Moms and Maids

Maid of Honor and Mother of the Groom..ah!

So my maid of honor is my FI sister. I have been trying for the last 6 months for her and her mom (FI mom) to come shopping for BM dresses and to look for the MOG dress as well since she's walking my FI down the aisle.
Everytime I ask they both say they don't have any money right now. My colors are black, red, and purple. I asked for the BM dress to be black and that the MOG could be any of those three colors.
They don't seem like they want to even start looking. My other BM (who lives 3 hours away) keeps asking me about the dress but I've been wanting to see what my MOH picks out so my BM can have something similar!

I'm getting frustrated. Granted my wedding is in July..am I being too pushy?! I've asked 5 times and everytime the answer is no, no money. I don't even care the style of the freaking basic black dress!

BLAH sorry I needed to vent!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Maid of Honor and Mother of the Groom..ah!

• Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    My suggestion would be to give your bridal party some parameters (such as black, long, satin, strapless) and then let them choose their own dresses.  There are always black dresses for sale at any department store and bridal store.  I would also give them a deadline as to when they must have their dress (maybe a month before the wedding just in case alterations need to be made.  However, if you do give parameters you will need to trust their judgement and let them choose their dress.  There are many brides on here who give parameters but still want to give their approval on the dresses picked...this is not letting your bridal party choose their own dresses, this is the you controlling their choices.

For the MOG...she is an adult and even though she is walking your FI down the aisle you really do not get a say in what she is wearing because she is not in the wedding party.

• edited December 2011
    You are making this more complicated than it needs to be. Find out what the MOH and BM are willing to spend on their dresses. Find a store/designer  that carries dresses in that price range. Decide on a length, color, fabric for the dresses and let the 2 of them choose their own dresses, when they are ready. It's early to be ordering the dresses.

Don't concern yourself with the MOG/MOB dresses. They do not have to match or complement the wedding party or decor.

• ViczaesarViczaesar member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    You don't get to tell the MOG what to wear.  And it's too early to be this panicked about bridesmaid dresses, frankly. 

• slpankuchslpankuch member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Whoa RetreadBride no reason to get hostile. I really don't need your opinion if you're getting defensive.

Anyway, to the rest I guess I was just upset because they don't even care about anything with the wedding. They have no idea where my venue is, my colors, anything. Considerate people ask how wedding planning is going. They really could give two shits.

My other BM is getting married a week before me and we already have my BM dress for her wedding.
    You are right though I won't really care abotu the MOG dress (just one stress I don't need), even though she has poor taste in fashion. Probably will show up in jeans. I'll wait until 2012 to discuss this with my MOH.

Thanks

Wedding Countdown Ticker

edited December 2011
    Thanks Retreated Bride but you have a way of writing that can come off a little rude/harsh. I'm not asking for them to spend $200 on a dress. Just $50.
    The groom is a boy. He doesn't care about dresses!
    Thanks for the responses.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• ahampton27ahampton27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_maid-of-honor-mother-of-groomah?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:69ab4618-2451-4e07-b525-fbc27ab93b7aPost:0a32d02b-32ad-4068-af67-e6317254aa63">Re: Maid of Honor and Mother of the Groom..ah!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whoa RetreadBride  no reason to get hostile. I really don't need your opinion if you're getting defensive. Anyway, to the rest I guess I was just upset because they don't even care about anything with the wedding. They have no idea where my venue is, my colors, anything. <strong>Considerate people ask how wedding planning is going.</strong> They really could give two shits. My other BM is getting married a week before me and we already have my BM dress for her wedding. You are right though I won't really care abotu the MOG dress (just one stress I don't need), even though she has poor taste in fashion. Probably will show up in jeans. I'll wait until 2012 to discuss this with my MOH. Thanks
    Posted by slpankuch[/QUOTE]

Just wait until it gets closer to the wedding and you are sick of EVERY single person you come in contact with asking you this one question. You won't be <em>wanting</em> people to ask it anymore.
    edited December 2011

Hahaha thanks ahampton..I am sure that is true. (:

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards