Chit Chat

Did anyone take anti-anxiety meds to calm their nerves on the big day?

Ok let me start by saying I am not suggesting or condoning taking prescription meds without a legit prescription from your doctor.  I am just curious if anyone took an anti-anxiety med on their big day to calm their nerves, if so - did it help?
-Linds
BabyFruit Ticker
Anniversary

Re: Did anyone take anti-anxiety meds to calm their nerves on the big day?

• lol. i wonder the same thing! I'd love to hear the responses on this. I think I am going to be so stressed about everything going right that something along those lines might allow me to relax. I might actually recite my vows a lot better too (kind of shy).

• Many don't mix well with booze so even with a prescription, be careful to read the warnings..

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• How about a shot of whiskey instead? Just one though. I personally would prefer this instead of meds. That may calm the nerves :)

• I was nervous, not going to lie.  I had a couple mimosas while getting ready and a glass of wine with my girls right before the ceremony started.  It helped a LOT.
    It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't recommend it. You don't know how your body is going to react and your wedding day is not the time to find out. Also, anything in the benzodiazepine family (Xanax, Valium, Ativan, etc) is addictive and worsens the effects of alcohol.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_did-anyone-anti-anxiety-meds-calm-their-nerves-big-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:4abc5d68-9486-4200-91aa-d0d3e770f2d4Post:248be81e-05de-43de-a9c3-73840e863e42">Re: Did anyone take anti-anxiety meds to calm their nerves on the big day?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't recommend it. You don't know how your body is going to react and your wedding day is not the time to find out. Also, anything in the benzodiazepine family (Xanax, Valium, Ativan, etc) is addictive and worsens the effects of alcohol.
    Posted by colsta[/QUOTE]

I took Xanax once when I was flying.  I fell asleep and woke up 7 hours later when we were landing.  Awesome on the flight, but not so much on your wedding day.  Anyone else ever see "Sixteen Candles"?

I take Cymbalta for my anxiety problems.  The first few days I took it, I vomited almost constantly.  Anti-anxiety drugs are psychotropic drugs, and they're very unpredictable.  PLEASE do not think of taking them unless they've been prescribed to you by a licensed practitioner.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I'm planning on having 1 or 2 glasses of Tequila Sunrise the day of to calm me down.

For everything else, I have a newbie wedding planner. I told her, "If something goes wrong, I don't want my mom, my mother in law, or myself to ever find out. Just try to fix it and even if you can't fix it, I probably won't even notice."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not married yet but i'd probably advise against it. You don't want to have some crazy side effect and end up sleeping during your wedding.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It's funny----as a MOB I have been joking about the same thing------"Anyone know of a good anti-anxiety med that mixes well with alcohol?"  I know firsthand, however, that meds and me do NOT mix well!  I once took the smallest amount of valium just to calm nerves prior to some oral sugery----literally the smallest possible dose----and I don't even remember leaving the house.

My biggest worry/fear is the crying.  I want to enjoy this day---not sob through it!  Typically if I stay busy, that is my best ally.  But there is nothing to do in church but watch-----and sob!!

I thought I saw on a movie/tv show that some bride said if you recited something odd----it was along the lines of icepick/toothpick------it would stop you from crying-----probably pure fiction!

Any realistic tricks tho, would be greatly appreciated!!  If I don't watch the emotional parts of the ceremony----or avoid looking at anyone who is crying---definitely helps-----but then WHATS THE POINT OF GOING AT ALL IF I CAN'T EVEN WATCH MY OWN DAUGHTER MARRY !!!

All suggestions greatly appreciated!
  • Nope. I was nervous, but thankfully I got a lot of my nerves and tears out the night of the RD. I just took a lot of deep breaths, especially while we were sitting at the altar. It really helped me. I think a glass of wine or something to take the edge off is okay, but I am not so sure about prescription drugs. I just know I wouldn't want it to ruin my wedding day by feeling too out of it and loopy.
  • mobkaz - the crying excessively is what I am worried about too - I cry at movies, even at weddings on bridal shows ugh, I am hopeless.  I am worried about hearing "here comes the bride" and crying instantly but someone suggested I burn "here comes the bride" onto CD and listen to it over and over for the next 5 months until the wedding so I am used to it - I am thinking this may help a lot.  I may try the shot/drink before hand, hopefully that will help, who knows.  I just want to enjoy my day and not cry through the whole thing. 
    -Linds
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • I might take a sleeping pill a few nights before but definitely nothing the day of. I've taken ambien in the past with no problem. I work night shift so I'll naturally have trouble sleeping the night or two before even without the wedding jitters! 

Anti-anxiety meds would make most people sleep through their day! There are daily anxiety meds that don't make you sleepy if you had generalized anxiety (doesn't sound like that's your issue). But the type of med you'd take for situational anxiety would not go well with wedding day. 
    Picnik collageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have some in case I need it.  I have anxiety and panic disorder though, so I have a prescription for Ativan anyway.  Ativan doesn't put me to sleep, just calms me down.  Xanax knocks me out! 

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • PiruPiru member
    First Comment
    I was kind of wondering the same thing for FH. He is already on meds to take daily and he has something else to take on a situational basis. I don't notice a difference in his behavior (doesn't seem to make him super tired or anything) but I guess that will be up to him whether he wants to take it or not.

Me, I think a couple glasses of wine will do.
    And if you should die before me, ask if you can take a friend. Pick a flower, close your eyes,and drift away- STP
    June siggy challenge!
  • I didn't read the responses, but I don't think it's necessary.  I have a huge anxiety problem and I thought I was going to be a mess but I had no nerves at all.  I also thought I was going to be a blubbering mess, but I only teared up at the end of saying my vows, and I didn't even shed a tear.  I cried it all out at the rehearsal and was really collected they day of.

If you've never taken anxiety meds before I really don't encourage it.  You don't know how your body will react.  I tried anti-anxiety meds once, had a terrible reaction, and ended up in the hospital.  If that had been my wedding day, what a mess that would have been.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • My doc has me on anxiety meds.  When she first started me on them, she warned me that they might make me sleepy.  yup.  What I'm taking also takes a while to get into your system, and it took a few weeks to start feeling the affect.  I don't think it'd be appropriate for just one day.
  • I'm 99.9% certain my fi will take a beta blocker the day of.  He has a scrip for them and, if it helps him during the day, then they're doing their job.  He takes one before musical performances sometimes and they provide just the measure of calm that he needs. 
  • After reading all the responses I think that for people with real anxiety issues who are familiar with how they react to the drugs, it can be useful.  I don't think anyone else should need them on their wedding day.  Just take a drink instead. 

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • If you don't take anti-anxiety meds at any other time your wedding day is not the day to start.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I would not suggest taking an anti-anxiety drug for the first time on the day of your wedding.  They can have fun side effects like drowsiness and diarrhea... and they may not even work for you. 

Are there other ways you usually relax?  Maybe taking a relaxing bath, doing some yoga, or getting a 30-minute massage? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This thread caught my attention but I was surprised to see all of hte posts about cocktails to calm nerves.  I'd have to agree that they calm nerves, but for me....

HOLY HEATWAVE!!!! Alcohol rasies my body temperature and since I'm already sensitive to and dreading wedding day heat...it would be a disaster for me.  I am just going to rely on deep breahts and ice packs on my neck before I walk down the aisle.

Good luck all!

marie
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_did-anyone-anti-anxiety-meds-calm-their-nerves-big-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:4abc5d68-9486-4200-91aa-d0d3e770f2d4Post:eb2219d3-91ae-4996-a425-94ea960958a0">Re: Did anyone take anti-anxiety meds to calm their nerves on the big day?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you don't take anti-anxiety meds at any other time your wedding day is not the day to start.
    Posted by betrothed123[/QUOTE]

This exactly. 

I thought me or my DH would be nervous the day of, but not at all.  My girlfriends and I turned on some great music, had a mimosa and just laughed all day.  I started to get nervous as I was walking through the hotel, but I took a deep breath and just concentrated on not tripping on my dress.  Once I saw my DH...  I couldn't think about anything else.  I didn't even realize until I saw the pics afterward that the harpist showed up.  I think that the key is to have a great DOC/WP and just enjoy the moment. 
  • Definitely dont take it for the first time on the big day b/c as many others have said you don't know how you will react.  I had horrible stress and anxiety planning my wedding on my own so I did take a small dose of xanax every night before bed in the weeks closest to the wedding (including the night before the wedding) but I didnt take anything on the actual day.  I'd have to say  it really helped me a lot. Its not necessary for everyone, but if your stomach is in nots or you're losing your mind- its worth at least thinking about it
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wasn't nervous at all. I was worried that I would have those jitters, but I was just excited the whole day.  When it came time to walk down the aisle, I kept my eye on DH.  I never thought of anyone else, and I just lived in the moment.  I wanted to remember every detail about that ceremony.  I was nervous about our unrehearsed first dance though.... It was a train wreck lol!
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards