Registry and Gift Forum
Options

As a bride, do you prefer registry gifts or cash?

I've always wondered what couples really do prefer. I always feel like a gift off the registry is more personal, but I know lots of people have everything they need and really do just want cash.

So etiquette aside, which would you prefer to receive?

Re: As a bride, do you prefer registry gifts or cash?

• Options
    I honestly don't have a preference.

We haven't gotten too much purchased off our registry yet, but my favorite gift by far is one of our fine china serving dishes from one of my bridesmaids and her husband.  It's not something I'd purchase for myself because I don't NEED it, and every time I use it I'll think of her.  If I don't get the toaster or glasses or vacuum off our registry, I'll buy them because we need them, but I wouldn't buy the china.  It means a lot to me.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options

cash.  No one bought off our registry.  It was so frustrating.  Get a gift for the shower and then money for the wedding!

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Really? I thought it would be obvious. You really can't go wrong with cash. People might feel weird giving it, but I'm pretty sure everyone likes to get it.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_bride-prefer-registry-gifts-cash?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:29260c09-4775-489b-a544-0f54ed088e41Post:76e845a8-2fa4-4c04-a7b6-c18ddd60d643">Re: As a bride, do you prefer registry gifts or cash?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Really? I thought it would be obvious. You really can't go wrong with cash. People might feel weird giving it, but I'm pretty sure everyone likes to get it.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  I like cash, don't get me wrong, but it has zero sentimental value.  Registry gifts are nice because I usually think of the person who got it for me when I use it, and they're not always things I'd buy for myself but want anyway.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    I  would prefer a registry gift. Our registry is filled with things we really need. I'd rather unwrap the gifts then have to go out and buy everything on our registry. A registry gift is also more personal.

I think it depends on the couple. Older/established couples likely prefer money, where younger people probably want stuff off the registry. Like me :)
  • Options
    I picked no preference.  Of course, everyone likes cash.  But the stuff on our registry was there because we needed or wanted it.  Either way was fine with us.
  • Options
    I'd rather get our registry gifts.  We're establishing our household, so we do need the things on our registry. 

Some of the things on the registry are versions I like but woudln't spend that much on myself, so if I were given cash I'd probably buy less expensive versions of registry items.  Most of what we have are inexpensive Walmart, target and hand-me-down items.
  • Options
    I agree with one of the pp's. I'd like the gifts off the registry at my bridal shower, but cash at the reception. I will be very appreciative for either though of course! If it's on our registry, then that means we picked it out and really want and/or need it! 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_bride-prefer-registry-gifts-cash?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:29260c09-4775-489b-a544-0f54ed088e41Post:6e1ad5cf-4af5-44c6-bbe4-edd33da43a53">Re: As a bride, do you prefer registry gifts or cash?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I think it depends on the couple. Older/established couples likely prefer money, where younger people probably want stuff off the registry. Like me :)
    Posted by texaslolamy[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's true.  Younger couples often want to buy large items that you can't put on a registry (house, furniture, car) and would rather have cash toward those than traditional registry gifts.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    I would generally prefer gifts from the registry.  Some cash is certainly appreciated, but we still need a number of household items.

I tend to be on the thrifty side, so there are a lot of items I would love to receive as a gift but would be too cheap to go out and purchase.  Most cash would just get saved in my bank account, and not necessary go to anything exciting.
  • Options
    We mostly got cash, which I really appreciated because one of our cars was totaled three days before our wedding, but I would have liked more things from our registry (we only got 5 things, everyone else gave cash).  It was really nice to get the little presents in the mail :)
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    i have no preference... me and my FI both had apartments at one point or another so we have most of what we need... the stuff we are putting on the registry is stuff we would need... if we get cash then we can put that towards a larger item like a new bed or invest it in savings for a down payment on a house
  • Options
    I chose a gift off the registry...it's always more fun to open a present rather than cash.  And there are some things I put on our registry that I probably would never go and buy if I was just given cash.
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    if I didn't want the gifts on my registry, I wouldn't have registered for them. gifts all the way. I feel tacky opening a check.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    Well, it's good to know I have a reason for never being sure what people prefer! I actually haven't even answered my own poll because we haven't started registering yet. Thanks for the insight!
  • Options
    Gifts for shower, cash for wedding. That is just simply how it is done here.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

I agree with PP's registry gift for the shower or engagement but cash always at the wedding. That's all I've ever seen done.

• Options
    My mom had an idea about registry gifts: every time you use it, you remember your wedding.

My dad's cousin (widow with 2 boys) uses what my parents got for them all the time, so now she says it reminds her of her husband and their wedding day.
  • Options
    I would prefer gifts off our registry.  Both FI and I will be moving in a brand new house AND moving in together for the first time. We will need all of the practical things!  I definitely wouldn't complain about either one though.

I would think couples that have had a house/apartment or have been living together would probably prefer cash because they can get more use out it that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Cash.... but we will probably get things from the registry.  We live in very crowded 550 sq foot apartment.  Just thinking about gifts/blenders stresses me out.... I didn't even want to register but my mom (old fashioned) was adamant.  Looks like all those gifts we get will be stored at my parents house for years!  We want to buy a house but its not going to happen anytime soon.  The gifts will stay in boxes at my parents or be returned...
  • Options
    I would prefer gifts off of the registry, chances are if we get cash it'll go to something that isn't necessarilly for us. I'm really bad at spending money, even if it's given as a gift, on myself and rarely ever do it. Money is nice, but it's nice to get things for the house that I would never normally buy us.
  • Options
    I can't wait to register for gifts!  We both are in our 30s, and much of what we both have are the post-college hand me downs.   We are both looking forward to a full set of silverware that isn't mismatched from our parents/siblings!  
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    [QUOTE]Anyone who says that they would prefer a gift over cash is not paying for their own wedding.
    Posted by harri339[/QUOTE]

Uh, or genuinely wants/needs the things on their registry.  As I said before, I do need all of the items on the registry.  If I were purchasing them rather than receiving them as gifts, I would be buying cheapie versions but would love to have the slightly nicer versions of those items.

And while my parents are generously contributing, FI and I are also putting a lot of cash into our wedding as well and planning a budget wedding.
  • Options
    Well we have already lived in our house for a year and a half and pretty much have everything we need. We would perefer cash but dont want to seem tacky by not registering. Any ideas?
  • Options
    [QUOTE]Well we have already lived in our house for a year and a half and pretty much have everything we need. We would perefer cash but dont want to seem tacky by not registering. Any ideas?
    Posted by gmiles[/QUOTE]

I think there are more ideas in recent threads, but make a small registry of upgrades, fun stuff, or tools.  Have your parents and WP tell those who ask that you already have everything you need (or suggest a gift certificate for a favorite restaurant, etc).  Your guests should be able to figure out based on those things that cash is preferred, and those who just aren't comfortable giving cash can buy something off of the registry.
  • Options
    I prefer to get and give gifts, not cash.

Cash is nice, but to me it's impersonal. I always give gifts for shower and wedding gifts, and usually from the registry. Usually peoples registry never gets empty and these are clearly things they want, but probably wouldn't spend the cash on.

I'd much rather get gifts (from the registry or not) than cash (which I will also fully appreciate!). But given the choice, I'd prefer a gift.

And yes I am financially contributing to my wedding.
  • Options
    In my opinion i think the Bridal Shower is for gifts off the registry and the wedding is to give money.  In some case it gets switched which is fine.  For example my friend didnt have enough money (in her opinion) to give a "good" gift at the wedding if she was going to give money, so she bough something off the registry and gave it at the wedding.  Either or is fine considering the person registered.  Unless its something amazing or really personal i do not want a gift that isnt on my registy.  If i dont need it i didnt register for it or my taste doesnt include a wooden decorative bowl.  Its the gift givers choice to give a gift or money either work but please stick to the registry if you choose to go that route.
    Anniversary Lilypie Maternity tickers image due, March 15
  • Options
    We're a young couple, but we've both got student loans, we need a car, want some big ticket items like a new mattress,, and have been living together for a while. 
    Free money sounds like heaven right now. 

We registered for some awesome stuff, but we didn't go hog wild. We'll love anything we get, but are really hoping for not too many off-registry items just because we didn't register for that much.
  • Options
    Cash... hands down. I know people have said that they feel a gift is more thoughtful, but if I picked the gift out by registering, I don't really agree with that sentiment. We are 28 and FI is a doctor (but only a resident), so we don't make tons and would love to have money towards a house. Where I'm from (Long Island), people register for gifts and people buy them as engagement gifts or for showers, but cash/check is the norm for the actual wedding.
  • Options
    I picked cash, but my FI and I have been living together for 3 years currently and by the time of the wedding it will be almost 5 years.  We have tons of stuff already, and are looking to buy our first house.  So cash, is the best gift people could give us. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards