting-friend-ordained">http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_getting-friend-ordained</a>

• Options
    If you are from a different state and will be getting married in the OBX, NC  do you need to get the marriage license from your home state or from NC? I'm assuming NC but just want to make sure.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_obtaining-your-marriage-license-in-nc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:32efe923-4b3a-4d0f-93c7-e0b6ef05b771Post:cf1ce843-fc9d-4496-bc51-7cc131218a41">Re: Obtaining Your Marriage License in NC</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you are from a different state and will be getting married in the OBX, NC  do you need to get the marriage license from your home state or from NC? I'm assuming NC but just want to make sure.
    Posted by missm810[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>NC</div>
  • Options
    OH, if you don't have your social security card, you can bring your W2 that you get at the end of the year (just make sure your SS# is on it!).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards