Military Brides

Cat People!!!

So...I just had an incident with the cat where he left me a nice little surprise on his kitty mat outside the litter box where I could easily step in it. Has this happened to anyone? This is my first cat...so I'm not sure if this is something that is going to be a reoccuring issue or if cats just do it sometimes.

Re: Cat People!!!

• Yeah. I've had it happen, although Huck's more likely to pee outside the box than poop outside it. It can be a couple of things. First of all, was the box completely clean when he did it? More often than not they do it because the box isn't up to their cleanliness level. It could also be that he didn't have enough litter in the box to cover the poop. They're weird little creatures about things like that, and sometimes what a person might consider fine, they do not like. 

It could also be that something has happened to upset him. Generally when they poop or pee outside of their box it means they're upset. I'd spend some time with him and clean the box.

If it happens continually, like over a day or so, I'd probably take him to the vet. I know it was poop and not pee, but when cats get kidney infections or bowel problems they can go downhill really fast. 

Don't want to scare you, Huck did it to me this week when I had forgotten to clean the box the day I should have. I'll remember now. :)
  • See, I just cleaned his litter box this morning and refilled it...Idk, he might be upset that he hasn't been getting as much attention as usual for the past 2 days. I've just been really busy and I do feed him and clean his litter box and even bush him as usual but haven't really had some Herbie down time with him. I think I'll definitely try cuddling him and just brushing him some more and see how it goes.

Gosh, cats are just such funky animals. XD
  • The only times I've had it was because they sat wrong on the box. My kitten now has never had an accident because we litter box trained her with a cage. Maybe you could retrain her to use it? Apparently what we did is what you're supposed to do
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_cat-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:dd1549a7-c05f-4f38-95e6-df00b69a1fe3Post:980ee48c-0395-4fe7-8ef0-ea223d994ee6">Re:Cat People!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The only times I've had it was because they sat wrong on the box. My kitten now has never had an accident because we litter box trained her with a cage. Maybe you could retrain her to use it? Apparently what we did is what you're supposed to do
    Posted by Zimsgirl[/QUOTE]

Well, he's an older cat and was trained with one of those litter boxes that let them have "privacy" when doing there business. (basically his litter box is a dome) I think he may have just been crabby and like Divine said, got upset and was basically like, "Yea, that's right. You clean up after me and pay attention" Haha!
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re:Cat People!!!:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:Cat People!!!:The only times I've had it was because they sat wrong on the box. My kitten now has never had an accident because we litter box trained her with a cage. Maybe you could retrain her to use it? Apparently what we did is what you're supposed to doPosted by ZimsgirlWell, he's an older cat and was trained with one of those litter boxes that let them have "privacy" when doing there business. basically his litter box is a dome I think he may have just been crabby and like Divine said, got upset and was basically like, "Yea, that's right. You clean up after me and pay attention" Haha! Posted by Zeldakins[/QUOTE]
    Haha yeah. Our cat has one too so it looks nicer lol
  • Oh I've seen cats and dogs do it. The most blatant I've ever seen was my old roommate's Boston who, when she was gone on a trip (I was dogsitting), really wanted into her bedroom, which I'd kept closed. So, I thought he left a toy in there, and I let him in, I walk into the room, turn around to turn the light on, and BAM, I hear the noise of peeing. On her pillow. It got all into the pillow, the comforter, everything. So I stripped the sheets and washed them, all the while texting her to let her know that Scout was very upset. It's funny now. 
  • The only time Binxy did that was when we had to remove the side barrier thing which keeps them from flinging litter when burying (he couldn't get in it with his surgery cone on his head). So he kept missing and backing his booty too far. So honestly it could've been a complete accident, just a matter of missing the target.
  • My cat has very long hair, and while I try to keep his backside trimmed, sometimes he gets poo stuck in his hair. Then he'll step outside of the box unaware that he has poo stuck, and it will usually fall onto his mat or something. The only time he's ever pooed outside the box was when I was putting a litter odorizing powder in his litter and he hated it. I haven't used that since.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • He did it AGAIN -.-

justdance-  Yea, I have a long haired cat and that happens too, but I'm pretty sure that he's just plopping down and taking a dump on the kitty mat. This just started yesterday, but man it's really grinding my gears. It's just such a pain having to clean it up. :/ C'est la vie though...these things happen when  you have pets.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards