Honeymoon Discussions

Yet another Hawaii question

Hi Ladies,

I'm new posting on here... my FI and I are going to Hawaii for our honeymoon in November. I've searched through past Hawaii postings on this board and they've been very helpful.

The travel agent recently sent us some tentative options for our trip.

Option 1:
5 nights at the Royal Lahaina in Maui
4 nights at the Royal Kona on the BI

Option 2:
5 nights at the Royal Lahaina in Maui
4 nights at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach in Oahu

We are leaning towards Option 2, as I've heard the Big Island is very big city-ish, and we're looking for our honeymoon to be a little slower paced. Thoughts?

I looked at reviews for these hotels on Tripadvisor. The only one that had some negative reviews was the Royal Lahaina. Has anyone stayed there? I'm sure I can ask the agent to change resorts for Maui, but realistically, we don't plan to be in the hotel room very often.

Any opinions on anything I've mentioned is greatly appreciated!

OH! Also, I haven't seen this posted yet - any suggestions for golf courses? FI is a huge golfer & we'd like to play at one or two courses.

Thanks,
Kellie
imageCafeMom Tickers BFP#1 6/12/12 EDD 2/11/13 M/MC 8/1/12 D&C 8/6/12 BFP #2 2/14/13 EDD 10/28/13

Re: Yet another Hawaii question

• We booked our honeymoon in Maui. Before we talked to our travel agent I was set on staying at the Outrigger in Oahu because of the great reviews and beautiful pics of the hotel. Once I called the travel agent though she warned us that Oahu would be very crowded and wouldn't have a romantic feel. I've never been so we just went on her word and decided on Maui.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

October 15, 2011
    Officially Mr. & Mrs. Singleton
  • I think you may have confused the islands, Oahu is the island that is the most "city-ish". 
    We didn't want that either and are doing Kauai (Grand Hyatt) and Maui (Four Seasons). 

Good luck planning your honeymoon!
    Photobucket
  • Yes, the Big Island is not big-city at all.  We just spent a week there for our honeymoon (oh how I wish were still there!) and absolutely loved it.  Amazing snorkling, very mellow, super friendly people and some pretty great restaurants. 

We spent one day on Oahu and between the traffic jams, the crowds and the noise, we were so happy to get back to Kona. 

I've never been to Maui but I hear it's kind of a good balance between Oahu and the Big Island.
  • Thanks ladies... guess I've been reading too many random reviews on the internet (while I'm also at work, so I probably didn't devote my full attention where I should have!)... I'm getting myself confused! Sounds like the Big Island is more in line of the type of honeymoon that we'd like.

So has anyone stayed at the Royal Lahaina? Or the Royal Kona? Seems they are part of the same chain and from the reviews on Trip Advisor, there has been some negative feedback in regards to the properties starting to be a little rundown and some customer service issues...
    imageCafeMom Tickers BFP#1 6/12/12 EDD 2/11/13 M/MC 8/1/12 D&C 8/6/12 BFP #2 2/14/13 EDD 10/28/13
  • I totally agree with the previous comment. I lived on Oahu for 8 years, and HI is sooo very dear to my heart. Big Isle is beautiful, but there is something absolutely breathtaking about the north shore of Kauai......  Soo romantic and heavenly. I have never been to a more beautiful spot on this earth..

The hikes, the beaches, the cute fruit stands, the restaurants, the happy hours!! The warm air and water..

Okay sorry. Can you tell I miss it like crazy??!!! :)
  • Maui!!! We loved it! And kellybee, if you haven't been to the Four Seasons there, it is pretty amazing!
  • Moxie27Moxie27 member
    First Comment
    i stayed at the Royal Lahaina in Maui during my honeymoon in June 2007.  At that time, the main tower had recently been renovated.  We had a partial ocean view. 

We really enjoyed our stay at the Royal Lahaina!  It's conveniently located right on kaanapali beach, has a cute tiki bar, an on-site luau (not great, but decent), friendly staff, and the breakfast isn't bad either :)  parking can be difficult at night, but we were always able to find parking...we had to spend an extra minute or two looking for a spot on a couple occasions.

The Royal Lahaina is a great price given it's beachfront location.

Have a great honeymoon!
  • We are going to Kauai (St. Regis Princeville) specifically for the slower pace and golfing and then to Maui (Four Seasons) for entertainment (and more golfing).
    Our TA's Golf Concierge is recommending these courses on those islands (I'm sure there are cheaper or municipal ones, but we wanted the ones with best conditions since we're bringing our own clubs and plan to play twice on each island):

KAUAI: Makai Golf Course (Princeville):  Cost of green fees is $140 plus tax per player..Kauai Lagoons Golf Course:  Cost of green fees is $155 plus tax for guests of the St Regis/$115 per player plus tax after 12noon.  (The course just reopened their ocean section of the course after it was revamped over the last 2 years)MAUI: Wailea Gold Golf Course: Cost of green fees  is $179 plus tax per player before 12:30pm/$135 per player after.Wailea Emerald Golf Course: Cost of green fees is $179 plus tax per player before 12:30pm/$135 per player after..On a side note: FI spent his HM w/Ex-wife at Waikiki and BI....As pp have said, Oahu is known to be busy cosmopolitan.  BI supposedly has a little bit of everything.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_yet-another-hawaii-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:c56f5274-4bf5-4126-933a-dc5531b9b207Post:61a33d71-c627-4df9-9b6e-8c3ac65c7c9e">Re: Yet another Hawaii question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maui!!! We loved it! And kellybee, if you haven't been to the Four Seasons there, it is pretty amazing!
    Posted by MrsChasey[/QUOTE]

Yay!!  I've heard that and I'm beyond excited!  Are there any spots/activities/restaurants you would recommend there?  I've heard one of the restaurants in particular in amazing.  (Can't remember the name at the moment)  
    Photobucket
  • I recommend Oahu over the Big Island. I've only been to Maui, but FI's family have been to Oahu and the Big Island and they were not impressed with the Big Island. They ran out of things to do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I cant give you any reviews because we havent gone yet. We put our HM in th hands of our TA who happened to go to HI 18 times so far. So she came up with the Hyatt Regency in Lahaina for 8 nights, and the Outrigger Reef on Waikiki for 3 nights. She suggested we do Maui first because Oahu is where we will prob do some shopping and we wont have to carry our souveniers and what not to the next island. Im sure wherever you go you will love it! Good luck!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've been to the BI and I can guarantee that you can spend a week there and NOT run out of things to do. FH is also a golf nut. We fully plan on staying a week, golfing, going to the volcano, relaxing, and golfing some more. Plenty to do!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards