New York

Day of coordinator

Does any have any recommendations?

Re: Day of coordinator

• edited December 2011
    What area?  What price range?  What venue?
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_day-of-coordinator?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:d9c90462-4288-46c8-b870-c83858094613Post:1953ec9c-1fea-4681-9d0d-263494ab3ae3">Re: Day of coordinator</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do we need to pull out our map?
    Posted by libordke22[/QUOTE]

Haha no. Chelsea has been on here a few time. I cant remember exactly where shes getting married. But shes on the right board.

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
  • edited December 2011
    lmao Kara!!!! 
    Online Garage Sale
  • edited December 2011
    Wow.

I didn't think it was necessary to indicate what area as I'm on the Central New York board and I'm willing to get anyone from the region.

Again, I'm getting married at Ventosa Vineyards on Sept. 8, 2012. I do not have a price range because I know nothing about day of coordinators, which is why I was looking for help.
  • edited December 2011
    CNY covers a pretty wide range... everywhere from Albany, Utica, Rome, Syracuse, west to Rochester and the Finger Lakes.  If I were to throw some names out from Syracuse, it wouldn't do you much good and we would both be wasting our time.... that's why I asked you to be a little more specific.  Sorry to inconvenience you.

I don't know of any in the Geneva area (which is where Ventosa is)... maybe emie or raes would be of some help.

Is your cermony at Ventosa also?  If so.... don't they have their own wedding coordinator?  It is a pretty good size venue that does lots of weddings... it would surprise me if they didn't have their own.  Places like Glenora, Belhurst, Esperanza, etc all do.  If your ceremony and reception are at the same site, I would just check with them first before you hire someone from the outside that you don't really need.  If your ceremony is at a different location, check with that place too.  I know, for example, my church had a wedding coordinator and so did Glenora, so I really didn't need anyone extra.  Yours may be different.... dunno.
    Online Garage Sale
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_day-of-coordinator?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:621Discussion:d9c90462-4288-46c8-b870-c83858094613Post:c31e2f55-3a0e-4711-a69d-843cbc4dc14b">Re: Day of coordinator</a>:
    [QUOTE]CNY covers a pretty wide range... everywhere from Albany, Utica, Rome, Syracuse, west to Rochester and the Finger Lakes.  If I were to throw some names out from Syracuse, it wouldn't do you much good and we would both be wasting our time.... that's why I asked you to be a little more specific.  Sorry to inconvenience you. [/QUOTE]

It's not about being "inconvenienced." I'm sorry I didn't give more information. I was running out the door to a meeting and thought I had already provided details on the board. My mistake. That being said, I wasn't expecting rude responses.
  • edited December 2011
    The map thing was most likely b/c Kara didn't remember you and we get a bunch of girls from Jersey/NYC that think CNY= Central Park. 

TBH- I only vaguely remember you posting before (it's been a busy month)... so since you don't post regularly, it always helps to give a little more specific info to help everyone narrow down their recommendations.
    Online Garage Sale
  • edited December 2011
    Very good question... Are you having your ceremony and wedding at the same place? If so the above post is correct and usually the on site coordinator is enough.

What do you want from your day of person? That will help narrowing down what type of company to go with. Let me give you a snap shot into why.....

I am planning from Baltimore with TONS of out of town guests. Ceremony at a church and reception at a hotel. There is a lot to be figured out between all the vendors, set up at both locations, coordinating events and schedule etc. I looked at a couple different options and here is what I found.
    These companies offer day of wedding planning in the Syracuse area- which is where I was looking: A Pink door, Bella Weddings, Lovewell Designs (Which is run by a HS friend and is relatively new but she is amazing!), The Events Company (Who I am going with) and Fairytale Weddings.

Prices range anywhere from 600-1800 depending on what you are getting.  A lot of companies work with you based on your needs. I was going to meet with Fairytale weddings (which I believe was 900) but I met with Shannon at the Events Company and was sold on her.

The Events Company offers their package for $1500 and for what I wanted it was the best for us. She has been involved since the day I signed the contract in February. Any questions she has been there right away! She contacts and coordinates all vendors and has set up a schedule that is pretty amazing. She went to our menu tasting and other appointments as well. She looks over all contracts and plays a hand in some of the design aspects. It is good to have someone to bounce things off. She drops everything off to the different places as well. I did ribbon on the vases and she is dropping those off. Everything to the reception and out of town bags as well. It is nice to drop everything off in one place and have her take it from there!

Hope that helps!

Photobucket
  • kks4471kks4471 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I'm surprised you want a "day of coordinator".  I'm just having a close friend and relative help set up, and I plan on speaking with RJ about details.  Maybe since my ceremony isn't until 4pm, I have more time to get ready than you?  I'm trying to convince my mom that I can help set up tables in the morning.  I just really don't feel like I need to spend extra money on a coordinator.  Everyone is different though.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I for one am paying for this bc the last thing I want to do the day if the wedding is set up, trouble shoot problems, etc. I want to enjoy the day and I want my friends and family members to do the same. I don't want it to be a worry for anyone except the person I'm paying and with everything that has come up I'm thankful I have some one to default to. Its good money spent well in my opinion!!
    Photobucket
  • Happily9Happily9 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_day-of-coordinator?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:d9c90462-4288-46c8-b870-c83858094613Post:4d7d8de4-3b91-478c-9ac9-d0eb4a77a35e">Re: Day of coordinator</a>:
    [QUOTE]I for one am paying for this bc the last thing I want to do the day if the wedding is set up, trouble shoot problems, etc. I want to enjoy the day and I want my friends and family members to do the same. I don't want it to be a worry for anyone except the person I'm paying and with everything that has come up I'm thankful I have some one to default to. Its good money spent well in my opinion!!
    Posted by kkozlo2[/QUOTE]

These are the same exact reasons I also chose to have one! :)  Plus, it is very nice to have someone who has more experience in all different areas.  Although... I might not have been so inclined to have one if she wasn't my cousin and I wasn't getting such a great deal!
  • Happily9Happily9 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and just to clarify...(don't want everyone thinking I am putting my family to work instead of enjoying my wedding) she's a second cousin and guest list has been cut off at first cousins....or else we would have a HUGE guest list!
  • edited December 2011
    I think what is odd is that someone would need a "day of" coordinator at a place like Ventosa.... who should have their own.  If I was planning a wedding from long distance, I would most likely enlist the services of a coordinator to help with planning along the way, setting up vendors, providing recommendations, etc.... but if I could manage all that myself, the day-of stuff should be cake (with the assistance of whoever is running things at the site). 

The setting up, trouble shooting problems should be able to be handled by the person running the show at the site (and a place like Ventosa should have someone well capable).... I dunno.... just seems like a waste to me, too.  I get what you're saying kkzolo, but why pay for an extra person (when you are already paying a pretty penny for the venue) to do exactly what the person at the venue should be doing?
    Online Garage Sale
  • edited December 2011
    I didnt have a coordinator. Im in town so I didnt need anyone helping me to plan it (if I had a more demanding job I might have wanted the help) but my venue has a staff who sets everything up according to my directions. They gave me the lay out of the room and I labeled where I wanted everything. I took a pic of my centerpiece set up, and they didnt the rest. My photographer had a list of photos I wanted along with the names of each person so she didnt have to yell "mother of the bride!" and so she could say "pete, chad, jimi, etc...I need you next."

Unless I lived OOT or had a venue like highland forest (somewhere you set up 100% on your own with no staff help) I just dont see the point and think its a bit of a money waster. My opinion of course

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_day-of-coordinator?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:d9c90462-4288-46c8-b870-c83858094613Post:33ba3ea6-a208-408d-8412-f735ba5fbd8c">Re: Day of coordinator</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm surprised you want a "day of coordinator".  I'm just having a close friend and relative help set up, and I plan on speaking with RJ about details.  Maybe since my ceremony isn't until 4pm, I have more time to get ready than you?  I'm trying to convince my mom that I can help set up tables in the morning.  I just really don't feel like I need to spend extra money on a coordinator.  Everyone is different though.
    Posted by kks4471[/QUOTE]

I haven't spoken with RJ about the extent to which he coordinates things, but he did mention he typically stays through dinner, not necessarily the whole evening. If that's the case I want someone there who knows what they're doing to keep the night on track. I also want someone to deal with set-up, to troubleshoot and to think of things I might not have. I don't want to spend over a $1,000 for this service, but I think it could be worth it for less.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_day-of-coordinator?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:d9c90462-4288-46c8-b870-c83858094613Post:aa64d88c-a4a7-4945-9889-0a8d1a3ce856">Re: Day of coordinator</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Day of coordinator : I haven't spoken with RJ about the extent to which he coordinates things, but <strong>he did mention he typically stays through dinner, not necessarily the whole evening.</strong> If that's the case I want someone there who knows what they're doing to keep the night on track. I also want someone to deal with set-up, to troubleshoot and to think of things I might not have. I don't want to spend over a $1,000 for this service, but I think it could be worth it for less.
    Posted by ChelseaB425[/QUOTE]

Whoah!!!  That's a bunch of crap.  Sorry.  I priced Ventosa and for what they charge, they should be there from start to finish and then some.

Our WC at Glenora was there from waaaaay before our guests arrived until waaaay after it ended.  She met with us several times during our planning and was always very helpful.  On the day of, she handled everything from set up to clean up and everything in between.... directing vendors, taking our gifts to our room, even making sure we ate dinner, ate cake and always had full glasses of champagne. 

That really blows my mind that he doesn't plan to stay throughout the entire event.  Yikes.  Sorry.  Now I can definitely see your need for a DOC, but it's really a shame that you would have to find someone else and pay extra for it.... I just assumed that type of service would have been included at your venue.
    Online Garage Sale
  • edited December 2011
    He may have staff that stays longer. I really don't know specifics. It's definitely something I have to look into more. Thanks for the info, kkozlo. That's very helpful in pricig things out.
  • edited December 2011
    Well there ate several reasons why I went with a coordinator. Mist importantly the genesee grande fired two wedding coordinators since I booked with them. ( yup I'm on my third coordinator in 16 months. When the second one got the can- a lot was being lost and I couldn't deal with another coordinator. Also I need things brought and set up at the church and the used agin for the reception . She handles all if that. Oh and I'm 5 hours away... That played a big hand in it. Overall to each their own but I'm pretty sure if doing it over- I'd spend the extra money again.
    Photobucket
  • kks4471kks4471 member
    edited December 2011
    I'm shocked RJ told you he wouldn't stay after dinner!  It's hard for me to comment because I haven't sat down with him to go over every minute of the day, but I definitely expect him to stay til 10pm.  He's already offered to take care of the tent for me, and a few other things, so that's why I didn't think I needed a coordinator.  Our situations are just different, wish I knew a name to give you!
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I went back to my e-mail from late November to see exactly what he said.  This makes me feel better. One (or both) of his assistants must be there throughout the event.

Q. Do we work with you through the whole process and are you there on the day of the event?

A. Yes, you will be working with me primarily through the whole process.  I do have (2) assistant coordinators that work with me on weddings.  I am usually here through out dinner. 
  • kks4471kks4471 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_day-of-coordinator?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:d9c90462-4288-46c8-b870-c83858094613Post:fbbdb8ac-8e3a-456b-b5da-988fff918c3c">Re: Day of coordinator</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went back to my e-mail from late November to see exactly what he said.  This makes me feel better. One (or both) of his assistants must be there throughout the event. Q. Do we work with you through the whole process and are you there on the day of the event? A. Yes, you will be working with me primarily through the whole process.  I do have (2) assistant coordinators that work with me on weddings.   I am usually here through out dinner. 
    Posted by ChelseaB425[/QUOTE]

That's reassuring :)  At least <em>someone</em> will be there haha!  I've got to set up an appt with him in August to get more details.
    Photobucket Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards