Snarky Brides

Question

How comfortable would you feel spending $3100 to go to a friends DW? (long time friend, known since highschool, on good terms/no issues with friendship)

More info: Wedding is in March but payment for package is due end of August.

Re: Question

• It depends on your financial status.

We would do it.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • If I had that much discretionary money sure.  At this moment in my life?  Sorry can't make it.
  • Best friend - We'd be there

Just a friend: That's a bit of money.  If it's someplace I'd want to visit anyway, then we'd probably go. otherwise, we'd decline.
  • I think I would try my hardest. It depends on finances obviously. It would also depend on how much notice I got and when it was.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_question-13?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d3c6434e-9765-475c-87a6-b3935d47cda7Post:33ea119e-51d4-47f6-9376-9b6c871bdc1f">Re: Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Best friend - We'd be there Just a friend: That's a bit of money.  If it's someplace I'd want to visit anyway, then we'd probably go. otherwise, we'd decline.
    Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]

<div>This completely.  If you have the $3100 to comfortably spend, and can make a decent vacation out of it, go for it.  If not, I think it's an understandable decline.</div>
  • We'd go if we had time to take a few extra days and extend it into a "vacation" too. I would only do it if it was a close friend of his or mine, and if it was someone that I still stay in touch with.
    And, if we didn't go, I would still send a card/gift.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker < br > Planning Bio
  • reilsreils member
    First Comment
    If it was $3100 total (not per person) we would probably do it. This would also depend on where it is though.
  • Well, we don't have that kind of money, so I wouldn't go. Not for my BFF, not for my own brother. It would be financially impossible.

Assuming we could afford it and not go into debt, it would have to be an absolute best friend or very close family.
  • At this point in our lives we probably wouldn't be able to afford it. 
  • At this point in time that would be impossible for us, no matter if it was family or friend.
  • At this point in time, with our current financial situation, I can't think of a single friend I would be willing to spend that money on.  Maybe if Scott had a job and it was, like, my brother or something.  I would spend that money on my brother.
  • I wouldn't be able to. At all. If we could, I would. I'm assuming it's a destination I'd want to go to too.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_question-13?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d3c6434e-9765-475c-87a6-b3935d47cda7Post:9b1f70d5-d133-4a92-9fb1-a71bb2fdff93">Re: Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]If it was $3100 total (not per person) we would probably do it. This would also depend on where it is though.
    Posted by reils[/QUOTE]

Me too.  That's a lot of money for us.

Bio
    "You wore a tit dress at an AIDS party??? You need to go to the whore corner with Mara " - Blue
  • ConKFA319ConKFA319 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    If it were a family member that I were really close to, possibly, although our checkbooks would take a beating as a response. For a friend? I don't know. That's a lot of money that we don't really have right now.

ETA: I think in either situation, our response would probably be to decline. If you have enough money set aside where you can afford it without having to eat ramen noodles for three months as a result (which would be the case with us, undoubtedly), and it's somewhere you want to go for a vacation, I say go for it.

Where is the DW taking place, out of curiosity?
    Wuppikins loves you!

"Hater-ade is full of disrespectrolytes" - Mehg
  • Right now it would be impossible for us and I would probably feel guilty/sad about not being able to go.

If we had the money and it was a super close friend, then yes.

A non-super close friend would depend on a few things: $3100 per person or total? Do we want to go to this place? Do we have another vacation planned?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • reilsreils member
    First Comment
    So if I am understanding this right, you have to pay 7 months in advance? A lot can change in 7 months. I think that part would bother me. 
  • If I had the funds to do it, I would. If I didn't have the funds, I'd send a nice gift. 

Is there a reason the package has to be paid so far in advance?
    Anniversary
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Its in PuntaCana (did you know that TK thinks "puntaa" is a bad word, cause they do)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_question-13?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d3c6434e-9765-475c-87a6-b3935d47cda7Post:055bfd3b-411a-4cf2-8613-aee12d9cd440">Re: Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Its in PuntaCana (did you know that TK thinks "puntaa" is a bad word, cause they do)
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]
    ahaha.. silly TK.
    Anniversary
  • Yea, I would be a little weirded out that payment is due so early. But, if I could afford it or have time to save for it and if it were a place that we wanted to go, then I would try. At the moment, if we were invited to a DW like that, we wouldn't be able to make it for financial reasons.
  • My best man's sister is getting married in Greece later this year so I'm thinking with airfare, etc. it's probably that amount and from what I've heard they're expecting 20 to 30, so I guess there are definitely people who would spend that much. :-)  I would if it was someone very close to me, but getting off work long enough to make that kind of trip would be the harder thing; if I'm spending that much and going that far I'd want to have enough time off to make a vacation out of it.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Personally, PuntaCana is a place we would love to go anyway, and assuming that the 3100 is the cost for both of us, including airfare, it's a pretty good price. We would consider it. Plus, at least it would afford us plenty of time to save up for the trip (3-4 months-ish), which could theoretically be doable. Even if it wasn't entirely, we could throw it on a credit card and pay off some of it right away with whatever we were able to save over the course of those 3-4 months, so we wouldn't owe a ton on the trip.
    Wuppikins loves you!

• NebbNebb member
    I should add that price is for a 7 night stay and includes flight.
  • Hmmm, price seems good but yea, booking so far in advance would concern me although even if something happened it would stil lbe a good vacation.

• NebbNebb member
    Huh, maybe the deposit is due I dunno - she didnt seem to have a TON of information for me. Just said that peeps gotta pay within 90 days of them accepting the offer.
  • I'm with CS. That's a pretty killer deal.
    Wuppikins loves you!

• NebbNebb member
    Yes, for 2.

The more I think about it though the more I think the 7 day thing is the killer. I dont get a ton of vacay days for the year and that would use up half of them in one shot.
  • This year -- I couldn't do it... gotta save for my own wedding expenses. 
    Next year -- My sister may be getting married, so there's that... but if not, then I would probably try to see if FH and I find enough change in the couches to foot the bill. I actually only think DWs should be for couples who want "less than 10 people" there with them. Now, let's me clarify before people start bickering -- If the bride has 5 siblings and the groom as 3, then obviously more than 10 (parents, SOs, etc.) but I really mean it's a bummer if a couple wants more and more people to come but those guests can't afford it -- the B & G are bummed their loved ones can't witness their marriage and the guests are bummed as well. I know one PP said 20 to 30 people are able to go to Greece for a DW, and that's awesome but honestly... I would feel so bummed if I was invited to a DW (for someone close) because I would LOVE to and try to make it work but I'd probably be spending money I don't have ... and have to eat ramen for 3 months, lol 
  • That's a really good price for 2 people.

I spent $5000 to go to my brothers wedding a few years back with my FI, in Puntaa Cana - and we were required to pay the full amount several months in advance too - which sucked.

I had a great time though, and it was also 7 days. 

I would do it for my best friend, but not for a close friend - and only if I had the money.  I would go for immediate family as well.
    Photobucket
  • I would do it and make a vacation out of it.  I do have an issue with paying for the whole thing so far in advance.  We are last minute vacation planners.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards