Indiana-Indianapolis

The Rathskeller?

Has anyone looked at the Rathskeller as a possible reception site or ever been to a wedding reception there? Any thoughts....

Re: The Rathskeller?

• indyindy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was there for a reception a few years ago. It was a decent place but the parking is a little difficult and it is near Wheeler Mission so it isn't in the best part of town. I feel for the homeless but I know sometimes they can be a bit unbalanced. However the reception area was nice.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the honesty Ladies! I toured a few reception locations on Thursday afternoon and was very disappointed at what I saw overall. I went to the Fountain Square Theater, and the place is absolutely gorgeous! However, they maintain a catering minimum that is completely out of my price range. I looked at the wedding garden and party pavilion at the White River Gardens/Zoo, and was disappointed at the location of the party pavilion. It is right inside of the Zoo's entrance, and there were some smells and sounds that I don't want my wedding to be associated with. Finally, I went to the Walker Theater... The price was right, but the place needs a serious facelift! Whatever money I would save with having the reception there would be put into decorating the place to distract my guests from peeling paint and missing ceiling tiles in their "Grand Ballroom".  I'm becoming seriously discouraged... Any more thoughts on the Rathskeller? Any suggestions on decently priced reception sites (preferably ones that allow outside catering)?
  • indyindy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Don't know about the prices but I think you can bring in a caterer at Community Life Center on Washington St. and at Adaiggos in between Cumberland and Greenfield. Adaiggos has a nice facility and so does Community Life Center. You can always check out American Legion Halls and VFW halls. Of course there is nothing fancy there but it might suit your needs.

• edited December 2011

I actually went to a small bridal show at the Marott on Thursday, and I thought the facilities were beautiful! Unfortunately they are already booked on my date. Also, I thought the food provided by Piper's wasn't very good. It couldn't hold a match to the food passed by Ritz Charles at the Indianapolis Monthly bridal show...

• edited December 2011
    I worked at the Rathskeller all through high school, and depending on your guest list would only really recommend the "upper ballroom" if you decide to go with them.
    I wouldn't use the main ballroom just because of its location. It's on the main floor of the restaurant, next to part of the dining room and on the way to the bar. Also, the only women's restroom is in the ballroom! I was a hostess and many of my Saturday evenings were spent trying to stop wedding crashers! It's just something that's better not to deal with if you have other options--i.e. the upper ballroom.
    In the last couple of years they've started doing weddings in the [former?] Cabaret theater located in the same building.
    They have an entire album of wedding reception pictures on their Facebook page if you want to get a better idea. :)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Oh and since you mentioned the Ritz Charles--I've booked with them at Coxhall Gadens. We haven't done much else than book but when we discussed our budget, they were very willing to work with it!
    Also, when you book at the actual Ritz Charles site, they have really awesome and affordable packages for Friday and Sunday weddings.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I'll be meeting with an event coordinator at the Rathskeller on Friday afternoon. I'm definitely interested in their Upper Ballroom most of all. Their theater looks great too, but I was told that I would have to have 170 adults minimum to rent that space. Thanks for the suggestions Ladies! I still have my fingers crossed for the Fountain Square Theater though! Smile
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting married at the Arts Garden downtown and they really worked with us on the price because our wedding is very small (30 people,including us!) and we are only using the space for our ceremony.  They also use the Ritz Charles as their exclusive caterer...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You must check out the Old National Centre (formerly Murat). It's surprisingly affordable and there are multiple different sites to choose from. Love, love, loved it but decided to go with the Mavris. (my mom thought the Murat was a bit dark... I thought it was full of character)
  • We are getting married in July and have the wedding and reception at the Elks Country Club in west Lafayette... The ground are BEAUTIFUL and the buliding has the old time frrl with out being out dated!!! And you can use outside catering...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've heard Lumiere's resort is nice. My mom's husband makes cakes for friends, and he's delivered there before. So it's worth a shot. It's a gorgeous site.
    Photobucket .:.Marci.:.
    image Of 155 invited:
    image 74 Will rock out the night!
    image 11 Are party poopers!
    image 70 Are procrastinators!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards