Canada-Alberta

When's your wedding day?

So Alberta brides.... Whens your wedding day? Are you having your wedding in Alberta? Are you doing any DIY's?

My wedding day is Sept 29th 2012 and I am planning to have my wedding in Calgary even though I reside in Edmonton, it kinda sucks to do all the distance planning! I am doing a bunch of DIY's, I enjoy crafting and it will be a good time spening time with the FI and the bridesmaid doing it all!
Visit The Nest! Anniversary

Re: When's your wedding day?

• edited December 2011
    Ours is Sept 22 in Edmonton. I'm also DIY'ing alot including centerpieces, all decorating (have bought 3/4 of the linen we need), invitations, save the dates, our guest book and favors (pie pops).

Why are you deciding to have the wedding in Calgary?
  • edited December 2011
    OOoo that's thrilling Sept 22nd was the original day we wanted, but the venue was booked!! I actually just moved from Calgary to Edmonton so all of our friends and family are in Calgary... it makes planning super stressful though considering I have a lot of stuff to do and to consider thank god for camara phones and emails lol

What's your theme?
    Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Mine is July 14, 2012 in Edmonton.,  I am doing a few diy things.  My Save the Dates I did on the computer than printed them at London Drugs.  I have bought some of my linens, I will be making my own centre pieces.
  • edited December 2011
    no theme, just clean lines, not frilly, no white (except my hydrenga) just ivory and a lot of crystals, but in a modern way not in a cinderella way

any themes for you ladies?
  • edited December 2011
    sort of like this! minus the white chair covers

• edited December 2011
    I don't have a theme, other than a cololr theme.....lol, which is purple, black, and silver
  • kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    June 22nd, 2012...I'm having my wedding ceremony in GP (home town) with a formal reception in Edmonton (where I live). Details in my planning bio...
  • edited February 2012
    I'm getting married on September 29, 2012 in Stony Plain as we plan to move there late spring/early summer.
    A lot of my wedding is going to be DIY including centerpieces, ribbon roses, invitations, STDs, cupcakes/small cake, guestbook and more!
  • edited December 2011

My wedding is July 28, 2012 in GP, and I will be DIYing as little as possible since I'm not creative haha

• Sydney91Sydney91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine is May 11 2013 near Lloydminster. It will be a Victorian theme (corset and monocle and top hat) with navy, gray, yellow and pink as our colours. We couldn't decide between yellow and pink, so we chose both to avoid a fight. We are tying the not in the same place his parents did, the farm where my MIL grew up (and my future grandad-in-law). Since I am actually allergic to most flowers (not fun to work at a liquor store on summer Saturdays btw), we are picking carnations and daisies so I do not have to be hopped up on allergy meds the entire time.

We are doing our own invitations using Microsoft Office templates and using our favours as place cards. Our favours are homemade saskatoon jam to fit the Victorian theme. 

I found this cake on TK and his grandmother is baking a version of it for us (she has done this before) along with plainly decorated sheet cakes to feed everyone. The tiers on the cake are quite high, so to make baking easier, we are making each tier have a layer of chocolate and a layer of vanilla. This way, nobody can get picky about whether they get choc or vanilla slices; they get both. To make it more personal, we are cutting up the cake and handing them out to our guests, getting a chance to see everyone once more.

My FH wants a fancy affair while I'd be just fine telling people BYOLC (bring your own lawn chair), but I'm from the backwoods. Both my FH and I are only children, so we are having a fancier affair than otherwise we might. I'm not exactly sure how this works, but I suppose it's something along the lines of make a big deal about the only one that will ever happen.

Instead of hiring a caterer or our families confining themselves to the kitchen, we are buying meat from Diamond 7 in Lloydminster (best butcher shop my family has ever dealt with and they will do everything but slice the meat) and buying veggie platters and bread and salads from the Co-op Marketplace (also in Lloydminster). My high school does this for graduation, and the bill comes to about $1000.00 for 300 people. I'm looking at approximately $500-$600 for our 100 people since we also have to buy dessert platters for the cocktail hour (cheesecake and brownies and other squares). His mother offered to cook, but I don't want her and her mother stressing over the food prep when they should be having fun too. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-alberta_whens-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:626Discussion:1a0c1aef-4d40-450d-8bb1-9f2537854765Post:0743743f-0088-41fc-9531-5e7177da1d43">When's your wedding day?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So Alberta brides.... Whens your wedding day? Are you having your wedding in Alberta? Are you doing any DIY's? My wedding day is Sept 29th 2012 and I am planning to have my wedding in Calgary even though I reside in Edmonton, it kinda sucks to do all the distance planning! I am doing a bunch of DIY's, I enjoy crafting and it will be a good time spening time with the FI and the bridesmaid doing it all!
    Posted by Loveyk[/QUOTE]

I totally get the distance planning woes. I'm in Lethbridge, and we're having the wedding in Brooks, where FI is from. August 25th, 2012, and everyone I talk to in that city isn't used to having weddings there apparently, because they think I'm weird for calling them eight months out. Blah. Whatever. We're largely doing a DIY wedding. Invites, centerpieces, flowers, candy bar, the list seems to stretch forever! I'm excited, but it's going to be a lot of work.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-alberta_whens-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:626Discussion:1a0c1aef-4d40-450d-8bb1-9f2537854765Post:7ce8ca18-474f-4093-84da-4ea121626510">Re: When's your wedding day?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to When's your wedding day? :  I totally get the distance planning woes. I'm in Lethbridge, and we're having the wedding in Brooks, where FI is from. August 25th, 2012, and everyone I talk to in that city isn't used to having weddings there apparently, because they think I'm weird for calling them eight months out. Blah. Whatever. We're largely doing a DIY wedding. Invites, centerpieces, flowers, candy bar, the list seems to stretch forever! I'm excited, but it's going to be a lot of work.
    Posted by LittleMissCutiePie[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I sympathize with both of you! Our wedding is going to be in Whitecourt, (most of both families are up there, we both grew up there.) and we're in Edmonton. Our date is June 2 2012. </div>
  • Feeling the long distance woes as well.  Our wedding is Sept 15, 2012 in Canmore, but we're currently living in Houston, Texas.  Lots of AB brides seem to be choosing the fall!  Any other Canmore brides out there?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-alberta_whens-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:626Discussion:1a0c1aef-4d40-450d-8bb1-9f2537854765Post:f0ca388c-33f1-40e3-9240-216ac616e19c">Re: When's your wedding day?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Feeling the long distance woes as well.  Our wedding is Sept 15, 2012 in Canmore, but we're currently living in Houston, Texas.  Lots of AB brides seem to be choosing the fall!  Any other Canmore brides out there?
    Posted by kate+mike[/QUOTE]

We almost chose Canmore. What venue are you doing it at?
  • July 21, 2012 in Edmonton. I'm with most of you doing the long distance planning. FI and I both grew up in Edmonton, but moved to Calgary for work 4 years ago. It's kinda tough doing everything from a distance, but it's forcing me to be organized!

We are doing some DIY... invites, centerpieces, programs, guest book for sure, maybe some other stuff as it comes up :P
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards