Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Worked for 2 weddings this past weekend - observations

I work on a very part-time basis for The Hitching Company horse drawn carriages in Minneapolis.  I am strictly on-call this summer, and worked for the first time on Saturday.  My reservations for the day were for 2 weddings, back to back.  One was extremely organized and well-done, the other, not so much.

The first wedding was really neat.  It was at a Catholic church in NE Mpls.  The carriage ride was a surprise to the wedding couple from the wedding party.  The bride was SOOOOO surprised.  Even though their ceremony started a little late, we were still able to get in their ride and pictures and everyone had a great time.

The second wedding was CHAOS.  It was in S Mpls near Lake Calhoun.  They seemed to have a wedding planner, but from what I could tell, she wasn't doing a very good job at keeping things running on-time.  We got there with just enough time to unload the carriage and harness the horse, but were told to wait becuase it too was a surprise, but she came out and told us that the priest was late.  So, we waited, and finally started working an hour after our start time.  They also hired 2 limos from 2 different companies to follow the carriage for pictures.  The bride didn't want to pay for a photo permit for the Mpls parks, so we didn't really have anywhere to go.  No one knew what was going on, and the photographer was the most clueless of all.  I don't have the name of the photographer - i kind of think he may have been a family friend.  The planner was someone from Encore Events.  This was my first experience with them, so I'm not sure if that was the norm, but if it is, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.  To me, the whole point of having a planner or coordinator is to avoid that kind of confusion. 

My conclusion after all of this is that it can be really neat to surprise the wedding couple with a carriage ride after the ceremony, but the person trying to coordinate things really needs to know what they are doing.

On a side note - if you are looking for a unique transportation mode in Mpls or St Paul, check out The Hitching Company.

Re: Worked for 2 weddings this past weekend - observations

• jennipea382jennipea382 member
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited August 2012
    That is such a cool surprise from the WP! Thanks for the tips. Just FYI though I would maybe remove the name of the company (or even the fact that you work there) because that could very easily be considered soliciting which isn't allowed. (I didn't report because I see it's not your first post, so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Cool that you work for the Hitching Company, I've been friends with Mike & Barb (the owners) for years!
  • Weird. If they were near L. Calhoun they could have possibly gone to the Mpls. Sculpture garden by the Walker for photos. I'm pretty sure you don't need a permit to shoot in the garden itself, as I've known photographers that have shot there without permits. The garden is a joint venture between the Walker and the Mpls. Park board. However, if you want to shoot in the greenhouse, that does require a permit.
  • def edit your post please to remove the company and the plug for it.  Not to be all post nazi on you but I'll happily check back to see if it is done.  I don't want you to get banned for something preventable.
  • Looks like it's been reported. Lesson learned I guess!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Sorry, I didn't get on here until a day later and saw the post was deleted.  I didn't mean to break any rules, I just thought that seeing a couple of weddings from an outsiders perspective would maybe help others with their planning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards