New Jersey
Options

Marriage License - UGH!!!

Why is it that the marriage license office is only open 2 days a week from 8:30 - 3:30 and you have to bring a witness?  I live in the middle of nowhere and most of my friends work and are not available on a monday or wednesday to drive at least 1 hour to the middle of nowhere to watch us get our license.  I am going to ask my neighbor (or beg) but its just annoying. 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Marriage License - UGH!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You don't have to go in the town you live in. Would it be easier to go to the town where you are getting married in?
    We went 1st thing when the office opened up and took 15 minutes. Good Luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yea its a pain in the butt and thats the least thing i am looking forward in doing....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I will just suck it up and do it.  The town my wedding is in is even worse because its 2 hours away.  its just one of the things I have to deal with when I live far away from my family and friends.  Luckily I have good neighbors who will hopefully do it for us. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ours allowed us to use one of their staff members as our witness. All of our friends work and weren't going to take time off of work and all of our family is in south jersey.  See if they can give you that option.
  • Options
    mrs.ammamrs.amma member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    ugh! i feel your pain! we just applied for ours on Friday and my FI had to take half a day from work because he works in NY and my MOH very generously offered to leave work a little early to be our witness. And after all that, the whole process was like 10 minutes.
    August 2010 August Siggy Challange!
    Favorite Pic with FI
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea - we have one day in October we're planning on getting our license.  We're already taking the day off cause we'll be coming back from another wedding that morning, so I'm going to make a 2pm appt. so we have it!
    Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was told that we had to apply in the town we lived in.  We also don't have anyone who lives near us so they had one of the employees be our witness, as a PP mentioned.  It is pretty crazy that they are only open for like 2 mins, our town is the same way.  H had to take a long lunch just so we could get it done, its stupid
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_marriage-license-ugh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:c5283450-1cba-429d-a5cc-4f7dffe2c80fPost:3d2f892d-b2cd-4ae1-a454-26668044975f">Re: Marriage License - UGH!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You don't have to go in the town you live in. Would it be easier to go to the town where you are getting married in? We went 1st thing when the office opened up and took 15 minutes. Good Luck.
    Posted by Karma01[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you have to apply for it in the town you live in, unless you don't live in NJ, in which case you apply in the town you're getting married in.  At least this is the info all prior knotties have stated.

The 2 days a week thing definitely sucks.  I was able to get them to make an exception for me since I lived out of state, which would make it difficult for me to be there on a Monday or Wednesday, etc.  I brought my grandma with me. Do you have somoeone who's retired who can go with you? That was easiest for us.  Good luck!
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our lady didnt seem like she was budging at all.  I asked if we could instead go to the bloomingdale office where she is the other days of the week.  She said no.  And she said I had to bring someone who knows us.  I could talk my mom into coming but its a 2 hour drive each way.  If we have to she will do it but I feel so bad.  Hopefully the neighbor comes through.  And I have no vacation from work so i cant take someone with the promise of lunch which is my usual way to con my mom up to help us.  It will get done somehow because 1 month from today i am def getting married. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh, that's annoying.  Good luck!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chelsea is right, if you are a NJ resident, the license has to be obtained in the town you live in.  Here is a link to the brochure:

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards