Missouri-St Louis

City Museum, The Fox, or The Zoo

Trying to pick a reception venue.  We are looking at The City Museum, The Fox Theater, and The STL Zoo.....  we are probably getting married at The Jewel Box.  Any insight on any of these venues...pro's and con's?  I am a Broadway performer...so the Fox seems like a good fit... but would LOVE your suggestions.  Thank you so much. 

Re: City Museum, The Fox, or The Zoo

• I have been to a party at the city museum where everyone was in skirts and suits. It kinda took the fun out of the venue because you couldn't play or crawl around as much as you  might want. Then again, I'm not sure how much access to the museum your guests would have.
  • I looked at the City Museum, but ended up going with the Magic House instead. Mostly because the City Museum was more expensive and from what I understood guests would not get access to the exhibits (which they do at the Magic House). Not sure about the other two.

Some things you might want to look at to help you to decide is to check out if each venue has required caters or other vendors you have to use. This will impact price and may also influence your decision if you had a certain vendor/cater in mind. Also check to see what kind of tables and chairs each venue has (if any), if you have to get tables and chairs brought in this can be another expense to consider.
  • The City Mueseum's space is sort of small and oddly laid out for guests. I think their max is 250. However, it is ecclectic and artsy and really cool to look around. The Zoo is fun, and it is a non-profit so they don't charge tax for services and rentals booked through the zoo (saves 8ish%). However, it isn't really a formal wedding kind of place and the places I would have preferred to use for a wedding are outside, so they'd be dependent upon weather. I love the Fox- very elegant. Seems like it would be a good fit with your Broadway background. My hesitation with booking there was the seating arrangement- depending on the size of your wedding people could be really cut off from one another. If it were my choice, I'd rank them Fox, City Museum, then Zoo. Other places you may want to check out if none of these are quite right: Kiel Opera House, the Orpheum Theater (I got married there and it was gorgeous), and the Planetarium at the Science Center (has awesome food choices and is beautiful all lit up).
    White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • edited March 2012
    (Nikki, I'm actually a huge fan... I'm a theater lover, and knew your Aunt, she always talked about you. Okay end of fan gush, so I had to say it but onto the real post...) Okay, the Fox is definitely lovely, obviously - but I would check out the Peabody opera house. You would have so much more room and it still has a rich history with performing. And... It's gorgeous. If I had the budget, the Peabody it would have been I have been to a wedding at the Orpheum and I wanted there too but when my mother contacted them she said they told her something like they couldn't actually book the wedding until closer to our date because of the season. I don't think I'm explaining this clearly... But that we wouldn't know for sure we had the venue until like... A month or two before the wedding date and that seems a little fast to put together the details. Or maybe my mom just didn't want the Orpheum and told me a story. Lol
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-st-louis_city-museum-the-fox-or-the-zoo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:87Discussion:e5ac800d-59a0-47ef-85fb-a2f4ce5257f3Post:7d20ef08-eac9-4351-8e23-a1d8382b48b7">Re: City Museum, The Fox, or The Zoo</a>:
    [QUOTE] I have been to a wedding at the Orpheum and I wanted there too but when my mother contacted them she said they told her something like they couldn't actually book the wedding until closer to our date because of the season. I don't think I'm explaining this clearly... But that we wouldn't know for sure we had the venue until like... A month or two before the wedding date and that seems a little fast to put together the details. Or maybe my mom just didn't want the Orpheum and told me a story. Lol
    Posted by Nori82[/QUOTE]

<div>We booked at least 18 months out, but I think it was closer to 20 (we were engaged for a really long time), so I wouldn't be that concerned about the venue not booking in advance.</div>
    White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-st-louis_city-museum-the-fox-or-the-zoo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:87Discussion:e5ac800d-59a0-47ef-85fb-a2f4ce5257f3Post:feb2f1f8-0565-4826-863a-522ef0cbeeed">Re: City Museum, The Fox, or The Zoo</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: City Museum, The Fox, or The Zoo : We booked at least 18 months out, but I think it was closer to 20 (we were engaged for a really long time), so I wouldn't be that concerned about the venue not booking in advance.
    Posted by maryandkirk0909[/QUOTE]

In that case, the Orpheum is lovely. ;)

Also, I asked my mother. She said on the Orpheums website she had to contact who she thinks was the caterer? So perhaps he gave misinformation. So I would try to contact the Orpheum directly then...

I still recommend the Peabody Opera house. ;)
  • Thanks so much guys!  Nori!!  Thank you so much for your kind words.   How did you know Aunt Dana??!   She was an amazing lady!  We will really miss her at the wedding.  Her oldest grandson is getting married the month after me... we are both sure she will be there looking on.   I am taking my fiance to see The Fox ths weekend.  Legally Blonde was produced by Fox Theatricals... so I know and love everybody over there.   They had mentioned having the wedding on the stairs in the lobby and the recption on the stage...so I think we will have plenty of room.   I will also look into The Peabody and Orpheum.  Thank You so much for your help!  
  • Nikki, she was a regular at the salon where I work. :) She was so sweet and knew I loved broadway, so we always talked even tho I was not her hairstylist. Everyone thought she was great. :) I'm sure whichever choice you go with will be beautiful... Congrats!
  • I definitely say the Fox or the Peabody with your back ground!

• Nikki, Dana was a regular at the salon where I work. She was always so sweet, since she knew I was a broadway fan, she'd always keep me updated, even though I wasn't her hairstylist. She was so fun and sassy-always had a cute fancy cane, too. Very fun... I'm sure she's always looking over you, she as so proud. Wherever you choose will be beautiful, congratulations again! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards